PDA

View Full Version : Being stupid, isn't fun

Formula Jr
03-04-2002, 05:19 AM
Today was a really nice day, so I was going to fire up the boat and run the local lake. So I opened the engine hatch and to my horror, saw that I had not disconnected the battery while the boat sat for three months thru a NW winter. Needless to say, the battery leak combined with dissimilar metals and humidity, caked up all my connecters and ate my carb up. I can't yet come to grips with the damage done. So Guys, learn from this, remove the battery during long layups.
Does any one know of a sacrifical anode system you can tie into the ground of the boat and, say pound into the dirt if you are storing on a trailer?

Poodle, this is NOT a time to expound the benefits of a Florida Climate...... :mad:

marcdups
03-04-2002, 07:49 AM
Sorry to hear that Owen, hope it is not too bad!!

I am going to check my boat today, do not remember if I unhooked the battery, but it is still in the boat eek! eek! eek!

Good Luck

KMLFAMILY
03-04-2002, 07:56 AM
I work for the local gas co. here in MA.Although i am not involved with the gas work. I am in the repair garage. I see the guy"s going out with the anode bag"s all the time.The anode bag"s are about 3 feet long,8 inches wide, with a wire hanging out,made of burlap.They attach it to the pipe wiith a quick solder and fill the trench.If you knew someone who work"s at your local gas utility they could get you one.It sound"s like you have to ck. every elec. connection.Beside"s starter,alternator, etc. Have patience,GOOD LUCK

Rick
03-04-2002, 07:57 AM
Thanks for the word, only way we can learn. Rick

alljet
03-04-2002, 08:10 AM
Sorry to hear about that one. Here's another reason to disconnect the battery. If something makes contact, you can wind up with a closed 12 volt circuit and fire can result. Just one mouse chewing through a wire harness can do this. A few years back we had this happen to a bass boat in the storage barn adjacent to ours. Forty boats and classic cars went up in flames as a result. Thankfully for me the firefighters stopped the blaze about ten feet from the adjoining wall to my barn, and none of my customer's boats got anything more that some soot damage. By the way, watching a barn of boats go up is pretty spectacular. They go off one at a time when their gas tanks can't take the heat any longer!

BigGrizzly
03-04-2002, 07:56 PM
Owen this is no consulation, but, I never saw one this bad in three months. I have always been awhere of the electraulasis /corosion deal.In the 1950->60 my dad use to line the battery box with lead. We were always pleagued with reverse polaarity. I have always removed the battery and never though that much damage could occure. Just a point I always disconnect the battery when not in use even for two days.

Randy

Sam
03-04-2002, 09:05 PM
Owen, don't feel to bad we have all been there in one way or another. Take me for example, late last summer I kinda forgot to check the water level in all four batteries in my cruiser. You got it, all of them cooked well done.

Sam

oldLenny
03-05-2002, 10:15 AM
Owen, wouldn't one of the selector switches, you know, 1,2, BOTH have isolated this sufficiently? That is what I have always used. As well, I used a sealed battery configuration. I have now seen 2 batteries blow in my lifetime and it is a very powerful explosion. Any low battery fluid level will allow for this hydrogen arc/spark to happen and I wouldn't be surprised if, when it did, it went through your deck. I had the hood dented (a lot) in a GMC pick-up from this as well as a small car.

DON N.
03-05-2002, 02:54 PM
HAS ANYONE TRIED THE NEW DRY CELL BATTERIES ?

Formula Jr
03-05-2002, 08:50 PM
Yes an isolator probably would have helped. if i had the brain power to turn them off before putting the boat away. This is the worst galvantic oxyidation I have ever seen. I think now that Poodle is right about corrosive gas from the Battery. The damage is too extensive to come from stray voltage alone. For instance, the entire carb throat is toast and every where in the engine compartment where one metal is in contact with a different metal, the entire joining surfaces are blown out with that crusty stuff you always see on old battery terminals. I guess the sulphuric Acid in the Battery somehow out gased and reacted with all the metals. Oh Well, I was going to get a new carb and a dressup kit anyway. Live and Learn....

