PDA

View Full Version : Donzi Classic 16 -need info

Holman-Moody
03-04-2002, 09:27 PM
I'm thinking of purchasing a 1965 Donzi Ski Sporter w. 289 Holman-Moody/Volvo 270 setup and Donzi trailer. The engine needs a rebuild otherwise appears to be in good shape(hull, floor, etc.) Any comments or suggestions and pricing would be appreciated.

Thanks!

mattyboy
03-05-2002, 07:06 AM
Last summer I purchased a 1968 ski sporter w/holman moody 351w. I had looked at several 68's and some mid 90's boats, a turnkey 60's vintage 16 with good gel or good paint in restored like new condition 7k-10k plus trailer? mid 90's boat 10k-17k with v-8 power
H/M was not original on that year boat nor was the volvo 270, the early sixteens had eaton drives, that boat probably was upgraded when the new drives were available. here's what I think about the 16
I love mine
the 270 is a strong drive and parts are available
the 16 is a perfect small lake, bay or river boat,it is extremely fun to drive easy to dock trailer and clean, If you are looking for speed more than 60 and to handle larger water conditions look at an 18 or 22 or if your looking to carry passengers go bigger.
please read the model list at the top of this page, a member here named Formula Jr. has compiled a great history on the 16 well worth reading.
good luck welcome aboard also look the the registry to see some wonderful boats old and new

Matt Veth

Tony
03-05-2002, 09:29 PM
Check the boat over very carefully. When I was shopping for my '67 Ski Sporter (http://www.donzi.net/photos/tsporer1675.jpg) there was much discussion about the fuel tank being made of steel and very prone to rust over time. Replacing it requires puling the deck off.

I sense that some of us are are hesitant to discuss pricing, maybe because we are so biased! Check the "Donzis for Sale" section of this site...I still say that Kent Perroux's '83 18' (http://www.donzi.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=000218) looks like a hell of a nice boat for a decent price.

Good luck and welcome to the board...keep us updated on your progress.

BigGrizzly
03-06-2002, 12:54 AM
We still have our 1966 16, and it is still rock solid. We changed the tank in 1969, just because we wanted an aluminum tank, and deck was off to put in a new engine and relocate the battery to the stern. The Eaton drive now has the Volvo 270 stuff internally only due to an argrument with a telephone pole off the cost of Point Pleasant New Jersey. It is still a great boat in almost any water, and still is not for sale.

Randy

Holman-Moody
03-11-2002, 06:51 PM
Matt, Tony and Randy:

Thanks for the great tips and getting me up to speed with the Donzis! This is going to be my first boat and being very mechanically inclined, I tend to bite off more than I can chew.

I love the history of Donzis. I think I read on this website that the Sweet/Classic 16 is the longest running boat model in production!
They also seem to hold their value much better than most other brands of boats.

Anyway, I'm still looking...the '66 model appeared to need more work and time than I can
devote to it.

Keep the flat side up!

Jack