PDA

View Full Version : 22 in Primer

CDMA
03-02-2002, 10:02 AM
22 enroute to Scotts. Final prep for paint done. Trailer on last journey.

Pics of finished product soon.

http://www.donzi.net/photos/callard62.jpg

http://www.donzi.net/photos/callard63.jpg

http://www.donzi.net/photos/callard64.jpg

http://www.donzi.net/photos/callard65.jpg

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
03-02-2002, 10:19 AM
CDMA, you know I have been following your project.

When will she be shot?
Last Journey? Did you get a new trailer? I must have missed that post.

We await those pictures! Good luck.
Bryan

CDMA
03-02-2002, 10:53 AM
She is done. Scott Pearson did the paint work. IT really looks amazing. I have a new Rolls for the boat as the trailer seen is past its last legs. The only problem is that the Rolls delivered is the wrong one. So the boat has to stay at Scotts till the new trailer is recieved.

Chris

RH
03-02-2002, 10:55 AM
CDMA can you let us in on your color choice, or do we have to wait? I'm sure that you can't wait to get that bad boy shot and start rigging! Good luck and enjoy, Can't wait to see more pics as it comes along.
RH

RickR
03-04-2002, 08:09 AM
She looks good!
Did you get the trailer worked out with Dan?
Have you found a windshield?
Can't wait for the new paint pics. Especially the Donzi logo! wink

CDMA
03-04-2002, 08:54 AM
RH,

The boat is :
White bottom
Red sides
White Boot stripe
White deck
Red deck stripe

With RED pearl over the entire thing. The red pearl sort of gives it a.... I have no idea how to describe it...Scott how would you describe it?

Rick,

Yes a 2660 is in NC I just have to go get it :( Dan Will take the trailer back but he said I could sell it myself if someone wanted it. I paid like dealer wholesale and last years prices so it is about $600 cheaper then buying it new now. So anyone who has a minx or a 22 I could have a really good Rolls trailer for you.

Chris

CDMA
03-04-2002, 08:55 AM
Oh no windshield yet....

MAXCAT
03-04-2002, 09:54 AM
The boat looks good. Do you want to part with the old eagle trailer?

CDMA
03-04-2002, 09:58 AM
I have a new trailer for the boat so if you want the Eagle it is yours. I may want the wheels but probably not. IT really is sooo far gone though. Rusted right through.

Chris

MAXCAT
03-04-2002, 06:28 PM
Hey CDMA. I might be interested in a drive to NY for the trailer. Please email me at fatboy@voyager.net and we can talk offline. Thanks,
Ravi

Scott Pearson
03-05-2002, 06:30 AM
Ahhh..the red pearl....lets see....It just has to be seen in person. Pearl really wont show up in pictures...its pretty rare. The new Donzi Brocure (sp) has my 18 in the back and you can see the orange pearl in the deck. Thats the only photo that has the pearl in it.

Maxcat....what are you going to use the trailer for... Mulch in your garden?....thats how bad it is roted. But if you want to take the trip...ok

(NJ)Scott

Formula Jr
03-06-2002, 09:37 AM
Man that 22 looks beautiful. Chris you really are a master at glass and faring.

Hotspare
03-06-2002, 05:28 PM
I've never seen a 22cl stripped and primed like that,,, you really get to see it's true lines,, and they are awesome.... Man,,,, I don't know if I'd put a windshield back on it..... I've seen one without, and it looked hard core dude !!!! Looking fwd to more pic,s..... Later..........

CDMA
03-06-2002, 09:44 PM
Thanks for the compliment Owen. I really enjoy the glass and paint work. I like the whole building process but to me that work is the best. After a long hard day I can go out to the shed, turn on the radio and just mindlessly work. Really relaxing.

I have to say that while it looks ok in the pics w/o the windshield in real life I personally think it looks a little silly. I think it is that the freeboard is higher then the 18 and it looks a little slab sided. Also unlike the smaller boats the 22 has a molded in raised part that sort of looks like it is missing something w/o the windshield. But that is just my warped view...

Chris

MR MAGOO
03-07-2002, 05:50 AM
Nice project! I had a 22 2+3 new in 1987 that had a 300 Tempest. I came from the factory with no windshield and I thought it looked great. I sold it to a guy from Mass. who sold it to someone from southern NH,My boat was the same colors as yours and it had an Eagle trailer also. The last I heard about it was it was sold without a motor and the stringers needed to be replaced. I was wondering by chance it this my old boat?
Good luck, I`m sure it will look outstanding with Scotts paintwork.
Kurt.
PS,Scott, are you and Dick going to be up my way this summer?

CDMA
03-07-2002, 07:38 AM
I bought it in NH. It originally was a 300 tempest ALpha one. I bought it without an engine and had to replace the floor and the stringers. However to me the windshield on it looks like a correct piece. If someone added it they must have got the right one. Probably was yours. I will look on the title this weekend.

Chris

CDMA
03-07-2002, 07:46 AM
P.S the guy that bought your boat is my best friend.