Blewbyu
03-07-2002, 10:43 PM
Aw Jeez Owen!!!!!That sucks!
Now I gotta' run thru the snow to check mine.I've never in my life removed the battery,but always turned 'em off.What you got.....salt water in your mudpuddles???? :mad:

Blewbyu
03-07-2002, 10:45 PM
BTW- I was stupid once.......then I got older.
And more stupid! :D

Dr. Dan
03-08-2002, 08:12 AM
O.K. You guys got my interest here? Does it make a difference if you have new batteries, Gel Batteries or what...I have not experienced this. I do remove mine for the winter ie. after the Sarsota event..they go down to the basement, on some wood slats to keep off concrete. I check them periodically through out the winter with the trickle charger, Spring comes I put them both back in and its Donzi Season! No corrosion during the Donzi Season that I can detect, I definitely do not pull them after each days run! :p So am I lucky or an idiot? eek! Does living near Salt Water impact this for those guys near a real coast? Just Curious??? :D ...Doc

Blewbyu
03-08-2002, 07:47 PM
Doc-If ya have good batteries and good electrical connections to them,you shouldn't have a problem.
BTW-the old "batteries on the concrete" deal is an Old Wives Tale.Bunch of HooHaa. :rolleyes: Doesn't hurt a bit to leave 'em on the concrete.The pallet is a better idea if you have any water incursion to the concreted area tho.

Dr. Dan
03-08-2002, 08:00 PM
:D

Blewbyu
03-08-2002, 08:05 PM
Forgot to mention:If you moor for any length in a salt water marina, be sure your neighbors in adjacent slips have properly grounded power cords.A boat owner in a well known Seattle marina dropped his ungrounded cord in the water and left on a cruise.The 3 boats in the nest slips sunk.Two big wood sailboats,and a f/glass 21' cruiser.The glass boat had most of his outdrive and several thru hull fittings below the waterline destroyed and the wood boats lost their fasteners(both bronze and Monel)and popped their lower planks.$1.2 mil as I recall.Electrolysis did the job in two days!Both the sailboats were carefully restored classics.Glass boat was worth about $3500.00.Can happen in freshwater too, just slower process. :mad: :mad: :mad:

doug hess
03-08-2002, 08:21 PM
It is the discharged batteries that freeze and crack in extreme cold. Keep them charged and there should not be a problem. Even when disconnected there is sometimes a slightly conductive, invisible dirt film that presents discharge path between the terminals. The film will discharge the battery over long periods of disuse. It is a good idea to hose or wash off batteries left in freezing temperatures for long periods.

Formula Jr
03-09-2002, 03:49 AM
So Jeff, are you saying that if the cord had been grounded properly, a GFI might have done its job? Next time in Maryland, stompin around, I'm going to have to check out some marinas and see if the shore power systems are all set up GFI. I never even thought about it before.

Dr. Dan
03-09-2002, 07:02 AM
This is good info..ya think the industry does't work hard enough to make alot of this very plane and openly disclosed as they do other issues, could be planned obsolescence, just like the auto industry, heck, everything wears out...but some bone head in a Marina could help to ruin your day on a long term basis :( ...I guess in this case, most Donzi owners trailer or remove their boats anyway, so the real risk is when we are all attending these great regional events and what the conditions are like in the Marina/Facilities we use for those functions? It would suck to see "Way Lo or Van Gogh Pearsons 18" on the bottom of the Marina... eek! , well actually it would stink for this to happen to anyone!!!Thanks for the info guys! What specifically should we be looking for as a precautionary measure when we do either come into a place for overnite(Sarasota last October), is it as detailed as literally checking each boat and the system to see if it is a GFI type set up, I would think that this would be a Marina requirement. :rolleyes: Or is this not that big of a deal for such a short time basis normally!!!...Doc

Blewbyu
03-10-2002, 07:22 PM
Doc-Right On!Not USUALLY a big deal for overnight stay.Legal marinas are now required to have ALL the preventive measures taken in their wiring,and code is very strict.Only old beater docks in remote areas that may not see a State inspector for years would be suspect and worth checking out.
Regards-Jeff

Blewbyu
03-10-2002, 07:45 PM
Poodle-In the Seattle incident, it was the lack of GFI on the power cord that caused the problem.The boater that left the dock had unplugged the cord from his boat, and dropped the plug end in the water.The cord was still plugged into the power source-it was "zip" cord(two wire) and heavily insulated so no one noticed the missing ground wire until the insurance adjuster found it.The boatowner had "made it himself",and was actually pretty proud of it!The receptacle at the power source was properly wired, but in spite of that the marina was held partially responsible!Most likely because of "deep pockets" tho-the boatowner that dropped his cord had NO INSURANCE!!!and of course, no money.You Dam Betcha EVERYONE in marina moorages MUST have proof of insurance coverage to moor NOW.