PDA

View Full Version : Dick Genth - Obituaries

Ranman
05-23-2002, 12:50 PM
Found this obit on the net. Will someone explain? This doesn't seem accurate to me or am I reading it wrong? Read the whole obit HERE (http://tampatrib.com/News/MGAMEG2GNZC.html) . Scroll down to Genth.

"On leaving Chris Craft as president in 1985, he took a few months off, but soon formed an investment group that purchased Donzi Marine. A new vanguard manufacturing facility was built near Sara sota-Bradenton Airport and the small boutique builder of speedboats was launched in the boating world in 1985. He made a tremendous success of the company, which was later sold to Yamaha. He then turned his effort to Century Boat Company in Panama City, Florida where he spent two years."

EricG
05-23-2002, 01:59 PM
It doesn't quite seem accurate to me, based on all of the articles/interviews I've read of his time with Donzi.

He did buy it in 1985 - but instead of "Launching" the small boutique builder, he actually took it from a Small boutique to a Large builder of high quality boats. He launched the Z's, the Regazzas, the Fish Boats, and really started Donzi on the path it's on today.

Plus, wasn't it Century that was later sold to Yamaha?

Anyway, no matter how you slice it, he was a major player in the industry for many, many years...and based on my research, I have nothing but respect for him....RIP.

EG

mattyboy
05-23-2002, 02:06 PM
:( :( :(

RIP

Matt

Ranman
05-23-2002, 02:15 PM
I should point out that I mean no disrespect to Dick, his family or friends in any way. In fact I have a great deal of admiration for all of the folks who have had an influence in this sport whether here or passed.

I know many members here knew Dick Genth personally and were deeply saddened to see him go. My condolences to his friends and family.

I just thought it was interesting reading and hate to be mis-informed. It's just unfortunate that the obituary seems to contain one or more inaccuracies. I guess when you rack up so many great accomplishments through life, it's difficult for others to keep them all straight. Randy

FASTEDDIE
05-23-2002, 05:10 PM
For a more accurate obituary read Powerboat Magazine's article in the back of April or May's issue.

RickR
05-23-2002, 09:42 PM
Dick sold Donzi to OMC in 1989. The Donzi plant is now Wellcraft.
RIP

Donzigo
05-25-2002, 09:00 AM
........my 2 cents.

I have kept all of the old articles where Dick and Jack Staples bought the name and the right to make Donzi's from Thunderbird, (I think), the sale to OMC, (Dick and Jack each got a 65 Donzi as part of the deal, one is still at Maximo Moorings down the street. I ride by it every day), their firing him on his birthday two years later, and such. If it would help, I'll dig them out of the archives and send them to you. I can't rememeber everything myself. In fact, I might have already mis-represented something, but it's close. The Donzi factory they built was so cool. It was dove grey on the outside and had a beautiful foyer with red stair rails with a red Sweet sixteen in the waiting room. Very chic! The signs on the walls of the production area read, "Leave the other guys mistakes at the other place". Later, Chris Craft took it over, Chris Craft moved down the street to a very small facility, then it sat vacant for a while, then recnetly, the new Chris Craft people occupy the space. Wellcraft is about 1 mile down the street, where HP500 works. Then Donzi is down the street from them, on Whitfield Dr. Dick did go to Panama City to do with Century what he did with Donzi, Cris Craft. Wellcraft, etc. and he did turn it around beautifully. The owner sold it to Yamaha, and I'm sure, made a bundle.

I'm sure there are others who will correct my mistakes. You can't get by with any mistakes on this website, for sure. It just takes somebody out there to say something wrong for the buzzards to start circling :-), so my post will bring some new information.

Richard

DaveC
05-25-2002, 09:20 AM
Just came upon this thread, and was saddened to hear of Mr. Genth's death. I would just add that I don't think I could ever forget the ad placed in the boating mags for the new Z boats. Kathy Genth was standing at the bow of a red Z-29 and the caption: "Catch a Dream".