Looped
03-07-2002, 08:07 AM
Don't forget who found the ad for your 22' :D

CDMA
03-07-2002, 09:55 AM
Praise goes to you for sure. And My dad for going up there and busting the guys chops to the tune of 60% of the asking price. I thought the guy was going to cry.

Wow that would be really cool if this was Mr Magoo's old boat.

Chris

Hmmmm that professor just started cursing in German....hmmmmmmm....ok back to class

Looped
03-07-2002, 10:01 AM
He sure was an odd egg :rolleyes: I wonder if he got that barn conversion thing done yet?

CDMA
03-07-2002, 11:23 AM
That was sureal. You pull up to this warehouse and knock on the door. But before you can get to the door you have to make your way through so much stuff. Meat packers, go carts, boats, cars EVERYTHING. So this long haired guy comes out and is pleasant but definitly odd. So we go look at the boat and he says come into my office. Dad looks at me a little skeptically but oh well. So we walk in the back door of this wharehouse into this "office". Now the wharehouse is pretty big and as you walk in it is really dark. And it is filled with stuff. More stuff then I have ever seen. To your right there is a wall but not a real one. Made of shrinkwrapped plastic. You go through like a little door thing and it takes you from the wharehouse part to his office. Now the office has, think white carpet, leather couches, fancy funiture but odd decorative skills. A picture of Thomas Jefferson that is surrounded in like holley leaves over a fake mantle. Now there is no heat but there is a spaceheater. So keep in mind all the walls are sort of seathru and you quickly realize that about 1/2 of the wharehouse is a shrikwrap house. Him and his family live there in NH, without anything but kerosene space heaters. He offers lunch and we accept. His wife comes in, very sweet lady, and very well kept. Classy and well put together. Not the type of person you would expect to see. Type of person you would take to a formal dinner. We exchange pleasantries and she goes off to make lunch. A few minutes later 2 girls about my age, his daughters, bring lunch in and let me tell you I almost fell over. Two of the prettiest, classiest young girls I have ever seen. And they have lived in this wharehouse thing for the last 7 years with all home schooling. So we do some negotiation and meet more of the family. Two other kids, and a dog. The rest of the "house " is as oddly but nicely decorated as the office. Sort of a cross between modern, 80's and colonial. So back to the yard where we show him how my foot goes through the floor and I start to look around. There is EVERYTHING there. Firetrucks, cars, trailers, the guy has his hands in EVERYTHING. And was quite the hustler. Made money by buying and selling things. Bought the steps from some boston building and sold them on E bay. Exactly the type of guy you don't want to buy a boat from. The guy that painted the rusted to pieces trailer that day to make it look nice, that adds deep carpet to cover cracks in the floor. He was obviosly looking to pull a fast one. However luckily I felt that having restored one I could look past all that and see what it really was. After he realized that my dad and I knew more about the boat then he did he sort of gave up. I would have felt bad for the person knowing just the basics going to see that boat cause it looked great. You had to really get down and in it to see the flaws all hidden in some way or another.

So weird....yes
but overall nice, albiet interesting, people

Chris

MR MAGOO
03-07-2002, 03:51 PM
Wow, this is interesting. I think you have my old boat! If the boat was bought from a guy on the Mass/NH border on rt 1 that IS my old boat.The character that you mention with all the junk was quite the LOW LIFE indeed! He was molesting his children for years and is now in jail for a VERY long time.It was big news here and was on the TV, radio and in the papers for weeks. YOU NEVER KNOW ABOUT SOME PEOPLE!....this guy was a freak.

As for the windshield it was a factory windshield that was installed by the man I sold the boat to, he didn`t have it long, maybe a year and sold it to the guy in NH who had it since 1993 or so.

If you are ever up in Maine with the Donzi crew look me up, Richard Weaver ans Scott P know where I live.

Good luck , Kurt

I have some photos of that boat when It was new, I`ll dig 'em up

Scott Pearson
03-07-2002, 05:42 PM
Kurt,
I'm sure Richard and I will find our way up there sometime this summer. I will let you know.

(NJ)Scott

CDMA
03-07-2002, 06:30 PM
Wow Mr. Magoo that is wild. I would love to see the old/new pictures.

Chris

CDMA
03-07-2002, 07:23 PM
Kurt your name is the first on the title. It is your old boat!!!!

Chris

MR MAGOO
03-07-2002, 08:25 PM
Like I said, what a small world. How is Willie doing with the V drive? Tell him that the 427 Sideoiler is still available for it.

Kurt.

ToonaFish
03-07-2002, 08:56 PM
This is sooo neat!

What model Donzi are you planning to buy this year? It'd be nice for Chris to know what his project boat will be in 2017!

Bunches,

Celene

CDMA
03-07-2002, 09:43 PM
Kurt,

You have to find those old pictures. I really would like to see them.

Willie is good. I am trying my hardest to get him to stay ford let alone the original engine. There actually is a possibility that I will be restoring that boat.

Chris

bverd
03-07-2002, 09:57 PM
I hear... Roadtrip to Maine.