PDA

View Full Version : Lobster boat racing

olredalert
03-02-2002, 11:50 AM
Did anyone see the lobster boats race on A&E about 20 minutes ago?Just goes to show us that human beings are eternally competitive.They had those things flying,with several different classes(diesel,gas,etc.),and grand finally where everyone seemed to just give-er-hell.Annual winner for the last umpteen years broke,so a new world champion lobster boat was crowned!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!ol red!

Sam
03-02-2002, 12:47 PM
I want one ! can't you just see me speeding down the north channel or pulling into Metro park, the chicks would go wild. Well maybe one or two.

Sam

FASTEDDIE
03-02-2002, 02:37 PM
Yes I saw it. Travels with Harry Smith. The engine on that Champions boat had a wonderful throb. And you talk about men competing with speed. If it goes foward,men will race it.Years ago my buddy told me that every summer all his neighbors blocked off his street and stopped traffic for the day and all the people on the street never complained because they were all invited to the party.Kegs of beer,cheeseburgers,hot dogs and horseshoes were the rule of the day until 3 Pm when the big race started. Everyone lined the lawns at the edge of the street and then all the men after weeks of super tuning and testing placed turn around barrels at each end of the street and a table was placed in the middle of the block with the trophies. Wives, daughters and sons cheered and the races began. Classes where formed based on horse power and It was a wild time.Governors were removed and hold on to your hat.
Oh yeah, they were racing their ride on mowers.

oldLenny
03-02-2002, 08:12 PM
I recently read about them in a "Professional Boatbuilder Magazine". The one I read about was describing strakes and lines and advantages and disadvantages for work use in the Maine area. They mentioned the "speed boat race thing" and the one tested had a "Grimes" small block and took the 27' boat to 57MPH!!!

WILD!!!

BigGrizzly
03-03-2002, 07:10 AM
Lenny come to Cumberland and I'll give you more info on Grimes and tell you a cute story on why he doesn't race for GM any more. BTW Garry's own 24 foot small block deep V hull has been radared at 127+ mph. He did it once and said not anymore, "the boat is too small in that configuration.

Randy

EricG
03-04-2002, 10:59 AM
I can't say I've ever seen Lobster boat racing...but up here during the Seattle Maritime Festival we do have the Worlds Largest Tug Boat races....
http://www.donzi.net/photos/egudgel11.jpg

3 Classes - with the Unlimiteds definitely being the class to watch. The Crowley boats "HUNTER" and "RANGER" have won something like 8 out of the last 9 years...

After the races, a lot of the boats pull into the bell harbour marina so you can tour them, we ran into a guy in a little 30' tug who was going to file a protest, because another tug jumped the gun. He said he had him beat at 7.4 knots....I wonder if that was on the GPS? wink

EG