PDA

View Full Version : arneson drives on e bay check out

Ralph Savarese
03-30-2003, 02:43 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2409196562&category=26456

Wildfire
03-31-2003, 10:09 PM
If the seller won't help arrange shipping, is there anyone in the Philly area that could help out?

Also, if anyone else is interested in just one drive, maybe we could work a deal where we split them up after the end of the auction. Might save a few bucks in the long run.

Greg Maier
04-01-2003, 05:43 AM
I live near Philly. If you win them, I can help you out with shipping. Also, I would be willing to split them with you. The only issue is that one is direct drive (prop rotates same as input shaft) and the other one counter rotates (prop spins opposite of input). I would only be interested in the counter rotating drive. Let me know.

Wildfire
04-01-2003, 06:18 AM
Greg, thanks for jumping in on this. I'll check with Rik out at Arneson to see if the it matters which way the drive is designed to rotate. For some reason, there is this little voice saying "Run the tranny in reverse to go forward."

One unit may be chain and the other gear driven. I'll check on that too.

Wildfire
04-01-2003, 06:45 AM
Greg, I just checked the casting numbers on the parts drive I have and they match. It is reasonable to assume that these are both gear drive units and therefore both turn opposite the engine revolution. I think that all it means is that one tranny is put in "reverse" and the other is put in "forward" to counter rotate with respect to each other. Of course, I could be wrong. I sent Rik (the all knowing one) an email with some questions and he will probably get back today.

Greg Maier
04-01-2003, 12:12 PM
I got an email from the seller and he says that one is direct drive and one is opposite drive. He might be wrong since he is not that familiar with the drives, but I did specifically asked him if you turn the input shaft in one direction, which direction does the out put shaft turn? He told me that one drive turns the same way and the other one turns opposite. This makes sense if it both drives were from the same boat.

Wildfire
04-01-2003, 06:21 PM
Greg, good to hear that he is communicating and that the drives actually turn. Rik says we can't run a tranny in reverse to go forward, but I don't really care which way the drive turns. It just limits the prop selection, so no big deal as far as I can see. I plan to actively pursue these, so we'll see how the next few days go.

Jamesbon
04-01-2003, 08:35 PM
One drive is a chain drive model, the other is gear driven. Hence the opposite rotation of the output shaft when both inputs are turn the same direction.

In other words, the chain drive unit's input and output shafts will rotate in the same direction. The gear driven model's input and output shafts will rotate in opposing directions.

That is a hot deal, good luck fellas!

clayman
04-02-2003, 10:29 AM
I am also interested in these, so I put a bid in. But, lets not drive up the bidding price, so won't bid against you guys. As long as someone here gets them.
James

CDMA
04-02-2003, 01:48 PM
Hate to say it...I am thinking too.... :confused: :confused: :confused: Not looking to jump ahead of others but...

Chris

pmreed
04-02-2003, 02:53 PM
Man, I can't wait to see how this plays out :p . Chris, of course, needs two or three more of these. Be nice guys.

Phil

Forrest
04-02-2003, 03:12 PM
They look a little rough from the photos, but none the less, I could use that pair on my Magnum! I'm jut not in the position to go pick them up in PA so have at it.

FlatRacer, aka BarrelBack
04-02-2003, 10:02 PM
"Auction ended early because item is no longer available for sale". Bullsh*t. WTF is up with eBay lately?
That '84 18' Classic did the same thing. These pr*cks put these things on there with come-ons like "No Reserve", and "steal it for the opening bid", and then when things don't go as well as they'd hoped, they pull the auction.
If ya wanna get a certain price for the thing, be a man, put a real reserve on it and stick to it. Jeez, that weasel behavior just burns me.

FR :mad:

Jamesbon
04-02-2003, 10:21 PM
Flatracer,
I have a feeling someone made the seller an offer he couldn't refuse.

...this is gonna get interesting!

