PDA

View Full Version : Mercruiser Silent Choice

Digger
03-05-2002, 12:11 PM
I have an air leak in my silent choice system. (original Mercruiser silent choice/pneumatic system) Air leaks from somewhere, which allows the flappers to slowly close, diverting the exhaust thru the outdrives instead of out the transom. The mechanism works, that is every time I hit the switch it'll divert back thru the transom... but then slowly diverts back. Anyone have experience with that kind of problem? Mercruiser is sending me a parts breakdown by mail, other than that they didn't have much to offer. I imagine there is a "probable first point of failure" to look for but I don't know where to start. I'll probably end up ripping out an oil line or something (oops....thats not it....next)

ideas? any and all welcome thx!

Rootsy
03-05-2002, 05:57 PM
from practical manufacturing and machinery experience i may take a look at the pneumatic cylinders that switch the flappers. after time the piston seals may wear and allow you to leak around the piston slowly, sorta like blowby in an engine. second guess would be the spool that switches the air from one side of the cylinders to the other....

Dave98
03-05-2002, 07:46 PM
Could you use soapy water on the cylinders to help look for air leaks? It will bubble at the point where air is escaping. Just an idea....

Good Luck.

Dave

BigGrizzly
03-06-2002, 01:05 AM
Funny My Corsican works the other way it gets louder.

Randy

Digger
03-06-2002, 06:41 AM
good ideas there, thx guys!!