PDA

View Full Version : Crash Box

alljet
03-01-2002, 08:27 AM
Anyone out there with any advice on how best to drive with a crash box (no reverse)? I'll be putting my Vee Drive in for the first time as soon as the ice melts and am a bit apprehensive (especially with regard to docking procedures). Do you just kill the engine and paddle, or "go for it" and then grab for the dock?

GEOO
03-01-2002, 11:18 AM
Alljet,
The best method I found is to turn off the engine 100ft from the dock and coast in. I am able to steer my boat eventhough the power steering is off. If I need to I hit the starter again or just paddle in. Once you do it a few times it's easy. Better going in to slow the too Hot!!! GEOO

mattyboy
03-01-2002, 11:37 AM
alljet you should be able to get close the kill the engine and still have steering with the rudder
then have some strong arms and grab the dock!
any way why do you need to back up you been there already! :p eek! wink
my first boat when i was a kid broke the shift mech. and only had fwd. by the end of the season was a pro, glide to a point the kill the engine
slide into the slip stick my arm out done! and to start i would swing the boat around by hand then start and go. of course this was a 16' starcraft tin can with a 40 hp west bend motor, not a Donzi

Matt

Wintersux 1
03-01-2002, 04:18 PM
I have a Raysoncraft flatty that has a neutral/Forward crusader box. I have a long handled paddle between the seats of the boat. Just slow to idle from a ways out, kill the boat,and then start it again to move in closer if needed. When you get close, get on the nose of the boat, look cool, and take in in with the paddle. On the nose you can steer the boat very well.
Wintersux

FlatRacer, aka BarrelBack
03-01-2002, 07:34 PM
I just use neutral (disengaged) for warming up the engine. Shut it off, engage the in/out box, point the bow toward the middle of the lake, hit the starter and go!
Some boxes have drive dogs that you can supposedly engage (crash) under 1500 RPM, but this seems like unneccessary wear and tear (I never do it).
If anyone asks you why you don't have reverse, just mumble something about it robbing power and give them the Tim Allen grunt!
:) :D :p

alljet
03-02-2002, 01:11 PM
Thanks, guys! I was going to install a velvet drive tranny, but now I'm beginning to think going sans reverse may be way cool. I really like the response about reverse robbing me of more power. Besides, that velvet drive weighs a ton.