PDA

View Full Version : The Best Life Jacket

Kirk
03-31-2003, 08:14 PM
Folks,

Been looking to gear up for the season and am seeking input as to the maker of the best "Life Jackets" on the market taking in mind the potential warp speeds we all can reach.

Safety and funtionality are most important. Can they be integrated into a "Kill Switch System"??

Thanks for the input!!

KJ

Tony
03-31-2003, 08:26 PM
Don't know much about 'em, other than the several guys who recommend "Lifeline". Also, I think the most comfortable vests use co2 inflation, but I could easily be wrong.

As for the kill switch (currently being installed on my 16) don't you just clip it to your wrist, or trunks, or life jacket, or whatever?

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
03-31-2003, 08:59 PM
My plug for safety, we always wear ours.
Kids wear type 2's and my teen just moved into a Lifeline also.
When you wear them all the time you are used to them, they even have a pocket for stuff.
They have special Lanyard eyes too, routine for us.

http://www.donzi.net/photos/tuvell123.jpg
Bryan

<small>[ March 31, 2003, 09:03 PM: Message edited by: Bryan Tuvell 26ZX ]</small>

BUIZILLA
03-31-2003, 09:16 PM
I can't remember the exact issue, but Boat U.S. did a write-up on vests and safety, or was it Boating....
All I know is, I came away with a completely different thinking about vests vs jackets vs life preservers...
If I can search for the article, I'll try and paste it here. Very worthwhile reading.

J

roadtrip se
03-31-2003, 09:17 PM
Lifeline all the way! We have impact material in ours which functions like a flak jacket protecting the rib cage and supporting the neck, as well as providing floatation.

In a high performance Donzi, the chances of hitting something inside the boat, like a windshield, during an accident make the investment very worthwhile. A ski jacket or one of those ribbon, CO2 blow up things, is not going to provide this level of protection.

And Bryan is right, we wear ours all the time and they are no big deal even in the heat of summer.

Wear lifeline or don't bother!

Todd

harbormaster
03-31-2003, 11:34 PM
Bryan, where'd you get the donzi ones??

BigGrizzly
04-01-2003, 12:31 AM
The best Lifejacket is the one that is worn. If you don't wear it it doesn't work no matter how much it costs!! My family wears the auto inflatable ones. LifeLine is great for things flying at you kind of like a flack jacket as well as flotation.

<small>[ April 01, 2003, 12:32 AM: Message edited by: BigGrizzly ]</small>

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
04-01-2003, 04:12 AM
Scot, I ordered them from LIFELINE.
Bryan

tamburello
04-01-2003, 09:27 AM
They're not cheap, but the Lifeline jackets are the best. I ordered the offshore model a couple years ago. They'll make a jacket in pretty much any color combo you want and you can even get names, logos, etc. embroidered on the jacket.

The pleasure version jacket is less bulky and a little more comfortable than the offshore jacket, especially in the summer heat. When the summer heat kick in I swap my Lifeline for a Sospenders auto-inflating jacket.

Lifeline jackets (http://www.lifelinejackets.com/)

- Jeff

Robert Geoghegan
04-01-2003, 12:47 PM
Although Lifeline are the best, beware, they are not "Coast Guard Certified". Having been pulled over and inspected once, they don't have the certification-(at least the race jackets don't),I had two cheap life jackets on board which were certified and saved my butt! :D

<small>[ April 01, 2003, 12:50 PM: Message edited by: Robert Geoghegan ]</small>

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
04-02-2003, 07:43 PM
BOBG has a valid point.
Yet, we are inspected yearly by the USCG, and they have yet to give us any crap about the Lifeline jackets.
That USCG sticker on the wind screen keeps the fuzz off us.
Bryan

Last Tango
04-05-2003, 10:55 PM
Lifeline.
Yes, they are more expensive than the average PFD, but they are far more comfortable, far better built, and I consider the difference in price to be excellent life insurance.
I had a chance last year to visit the Lifeline factory in Parker, AZ. Very impressive, and I was able to pick all the goodies I wanted right there and try everything on for size and fit before I spent my money.
As for the "US Coast Guard Approved" lable... every race team and driver in boat racing wears equipment and floation from Lifeline. I don't see the Coast Guard pulling any of them over for non-compliance at the pre-race tech inspection...
I also have a set of SOSpenders. Nice - but you either have to be conscious after entering the water and capable of manual inflation, or chance that poorly maintained actuators will work (come ON, are you REALLY going to service those CO2 bottle actuators before you take the boat out each time?).
I also agree with BigGrizz - no amount of spent or saved money is going to mean anything if you run at high speed with the PFD's stowed below.
Catch your tan at idle speed or below.

Mark (Supreme SEADOG)

Last Tango
04-14-2003, 10:54 AM
New serious contender in the life jacket arena:
www.stayaliveinc.com (http://www.stayaliveinc.com)
I saw these and spoke with the creator at the APBA race this weekend in Daytona. THESE jackets ARE USCG APPROVED and can be used successfully to meet your OTHER safety equipment requirements for the boat, as well. You only need a fire extinguisher and a throwable Type 4 PFD to finish the checklist.
The website lists these for $199.00, but the owner said if you CALL HIM on the PHONE, and order, he will give a 20% discount!
I tried one on for size and it is lighter and more comfortable than my LIFELINE jacket! More open around the sides for coolness, and less "stuff" around the neck. Super strong and bouyant, though.
As an ex-Naval Aviator, I missed having my survival gear attached to me. Now I can have my stuff when and where I will need it, and not just stowed under the back seat of my 18.

Cuda
04-14-2003, 04:31 PM
Those stayin alive vests are very interesting and a very good idea. Do you know if they are speed rated?