PDA

View Full Version : " I said, OPEN THE BRIDGE"

Sagbay32
03-03-2002, 09:02 AM
Some amazing pics. What a ride that must have been.

www.bleeding.com/~jjwolf/tugboat/ (http://www.bleeding.com/~jjwolf/tugboat/)

Shanghied Again
03-03-2002, 10:15 AM
That is Unbeilevible! Could you imagine how they felt when they hit the bridge! eek!

Moody Blu'
03-03-2002, 11:53 PM
I figured that would be here, that is crazy how it just poped up again.

you bet that captain was like wheww, at the same time he must have been like holy cr*p I cant believe that just happened!

CrackerJack
03-04-2002, 07:11 AM
Ted,
Is this some new maneuver learned in captains
school? Jack

Jake
03-04-2002, 04:35 PM
I think that it's fair to say that the captain of that boat is no longer working for that company.

Sagbay32
03-05-2002, 03:12 PM
One of my boatnerd buddies sent me the storyto go w/ the pics:

Mv. Cahaba at Old Demopolis, Ala. Bridge - April 28, 1979

These photos were posted in a prominent display at the christening of the Capt. Ed Harris in Buffalo, W.Va. on June 11, 1999 at the time the Cahaba was given her new name by Madison Coal. Nelson Jones probably still has the display. At that time it was told that it was common for vessels for that particular river to release their barges to go under the bridge and then to pick them up after the towboat had proceeded through the bridge opening. In this particular case, a face wire failed to unfasten and the boat was dragged under. Her captain stated that everything came loose except a life preserver. When she resurfaced he started the engine and managed to catch the tow and proceed to their destination.Shortly afterwards, the Cahaba was laid up and was dormant until purchased by Madison Coal and re-powered, refurbished, and renamed.