PDA

View Full Version : Sound System Advice

JimmyP
04-01-2003, 01:44 PM
When I purchased my used 1998 22 Classic a few years ago, I was surprised to see that the boat didn't have a sound system (not counting the through hull exhaust). No big deal, for the last two seasons I've used a portable unit with water resistant speakers / case -- not the best solution but it works.

As I started making my list for this season, I decided to bite the bullet and install a marine system. Basically, I looking for some advice here on the type of equipment, head unit / speakers, amp and speaker location, best tool for making cut-outs and any suggetions on linking it with current electrical system (single battery boat). Also, is this a project I can take on myself or should I leave it to a pro? Sure I can handle cutting / mounting, but not sure just how complicated it will be to tie it into the current electrical system.

Any thoughts / suggestions / recommendations would be appriciated.

Thanks,

Jim

harbormaster
04-01-2003, 02:35 PM
Farmer TX is the one to ask about this one.

His is the best system I have heard.

He has a Sony system with disk changer and huge woofers.

Surfer
04-01-2003, 03:53 PM
I found the BOSE 131 marine speakers to be the best of all worlds if you are going for a standard built in system, (standard meaning no external power amps subs EQ ect.) They have a plastic backbox with a unique shape that enables them to develope a little more bass than a reg. 4" or 6" speaker, and the cone is kevlar, so its all real weather resistant. Fits in the side panels below the dash of the 18' so they ought to fit the 22'. They need about 75 watt/channel to kick em', and any good in dash unit (Sony Marantz) with enough power will work. I build commercial sound systems for a living, and the install is cake, you get instructions with everything. Sounds real good a idle, but almost any system will lose when your runnin at WOT.

DonzigoJR
04-01-2003, 04:29 PM
If your going to put in a system, I would advise to try sound advice for the head unit. I was there today, and they have a clarion cd player built strictly for a beating and water shots. Also, try asking "Donzi Blackhawk" for info about this as well. If I can recall, he has an amp, a sub-woofer, and four speakers in his 22. He may have some great information on installation and location for the amp and speakers. :cool:

David

HyperDonzi
04-01-2003, 04:45 PM
Surfer, How much bass do the 131's have with an amp? We have had them without an amp...sound ok...What does everyone reccomend for subs?

Ranman
04-01-2003, 05:02 PM
Although my boat is a 1997 18 Classic. The 22 should be roughly the same or easier. The exact components are not critical as long as you buy good equipment. I would shy away from a 6-disc changer as they are delicate in favor of an MP3 head unit. One disc full of MP3's would about equal a 6 disc changer without all the hassle.

In the 18 I run a standard auto high-end Alpine head unit mounted with one of those flip down covers, it works great and has a wireless remote that I use from the drivers seat. I don't feel you need a marine head unit unless you boat in salt or are on the water all the time. I trailer to lakes so non-marine is a non-issue. I run 2 Rockford Fosgate amps. One is 4 Channel 4 X 50W and one is 2 channel 2 X 100 (briged to 1 X 200W). For a sub, I run a single Bazooka 10" unit that is pushed all the way up the bow, strapped down to the, "ski chute" and fires forward. It sounds awesome for 1 10 incher. For speakers I run (4) 6 1/2 Alpine Marine units. They sound great, but there are many options, I'd stick with the 6 1/2's though. I would not use the Boses as they are an external mount. The 6 1/2's will go right in the gunwales.

I also run a semi-custom dual battery system all wired with Monster cable. Two batteries mounted in Gil Offshore boxes, connected with Monster cable to a Perko Switch. Let me know if you are interested, I can take and post photos if you like.

Finally, If you can afford it, I would have the whole thing done by a professional. I'm not talking about an automotive sound shop that says "we do boats", I mean a shop who is familiar with marine installations. If you choose to go this route, ask if they can show you photos of previous jobs and find out how many boats they do each year. Good luck.

DonzigoJR
04-01-2003, 06:27 PM
I agree with Ranman when it comes to a professional install. When it comes to stereo's and water its better to let someone with experience install it. Also, if there is a problem, you will most likely get some kind of warranty. :D :D

P.S. Alpine is a very well know unit for having excellence for not skipping. I would certainly consider the Alpine. wink

Woodsy
04-01-2003, 07:02 PM
My System is very similar to Ranmans... I have a Kenwood MP3 Deck, mounted in a standard flip top. I intalled this myself, and as Winni can be a rough lake, it has yet to self destruct. I am using 2 Alpine 50w X 2, powering 4 Boston Acoustic Rally Series 6.5's. For the Kick I have a 10" Bazooka Powered Sub, firing forward under the deck...

You just gotta have tunes...

Woodsy :D

Ranman
04-01-2003, 08:01 PM
Woodsy, I had no idea. That kicks ass. The bazooka is the only way to go for deep bass in a Classic.

tailwind
04-01-2003, 08:19 PM
Hey Folks:

while I do agree with the majority of posts here, concerning an additional amplifier, there does exist a perhaps here a definite alternative:

1. For head units , do go Alpine. They will provide the best separation, less skip, et.
2. For the best amps, forget the japs and go with the best: US Amps, Gainesville FL, A 4 chanelle amp will cost in excess of perhaps $700.00.
3. Speakers: MB Quarts, hands down! If you can find them for $300.00 a pair, grab em.\
Components do count! Sony, Clarion, etc are not and will never be in the same league!

Formula Jr
04-01-2003, 08:38 PM
I don't understand this at all.
You are in a boat. 50 mph or better, looken at the seas. Wind is in your face. Salt spray. Four footers ahead. WHAT DO YOU NEED A SOUND SYSTEM FOR?

