PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for Covering Radio Cut Out

Scubado
03-05-2002, 02:24 PM
Had my radio ripped off. I don't really want to replace it but I hate the gaping hole in my dash. Any ideas of how deal with "THE HOLE"?

http://www.donzi.net/photos/jleipham8.jpg

mattyboy
03-05-2002, 02:35 PM
have a plaque made with the donzi logo that should cover the hole, a sign place or a trophy shop should be able to do it. can put the boat name on it or specs on the boat like
boat name
donzi 18 classic
powered by 454 365hp
owner joe doe

Matt

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
03-05-2002, 03:16 PM
Scub, sorry to hear of the bad luck...
If you do replace it the following applies...
I would just to keep it factory for future sale.
Plus there will be speakers that are useless...
Anyway, your preference is your business.

My old 22ZX went through a couple Sonys and the mount tray always covered the whole.
Sony Explodes, (better than stock) are about $150 bucks at this time.
Did they crack or chip the hole out?
You could just have a glass guy cut you a piece of strong white plastic to additionally surrond the new unit, bond it up etc. if so.
If not they took their time!
But if memory serves me right, that area has a slight curve to it that the grey thick gasket obsorbed...
Also, mine did not have a brace strap, hung free (poor design/install by Donzi), so when you put the new in, from the speaker whole use your arm to reach in, hold the back at the right angle then hand tighten in the bottom left then top right screw, then the remaining two...

Yep, detailed but I had to do it quite a few times. Lastly the rigging in my 22 was tight, the hot and ground had little room to pull out, I always had to unplug the wires to get it out. I ended up soldering and shrink wrapping some 3" extender wires so servicing was easier.

Good luck and sorry anbout the bad luck! Did you get straight on the fairing issue? I have some new data on that.
Bryan

Jamesbon
03-05-2002, 05:36 PM
Small plaque reading "Protected by Smith & Wesson!"

Scott Pearson
03-05-2002, 07:15 PM
Replace it with a Tissue Box.....Didnt we all discuss this Radio thing in the past?

(NJ)Scott

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
03-05-2002, 07:25 PM
Scott P, quite insensitive!
Didn't you watch Oprah today? :rolleyes:
Bryan

Scubado
03-05-2002, 08:01 PM
Hi guys,

Thanks for the ideas! I like the plaque idea, I hadn't thought of that. I don't think I'll be replacing the radio, my storage unit only has acess until 8:00PM. Sometimes I have to park it on the street. It's just not worth the sleepless night and agrivation.

Instead of a Plaque that says "protected by Smith and Wesson", maybe a holster for my 44 mag. I'll bet it would put some nice holes in those California jet ski's. Who says road rage is just for the freeways!

The tissue box idea??? You calling me a cry baby Scott? :)

Any other ideas?

Looped
03-05-2002, 08:47 PM
Scubado,

Have you thought of getting a pullout stereo that you can take out at anytime in a matter of seconds leaving just a useless case to the thieves? I have had a bunch of these but you would need to design a rear bracket that will support the stereo that should have been done right from the gecko like Bryan stated. This is the best type of stereo anyway for a boat especially near salt water so that you can take it out when not in use, this will save years of life on the stereo.

Good luck,
Craig

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
03-05-2002, 09:17 PM
HEY SCUB, all the new Sony EXPLODES are removable fronts...
Just an idea....
IF you do choose to install a TISSUE BOX, color coordinate and let us know, so we can all give credit where credit is due!
Might be cool if you had a cold, or....
hhhhmmmmm

Good luck and keep us posted...
Bryan

mattyboy
03-06-2002, 06:39 AM
Scubado,
I think that shot from Scott was directed at me :rolleyes: :D so Scott if not a plaque how about a bird feeding tray for the pink flamingo!
:D :D :D wink :p eek!
or a plaque "anyone found here at night will be found here in the morning"the owner smith wesson!

Jamesbon
03-06-2002, 08:19 AM
Glass it in, touch up with gel, one would never know it was there.

tailwind
03-06-2002, 09:31 AM
Just a quick thought, fabricate a "glove box" out of thin .032 or .040 aluminum or even marine plywood, match the existing 6 mounting holes behind the dash, and cover the front with the Poly-planer wc-3 waterproof cover:

http://www.onlinemarine.com/cgi-local/SoftCart.exe/online_superstore/electronics/stereos/poly_planar_stereo_enclosures.htm?L+scstore+flrf29 18ff722572+1020605061

This would allow a future owner to re-install a stereo at the existing location, and provide you with a great place to put Mr. Smith while underway. When you leave the boat parked, take Mr. Smith, and toss a small charged AC capacitor into the "lined box". Prying hands will remember this day !

Scubado
03-06-2002, 11:35 AM
Hey Guys,

Do you think the removable face stereos really stops theft? What about the speakers? I'm afraid that if I have anything in there I am risking theft and or damage to the boat.

I like the flamingo feeder idea but we don't have flamingos here in CA, maybe a pelican feeder?

Jamesbond,

I thought about filling it in but I haven't worked with glass enough to try it on my own boat. Do you ever travel to CA??? Spring break at Havasu is comming up soon!!!

OK maybe I do need a kleenex holder in there, I do sound like a big cry baby! :)

marcdups
03-06-2002, 05:49 PM
If you have any Triton boats dealers in your area, they do make a glove box with a stereo face plate, and just in case the "bass" fisherman wants to have some beat, just replace it in the already cut out section, if not call Triton boats and talk to Bob Kitts, phone # 1 888 887 4866. Good Luck

Scott Pearson
03-06-2002, 08:54 PM
The tissues would be for you eyes when you get that thing going....or you can make a porta potty out of the hole just incase you are going so fast that you scare the S**T outta your self....

or...how bout one of the View Finder things we all had when we where kids....

(NJ)Scott

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
03-06-2002, 09:04 PM
SCUB, so they got the speakers too? Your not a cry baby, just pissed, we all would be!

Like I said, I would replace thinking about the possible future resale vice covering, even if it is a tissue box.

Where is your boat kept? Most theft is zero deductible.
Bryan

Looped
03-06-2002, 09:06 PM
Oh boy, it sounds like Scott has broken loose from his leash again. Scott I think you have been hanging out with that goat-dog that you have too much recently. :D

mattyboy
03-06-2002, 09:56 PM
Too many taylor ham and cheese sandwiches, that will do that to a man you know :D :p eek!

Matt

Scott Pearson
03-07-2002, 05:50 AM
Craig, Matt,

I hear yea....I'm getting cabin fever. Cant wait for the KY gettogether.

(NJ)Scott

mattyboy
03-07-2002, 07:38 AM
I know how that goes Scott, today and tommorrow will be in the 60's by us, so the Dr orders go to the shore look at the water, work on the project, perhaps bring the 18 to the shore with you. I going nuts they lowered the lake 10' now with this drought it is down another 5 if we don't get rain soon the dustoff my be my first splash of the season. I'll be suicidal by then, plus I just got my invoice for my slip which is high and dry!
Ican't stand this mental torture anymore :confused:

matt