PDA

View Full Version : Hornet question

AIRGRADY
05-24-2000, 09:54 PM
I found a Hornet powered by a small block MerCruiser 350/260 and I am curious as to what the top speed of this boat might be. Do you guys think it will break 55 mph? I do not know if it is an alpha or trs drive.

Thanks,
Grady

rayjay
05-25-2000, 08:37 AM
While we are on this vein, I found a 19' Hornet II that has a TRS set up for a BBC. The engine is missing, which is perfect for me. I know it is not a "Classic", but what are the pros and cons of a Hornet? BBC Hornet with TRS? Will the TRS take serious power, and what, if any, mods would be required to the TRS to take it? Any suggestions on an engine combo? I love to go fast, and I will mostly be boating on the LI Sound and Hudson River. Also, has anyone looked at the "25'" Hornet on BoatTraderOnLine? Thanks, rj

[This message has been edited by rayjay (edited 05-25-2000).]

AIRGRADY
05-25-2000, 08:16 PM
I would consider it a classic. In fact the original design dates back to the 1960's. I have heard the TRS is good to 450 hp but there is an external trans which adds weight and moves the engine slightly forward. I could also be slightly misinformed.

HORNETS are truly a beautiful and functional runabout in my opinion. Without question, my favorite Donzi hull, although some people do not find them attractive. Part of the appeal to me is the fact that you can have an identity with a Hornet since there are so few of them.

My 2 cents

Emmo
05-26-2000, 12:22 AM
I would definitely put the Hornet in the Classic category. It is a great boat and has been around as long as most of the others. Forrest has a Hornet III(?) with a 454 and a TRS. The Hornet is an order of magnitude bigger than my 18 but Forrest's boat, even loaded with many friends and a large cooler full of beverages will do at least 65 mph and his motor is not fresh. What do you have to say Mr. Coile?

------------------
Emmo mailto:emmette@emmette.comemmette@emmette.com</A>

CDMA
05-26-2000, 02:43 PM
I love my 18 but I have never used it but I can tell you it already feels small. The hornet is about the only Donzi that I would sell mine for. It still has the speed but you get more room as well as a better sea boat ( In my mind at least). Just shear size and freeboard.

Chris

GeneD
05-27-2000, 06:51 AM
Yeah, the 18's just don't have enough room in the cockpit.
The Hornet appears to be just right.

------------------
GeneD
Melbourne, Florida