PDA

View Full Version : Trailer prep advice for the AOTH III haul?

tamburello
04-01-2003, 09:42 AM
The boat is ready for another season but the time has come to start getting the trailer ready for the haul from Michigan to Kentucky for AOTH III.

My trailer was purchased new with the boat in 1996. It is a single axle with torsion bar suspension and the hubs have grease gun fittings. It has approximately 500 miles on it.

I'm replacing the tires and checking the wiring. What addition items should be addressed prior to a long tow? Should the bearings be repacked? Do any of you frequent haulers have any tips on repacking bearings?

- Jeff

<small>[ April 01, 2003, 09:43 AM: Message edited by: tamburello ]</small>

Team Hula Girl
04-01-2003, 10:17 AM
Definitely buy a spare hub or two for the trip. Their not that expensive. Oh, and dont forget to take the greasegun with you. If you can bear the expense go ahead and buy a spare tire. And make sure that you have a lug wrench that will fit your wheels lug nuts. (the one that came with your car/truck will most likely not fit)

I trailer my boat all over Florida and the last thing you want to do is get stuck in Yeehaw Junction without a lug wrench that doesn't fit.

John

olemissalum
04-01-2003, 10:59 AM
I repack my bearings once a season. May be a little anal but I have been stuck once and that was all it took. Grease is cheap!!! Take the wheels off and take out the rear wheel seal. Then take out the rear bearing, clean and inspect both front and rear roller bearing, then inspect for loose bearings, pitting, corrosion, etc... Then inspect the races inside the hub for pitting, wear marks, etc.. If everything looks good repack the bearings and put rear bearing in, then install new wheel seals, fill hub with grease(Lubrimatic grease from Wal-Mart is good stuff) then slide wheel on, tighten axle nut and then put wheel on. You are done and have peace of mind that everything is OK!!!

Rootsy
04-01-2003, 11:41 AM
definitely have a spare tire... especially if you have a single axle trailer... ask me how i know this.. and the bearing packing thing is a good idea too... bearing buddies make that extra shot of quick greasing easier also...

now if i get the boat back together i need to get crackin on this trailer! does it ever end??? frown

olemissalum
04-01-2003, 01:00 PM
Be careful with buddy bearings to not over service them because if you do then their purpose is defeated. Good luck at AOTH, wish I could be there!!!! Next year for sure!!

mattyboy
04-01-2003, 02:55 PM
tire pressure is the key,don't forget the tow vehicle as well,make sure all is well serviced

Matt

Trueser
04-01-2003, 04:35 PM
I would replace the bearings and HUBS with the duralube system

Turbo Lube Hub KITS (http://www.tiedown.com/turbo.html)

These HUBS are great.. No more grease splattered all over the bottom of your boat. You can walk by and check the OIL level without even bending over. The hubs run so cool that you wont even feel any heat when you pull over after 200 miles.

I paid 40-50 dollars per hub includes..BoatUS
* New Hub
* Bearings
* End cover Clear,
Order a spare cover from MFR just in case. Never Needed it. They shipped it to me for FREE.

The bearing's remained in perfect working order all season. And the oil is still perfect...

I used 90WT Oil. And I plan on changing it this spring. There is a drain/fill hole.

This system is sold on all Ranger Boat Trailers.

NO more grease all over your wheels/Mags...

Email me with any Questions.

Mike

Greg Maier
04-01-2003, 05:34 PM
I just replaced my tail lights with the new LED lights. What a nice upgrade. Very simple and they work great.

tamburello
04-02-2003, 08:32 AM
Thanks for all of the great advice and the info on potential upgrades. Those oil filled hubs and the LED lights look like some trick accessories for updating the ole trailer. Time to get some parts and turn some wrenches this weekend. I hope to see some of you in Kentucky!

- Jeff

Sam
04-02-2003, 10:12 AM
Jeff, Jamie Root and I will be hooking up for the trip down. Give us a shout and maybe we can link up with you.

Sam

boldts
04-02-2003, 10:18 AM
We all also get together in Cincinnati, OH off of 75 to add to the caravan. Very impressive going down the road and a great precaution should anyone have a problem on the way. (OK...OK... I'm coming! The boat is almost full of fuel! Who's idea was it to tow this thing empty for better fuel economy in the truck anyway?)

Formula Jr
04-02-2003, 03:20 PM
After you repack/replace the bearings and races, do not replace the bearing buddys till you have run the trailer 50 or more miles. You'll then have to check the castle nuts to see if they need to be tweaked. I always bring a 2 1/2 ton floor jack with me and check the trailer wheels while they are off the ground for looseness and binding. The best trailer tires I've found are the Nanking loadmax C rated radials. They are spendy, but last much longer than the carlisles. Also, if you do get a spare hub - highly recommened - make sure its of the exact same design as whats on your traoler right now. Some spare sets have fixed stubs and nuts and some have bolts.

Dr. Dan
04-02-2003, 07:24 PM
:D Ditto on Poodles Post, and I agree with Formula on the 2 Ton Jack....last year on the way down to Florida for the Owners Rally, "Air 22" our local Fly Boy...fried 2 tires on his Trailer. The larger Jack made switching it with the spare a quick task. I also carry a 4 way wrench, and may buy a breaker bar just to spoil myself. Tire pressure is extremely important to check for long hauls...do a check before moving your Trailer and Boat down to your local Gas Station..take note of each tires "Cold Reading", then check it prior to filling at the station...depending on the distance traveled ..you may see quite a difference. Low pressure will gaurantee you an opportunity to try out your new Jack and Breaker Bar. I carry 2 spares and 2 Jack Stands, I have a Tandem axle for the 22...if you trailer at all, you should have a spare! Just ask Air Boy...definitely carry a grease gun and spare cartridges of the goo! What ever you do make sure your Transmission in your 165,000 mile Pick Up Truck is out of overdrive before you hit the hills to Kentucky! :rolleyes: How do I know this? Safe Travels...Lake Cumberland is a beautiful place...but all the Donzi Owners are clearly what make these Events worth the trip!... :cool: Doc

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
04-02-2003, 07:31 PM
My only advice would be have spare fuses for the tow vehicle, especially the one that runs the tow rig wires.
I made a tight turn once and the fuse in the tow vehicle blew, thank goodness Walmart is 24 hours a day when on the road.
Bryan

ITTLFLI
04-03-2003, 08:49 AM
Looks like you guys have this topic covered!

I would like to add that if you need any parts or accessories HASKINS HITCHIN POST is one of the sponsors of the AOTH III. They have almost everything in STOCK!

How do I know this? My brother Brandon is the General Manager. Call him for those LED lights!!

Haskins Hitchin Post
1-877-542-1733
htchnpst@onenet.com

ask for Brandon and tell him your a DONZI FREAK!