Glad I already have mine :D

HP 600SC
04-02-2003, 10:42 PM
Who ever gets them.....we are an Arneson dealer if you need any parts......
Peace..... :)
Ted M.

clayman
04-03-2003, 06:32 AM
I belive I was the high bidder at the time, and I was rather disappointed this morning to see that he ended it early. I emailed him, but haven't heard back.
Jim

Wildfire
04-03-2003, 07:09 AM
Well crap, I emailed as well. Doubt I'll hear anything either. If anyone comes across one, let me know.

HP 600SC
04-03-2003, 08:36 AM
Does not seem morally correct or very ethical to do a "back door deal" with someone once the reserve price has been met. According to E-bay policy The buyer and the seller enter in to a "Legally Binding Contract" once the reserve has been met.

BUIZILLA
04-03-2003, 08:49 AM
Ted, is correct..

Once a BUY IT NOW or RESERVE price has been met, it becomes a legal and binding deal, to whomever the HIGH bidder is at that time, and also until the auction ends.

IF the seller wishes to end it early, AT THAT TIME THE RESERVE IS MET, they are entitles to do so.... Most sellers will run the course till the end, some end it as soon as reserve is met...

If reserve is met with bidder *A* on the website, and the seller sells to bidder *B* undercover, then closes the process, then it becomes legally enforcable by *A* to close the deal, and the seller must do it, regardless of *B's* undercover position. Problem is, is it worth the hassles to enforce the seller...I guess it depends on the item..

Ted is correct, it is morally, ethically and LEGALLY wrong.

J

<small>[ April 03, 2003, 08:52 AM: Message edited by: BUIZILLA ]</small>

HP 600SC
04-03-2003, 09:12 AM
Quote " Was going to not say anything about this as I was not involved in the bidding. As an outsider looking at the picture, I can see both parties views.

For example: If you have an item you feel is worth a certain amount and someone offers you 3 times what you thought it was worth, wouldn't you take the deal and get out while the gittin is good?

On the other hand, I also see the people who were bidding on the items point. If something is placed up for auction, the only rights the seller should have is to see the auction thru to the end. Put a million dollar reserve on the item if you want the option to say no at the end.

Consider the source where the drives were offered. E-Bay - Free, no cost to the seller to advertise them, no hassle with placing in the newspaper, no phones to answer. How-ever, he does have e-mail to deal with unless it's a secondary address that he gets rid of after the auction which may be why you have not heard back from him.

While I hope someone will be putting one or both of these on a Donzi, I have to agree with the unethical comment, but we've all been there at some point in life. The person who made the auction ending offer feels they have made the buy of their life, maybe once UPS or who ever makes the delivery, they find out differently.

One last thought. Maybe someone went directly to the buyer's location and bought the drives. You can't auction what you don't have and now no need to deal with the e-mail questions. If I remember right, these things had been sitting there for 10 to 15 years? If someone walked up and said here is the cash I'll take them with me, I'd end the auction pronto. " End Quote

--------------------
Scott Boldt
Midwest Donzi Club
www.mwdonziclub.com (http://www.mwdonziclub.com)
Scott, you are incorrect.
E-bay is not free, There is a listing fee to place an ad on E-bay. Even if the item sell's or not.........even if the reserve is not met.

<small>[ April 03, 2003, 09:19 AM: Message edited by: HP600 SC ]</small>

Steve Sinclair
04-03-2003, 09:30 AM
Seems to me that all a man really has in life are his word and reputation.....everything else is material and can be lost in the blink of an eye.
Shame on the Seller and the "back door buyer" for screwing the High bidder!

Forrest
04-03-2003, 09:40 AM
All the seller has to do is cancel all the bids and then end the auction with just a click of the mouse. It happens all the time on eBay. Nothing is binding until the auction is over, and the auction must end with a bid that meets the reserve if there is a reserve. Once all the bids are canceled by the seller, there are no bidders. Like Nate said, most likely someone offered him a deal he couldn't refuse to end the auction early, but on the other hand, he may re-list the drives at a higher starting price or with a reserve. BTW, as much as I would like to have a pair for the Magnum, I didn't buy them.