<small>[ April 01, 2003, 08:41 PM: Message edited by: Formula Jr ]</small>

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
04-01-2003, 09:06 PM
We have an audio/video shop owner in our club who visits this site often (BillR), power boater himself, 340 PQ.
Based on what I have read here, you might want to shoot him an email, FREE advice, he is great guy and he knows the answers about sound and brands.
You might save a buck, or might not, but you will sound MUCH better than most off the shelf guys, like I said, his advice is solid.
Just FYI....
Bryan

Dr. Dan
04-02-2003, 05:30 AM
:cool: HMMmmmm? Cool....topic, I have a decent little stereo in ours, I turn it on in the driveway sometimes when I'm working on the boat! But to be honest....I side with Formula on this...I prefer the sound of the Thru Hulls to that of Tunes! :rolleyes: I just never use the stereo on the water,never in 2 years? But I have been thinking of doing something serious for the Dock & Beach Parties, I'd be interested in some emailed pics Randy or Woodsy!.... :p
I have a fantastic Blaupunkt(spelling)unit in my Lightning....I believe it's the Alaska II model! If auto units work well.... :D Doc

avanti
04-02-2003, 07:02 AM
We have a Kenwood marine head/CD unit with four Kenwood marine speakers. Two are mounted in the kick panels under the dash and two are mounted behind the front seats in the side panels. This must be where the factory mounts the speakers as the fiberglass behind the panels was already cut out for the speakers. we used a Poly Planar splash cover as extra protection for the head unit and we mounted a Kenwood remote control panel on the drivers side. We have the unit that interfaces with the Sirius satellite radio receiver as we are out in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean and cannot normally get US radio channels. You probably just tap on to your existing fuse panel for power. I think if you take your time and do the job your self you will probably have a nicer installation than some of the so called pros would do. We got the majority of the equipment from the Overton's marine catalog. I wouldn't worry about any extra battery setups as we did not use any extra amps and the unit sounds great especially with the Sirius option.

DonzigoJR
04-02-2003, 10:00 AM
Spending more than several Houndred dollars for a amp on the water is rediculous. I use to take my car to competition's for stereo's and that is not what you want to do on the water. If you want just a good amp that is cheap and powerful, try the Alpine's. They have a 4 channel for about $300 dollars that is great. Also, they make a mono amp that you can hook up a single 10 or 12 to and that will be enough power for the boat to sound like those box chevy's with the 20" rims. You get the idea. If your going to do a system in a boat go for quality and cheap. Alpine makes 6.5 inch speakers, Amps, and head units that are awesome for the money. When it comes to this subject believe me when I tell I would go Alpine on Everything. The brand is great, cheap, and there durable. :D Try and keep they system all one brand and you will be happy with the results. :D

Good Luck with what ever choice that you make.

David

blackhawk
04-02-2003, 06:43 PM
I would highly recommend a Sony disc changer. I think their new ones read 10 seconds ahead. The one I have reads 3 seconds ahead and I have skipped it twice in 3 years.

I have all sony xplode equipment. Head unit/CD player, 10-disc changer, 760 watt 5 channel amp with a 1 farad capacitor, 4 6 1/2" 3 way speakers and a 10" dual voice coil woofer wired in series facing forward under the deck. It rocks!

My only complaint is that when standing outside the boat it is not loud because the speakers are mounted so low. I am thinking about adding 4 more speakers to the amp and running it at 2 ohm and mounting the speakers higher.

In my opinion the Sony stuff is awesome.

Donzigo
04-02-2003, 07:17 PM
Stereo Source: Sound Advice
Stereo: Kenwood Marine (white)
Speakers: Kenwood Marine (four)
Amp: Sony (Red metal? - about $300)
I'm very happy with it.

I went for a ride this morning for an hour in the ocean listening to AKUS (Alison Krauss + Union Station's live albumn, 2002). It's pretty good music. So, is bluegrass country?

<small>[ April 02, 2003, 07:25 PM: Message edited by: Donzigo ]</small>

SkiBeeZ71
04-02-2003, 07:57 PM
Has anyone added speakers to a 22ZX?

I was thinking about that during my first cruise of the year on Monday afternoon (actually, it was the second cruise). :D

farmer tx
04-02-2003, 11:35 PM
Jim,
Here is a photo I posted last year
of the ski locker on our 22c. http://www.donzi.net/photos/mhorne1.jpg

farmer tx
04-03-2003, 12:15 AM
Jim,
Here is another photo of the speaker
location. All equip. Alpine & Polk Audio.
(Scot's memory is failing he's over 40) http://www.donzi.net/photos/horne02.jpg

DonzigoJR
04-03-2003, 11:41 AM
Farmer tx,

That is a great looking set-up. Good job on the install. I bet that system really cranks!! eek! eek! eek!

ToonaFish
04-03-2003, 02:27 PM
You can't help but get weak in the knees when he pushes the knob... eek!

Jake
04-04-2003, 01:07 PM
So is everyone using standard car amps or special marine ones?

Donzigo
04-04-2003, 07:35 PM
Me - Sony Car Amp
Me like!

Donzified
04-05-2003, 10:56 AM
Ranman:
I had no idea you were packin that much heat. Please show it off next time we meet.

Why do you face the under deck speaker forward?

I agree....." You GOT to have tunes".

Fish boy
04-05-2003, 12:12 PM
Damn FarmerTX, that is some pretty seriously cool stuff. Ditto on the nice install comment above too.