PDA

View Full Version : Bottom Paint

FJB20
03-02-2002, 09:45 PM
Is there such a thing as "WHITE" bottom paint.
Need to paint the bottom again this season and I'm Tired of Dark Blue. THANX!!! FJB20

CDMA
03-02-2002, 09:50 PM
There is and I have used it. However I would not recommend it. The white really isn't white and it discolors quickly. The copper in the bottom paint actually oxidizes and you see green in the paint. Not to mention it gets dirty and scummy. Instead of being hidden by the dark color it stands out like a sore thumb. I tried it once on a whaler and after 2 weeks I went back to navy blue. It just hid the dirt a lot better.

Regardless of what you use I have had great experience with Pettit. I also have been using the ablative paints even on my high speed boats. While some say they are only for slow boats my personal experience has been great on the the bottom of 2 whalers. It has a few advantages. First it never builds up like conventional paint and secondly you can pull the boat out and relauch it and the bottom paint will still be effective.

Chris

BigGrizzly
03-03-2002, 06:51 AM
I matched the baby blue on the 16 just right, after two tries. The 18 I used Try-luxII it worked well but water stains at the waterline. This is antifouling paint, and I’m assuming this is what you want. I no longer worry because I dunk only on weekends and have a Hydro Hoist for longer stays.

Randy