Ranman
04-03-2003, 10:16 AM
You guys really need to stop whining. A seller can end an auction at any time for pretty much any reason. That's the breaks. It happens all the time. I was high bidder on one of those Valley Dart Machines and was about to steal it with less than an hour to go. The seller ended the auction and claimed that is was "broken or damaged". Upon emailing the seller, he "claimed" the unit turned out to be broken and so he ended the auction since the description misrepresented the item. Chances are he sold the item elsewhere to someone who was willing to pay more money. Life isn't always fair, it's not the end of the world. Live and learn. Whatever.

My only issue is that in this case the seller claime he sold the items locally. If they weren't really sold locally he should not have done this. If the buyer came from Ebay, the seller should have had the buyer place a high bid. Then the seller should end the auction early making that high bidder the winner. In this case, the Ebay charges would apply and feedback would be possible for both buyer and seller. Regardless, the outcome is the same for everyone else so there's no real point in complaining.

<small>[ April 03, 2003, 10:29 AM: Message edited by: Ranman ]</small>

HP 600SC
04-03-2003, 10:39 AM
Dang, this is getting good! Think
I'll make some pop-corn and turn off the TV :D
Ted M.

Rootsy
04-03-2003, 10:47 AM
Colonel Mustard,
with the candle stick,
in the bathroom... :D :D

ToonaFish
04-03-2003, 10:47 AM
Maybe now we know what Scot did with his birthday money... eek!

abelchinewalker
04-03-2003, 11:26 AM
I'm going to Ted's house for popcorn.

HP 600SC
04-03-2003, 11:34 AM
Donnie, please bring extra butter and a Big Gulp!! :D

<small>[ April 03, 2003, 11:34 AM: Message edited by: HP600 SC ]</small>

CDMA
04-03-2003, 11:53 AM
Did a little snooping:

Ending Your Listing Early

Sometimes something goes wrong and you can't complete your listing as planned. If needed, you can choose to end your listing before the scheduled date. If there are bids on your item, you can cancel them.

Reasons for ending listings early include:

The item is no longer available for sale.
There was an error in the starting price or reserve amount.
There was an error in the listing.
The item was lost or broken.

To end your listing early, follow these steps:
Type your item number into the Ending Your Listing Early form. (You can get this number on your listing, on your confirmation email, or on your My eBay page.)
If there are bids on your item, choose between:
Cancel bids and end listing early
or
Sell item to high bidder(s) and end listing early
If your item has no bids, you'll skip this step.
Choose the reason you're ending your listing early.
Now your listing will end and will no longer be displayed on eBay. If there were bidders, they will be emailed that their bid was canceled and the listing ended early.
NOTE: Sellers are not permitted to cancel bids and end listings early in order to avoid selling an item that did not meet the desired sale price. This is considered to be reserve fee circumvention. Although there are legitimate reasons for ending a listing early, abuse of this option will be investigated.

End

It seems to be pretty clear. More or less if someone wants to kill the auction because they don't want to sell the item anymore or it sold locally that would qualify as " item no longer forsale". Pretty vague to me. Seems a contact is only formed when the auction ends.

Oh well...we know for next time...

Chris

Last day drinking illegally :)

<small>[ April 03, 2003, 11:58 AM: Message edited by: CDMA ]</small>

mattyboy
04-03-2003, 12:00 PM
can someone under 21 even use ebay legally??? wink :D
the bars on the island will never be the same :D

Matt

<small>[ April 03, 2003, 12:01 PM: Message edited by: mattyboy ]</small>

boldts
04-03-2003, 12:43 PM
Sorry Ted. I stand corrected. Can you tell how many times I've used E-Bay to sell an item? Zip which is why I deleted the post before you so kindly reposted it! Thank-you :rolleyes:

<small>[ April 03, 2003, 12:44 PM: Message edited by: boldts ]</small>

clayman
04-03-2003, 02:16 PM
Well, I guess we wait until someone shows up one day with it on the back of their boat. Then we will know who the A$$ h :mad: le is.
Jim

<small>[ April 03, 2003, 02:16 PM: Message edited by: clayman ]</small>

clayman
04-03-2003, 03:48 PM
I just received this email back from the guy:

Jim. Well a lot of people are still giving me offers. You might still get in @ $2,000

I guess someone let him in on something?

