PDA

View Full Version : 18 Classics - Seat Tracks Don't Stay Put!

Rich Maas
03-31-2003, 07:18 PM
I can't seem to get the seats in my 18 classic to stay tightened in position. I've got the white handle with the threaded rod under the seat and a butterfly nut on the other side to pinch the seat against the rails. It just doesn't seem to stay tight enough and the seats slide usually when I'm doing 50+. Does anyone else out there have the same problem or any suggestions to rectify? Is there some sort of retrofit kit available or do I just need to go to the hardware store and pick up some kind of lock nut?

Ranman
03-31-2003, 07:31 PM
Rich,

You did not specify the year of your boat, so I'm assuming it is the '87 listed in the Registry. I'm not too familiar with this vintage, and it sounds like your seat frames are significantly different than that of the later models. You can however, retrofit the late model seat frames into an older model boat if desired.

The 22 Classics, and some 16 Classics have a swivel type seat whereas I have not seen this in factory form on an 18 (that I know of). The 18 Classic frames do adjust fore and aft, but do not swivel. The swivel types that I have seen, generally raise the seat too far off the floor (especially since the 18's have the molded in, raised floor base.)

The current seat frames used by the factory on the 18 CLassics are made by Springfield. A simple search of the Donzi.net archives will turn up this info. Search for Springfield or seat frames . Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

<small>[ March 31, 2003, 07:34 PM: Message edited by: Ranman ]</small>

harbormaster
03-31-2003, 11:31 PM
My Springfield seat frames really were the pitts!

They are cast and the ears break off.

I suggest getting some machined ones. I bought mine from Garelick (Boat US).

BigGrizzly
03-31-2003, 11:57 PM
My Corsican has a friction slide that always use to move (along boltwith handle squesed the tracks together). I fanaly got tired and bolted at the back of the track. I did see a nice set in Calbwla.s with seat trak with locks I may try.

Ranman
04-01-2003, 08:15 AM
The old Springfield units were indeed cast and not worth a damn. The newer versions used in todays Classics are still made by Springfioeld, but are made from much stronger extruded aluminum.

Zinger
04-01-2003, 03:51 PM
Just put some big people in the back seats only lose a couple mph but won't lose your seats. My 86 has snaps every other inch.

tailwind
04-01-2003, 07:22 PM
Great topic folks!
Found similar problems on my 91 -"18".

1. The seat tracks are extuded aluminum, both upper and lower. If we search earlier posts, we will find similar problems involving seat tracks coming loose at the base - (fasteners).
When the lower track bolt, nuts vibrate free - tough situation! Therefore, always tighten the seat track bolts before they separate. Please tighten the lower fasteners every time you can!

2. Accordingly, if they can not be secured, the only alternative here is to cut an access plate to provide access. I would only try this if you do not have at least 3 bolts holding the seat firmly.

3. The seat adjustment clamps are notorious for slippage. Ther is a small spine on the adjustment screw / handle , which tightens down on the track, via flat washers! these flat washers will always fail, leading to unoperative seat adustment. Take a close look here and you will see the defect. Fix is to replace the washers with a closer tolerance washer such as stainless, problem solved, initially. Do not let the shaft spline penetrate the washer!

4. Keep your seat tracks lubed with anything - lubriplate, vaseline etc - remember here: Alum rubbing Alum will gall up, bad day .

5, Seats on an "18" are easilly pulled, lube your tracks, replace your compression washers,
and enjoy!

Best regards, and hope this helps
Randy

boatnut
04-01-2003, 07:25 PM
I've had similar problems with my '69 18 (which by the way came from the factory with seats that rotated and adjusted fore and aft). The solution was to tighted the screws that held the aluminum channels to the seat base --- they would vibrate loose over time and allow the channels to flex enough to prevent effective the clamping action needed to hold the seat from slipping back as I exceeded 70 mph (opps I think it was 50).

tailwind
04-01-2003, 07:35 PM
First, check and make sure your seat tracks are indeed secure, base (hull) and lower seat fasteners. If this is OK then:

Are the seat tracks, rails sliding foward and aft easilly? If not remove, and lube the tracks.

Look closely at your adjustment shaft where you screw the white handle. You will see that the interference washers have been penetrated by the spline! Lube and replace the washers.

This may be only a temporary fix. I only have to give a 1/4 turn to lock the F/R setting.

Maybe I should offer a replacement washer to fix this!

Ranman
04-01-2003, 07:57 PM
On late model 18's you DO NOT have to cut an access hole (god forbid). At the front of the cooler you should have an access cover (round) for servicing the tank sender etc. I was able to gain access to all 8 seat frame holes. I could get to 6 pretty easily and had to have a smaller arm (Jenn) reach the last two that were the farthest away. No hole cutting required.

Rich Maas
04-02-2003, 07:58 PM
Many thanks guys. I'll try a couple of those options before I launch in a few weeks. I did a quick search for Springfield. Can't find their site, do they have one?

Ranman
04-02-2003, 09:32 PM
Here are some helpfuul links regarding the seat frames. This will be more information than you could ever possibly want regarding these things.

http://www.springfieldgrp.com/

http://www.donzi.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=003354#000001

http://www.donzi.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=003384#000003

http://www.donzi.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=004562#000001

http://www.donzi.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=004586#000007