Scott Pearson
04-03-2003, 06:26 PM
Woodsey.... :D . It wasnt me....I dont like Arneson drives. Even if I did...what the hell would I put it on? My 28? or my 14?...Not going to ruin the V-DRIVE Hornet thats for sure.

So no....It wasnt me! And if I did go around the back door everyone would know about it...I'm not afraid to do something and not fess up to it.

Hummmm....come to think of it...Thats probably why I dont work for PPG anymore.. :p

(NJ)Scott

<small>[ April 03, 2003, 10:00 PM: Message edited by: Harbormaster ]</small>

Jamesbon
04-03-2003, 06:27 PM
Regarding Clayman's last post: Looks like the seller learned how valuable these things are...

Even @ 2K, it's still a good deal, assuming they're "internally functionable."

...I'd be pissed too, but my ASD-6 is sitting pretty in the garage :D (sorry fellas... wink )

Wildfire
04-03-2003, 06:46 PM
Oh well, another day. $2000 sounds high to me for an unknown, uninspected product. At that price, he can keep 'em.

Who has seen the ad in Powerboat for a pair of 525SC with complete bravos for $27,000? Pricey yes, but if you only need one.....

PS: I got "the look" when I mentioned those!

GEOO
04-03-2003, 07:26 PM
:rolleyes:

Ranman
04-03-2003, 07:53 PM
I'm not afraid to do something and not fess up to it. Does anyone else see the irony in this???

HP 600SC
04-03-2003, 08:05 PM
Randy, I was just thinking the same thing :D

Scott Pearson
04-03-2003, 09:20 PM
Let me refraze that...I'm not afraid to do something and then fess up to it......or should it be....I have enuff balls to admit to what I have done and be damn proud of it.....Is that any F**King better?????

If not....let me know....

(NJ)Scott

<small>[ April 03, 2003, 09:21 PM: Message edited by: Scott Pearson ]</small>

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
04-03-2003, 09:40 PM
Damn, I got 3 phone calls today all which mentioned the chat last night and this post!
I chose to bring in my B Day vice the board, and was a bit hung over today!

Sorry I missed the excitement.

Is it summer yet? 84 here today! :)
Bryan

<small>[ April 04, 2003, 04:32 AM: Message edited by: Bryan Tuvell 26ZX ]</small>

harbormaster
04-03-2003, 09:59 PM
Woodsy,
I deleted your post. There is NO good reason to dredge up old trouble like that. You want cite an example? do it without names.

HP 600SC
04-04-2003, 06:23 AM
Hey Scott, got the 55 Gal. drum of orvill Redenbacher, damn its hard to get it in the micro-wave.....Hey I'll be down next weekend....lets go fishing! :D

harbormaster
04-04-2003, 06:29 AM
As for ending EBAY auctions early...

I sell boats on EBAY for a friend of mine. I have ended auctions early more than once because because of all the idiots you have to deal with.
People emailing you offering half the reserve, calling to cut it down, etc..

We sold boats at least 3 times where the buyers were flakes. "Oh I will have the money out to you next week....". When they bale and you give Them negative feedback they usually make up something and slam you back with opposing negative feedback. I have for the pmost part given up on selling boats on EBAY unless I really have to.

FlatRacer, aka BarrelBack
04-04-2003, 02:24 PM
Stir, stir, stir...... :p

How unfortunate it is that what's legal isn't always right, and what's right isn't always legal.

FR :p

mattyboy
04-04-2003, 02:30 PM
Poodle and HP why does it always have to be popcorn when things get going good,you get the kernel thingies stuck in the teeth, then there's the gaggy thing, why can't we just have pretzles. eek! :D

Matt