PDA

View Full Version : Oil filter orientation?

Sam
03-29-2003, 02:19 PM
I think I know the answer to the following question but I will throw it out anyway. I need to relocate my remote oil filter/bracket. Does it matter which way the filter is orientated. Based on some of the newer marine systems I have seen where the filter is inverted (oil inlet facing down) it does not matter. I know on my vehicle it is almost horizontal. As usual thanks and think spring.

Sam :confused:

<small>[ March 29, 2003, 02:20 PM: Message edited by: Sam ]</small>

Moody Blu'
03-29-2003, 04:33 PM
hmm, well wouldnt the oil drain out of the filter if it were upside down? I mount mine as if it were a cup. I would say it probably would put oil into the motor faster if it were mounted like a cup. It could also help if the motor was sitting for an extended period.

Some of the filters out now like K&n have a stop valve so the oil does'nt drain out.

just speculating

MOP
03-29-2003, 05:34 PM
Up is getting to be the norm on remotes, I think there is a little less mess when its mounted what I call up side down. My reasoning is drain the oil first, then just crack the filter loose enough just to let the air get by the gasket wait a few minutes then remove the empty filter. When it gasket side up you always end up juggling full filter, which I usualy spill and add to the mess.

Tony
03-29-2003, 05:53 PM
Mine is upside down...thanks MOP, for the tip about how to drain it prior to removal!

I read somewhere that putting a magnet on the outside of the filter traps tiny metal shavings that the filter does not screen. Sounded like an urban legend to me...anybody ever hear of it?

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
03-29-2003, 05:53 PM
Ours is upside down, I put a finisihing nail in it, remove nail and let her drain to the pan etc. Reinsert nail, spin off, no mess.
Bryan

Rodger
03-29-2003, 08:40 PM
I prefer to have the filter with the gasket end up. This way you know the filter is full when you start the engine. If it does drain out from being inverted the other way, it then has to refill before the oil will travel through the engine. Also, you should always prefill the filters during the oil change and if the filter is mounted gasket end down, this can't be done.

MOP
03-29-2003, 09:34 PM
One thing I always do is to pull the coil wire and crank till the oil pressure gauge shows some pressure after all oil changes. When I was younger all motors were started with a starter button separate from the key, I kind of wish it was still that way. Most engineers agree that most engine wear is in the first few seconds after start up. I know my engine starts very quickly, I am now thinking of putting a button in the dash so I can get oil pressure before letting the engine start.

<small>[ March 30, 2003, 03:51 PM: Message edited by: M.O.P. ]</small>

RickR
03-30-2003, 01:37 PM
If the filter is upside-down (gasket down) the filtered particles might flow back down into the oil pan when the engine shuts down.

When changing oil I prefill the filter before installation so I don't have a dry start.

Sam
03-30-2003, 02:16 PM
I agree and have had many of the same thoughts you have. I wonder if there is someone out there that can talk about the current Mercs that come with an inverted filter.

Sam

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
03-30-2003, 04:07 PM
Sam, other than how to drain your oil, you have recieved no factual data on "why" they are mounted upside down on newer models in this post...
And loosening the filter with oil in it must cause a mess.

Maybe a call to Merc will get you more definitive answers.
I am curious too.
Best of luck to you, see ya soon...
Bryan

<small>[ March 30, 2003, 04:08 PM: Message edited by: Bryan Tuvell 26ZX ]</small>

MOP
03-30-2003, 06:57 PM
Bryan there is little or no mess by just cracking the filter the oil flows down the hoses, you are just breaking the air lock. Heck you know your nail trick works so does cracking it.

Ed Donnelly
03-30-2003, 08:39 PM
A couple of years ago, there was a company promoting a magnetic blanket, that wrapped around the oil filter. They stated that metal particles could cut throgh the filter media and go back into the engine. The magnetic blanket held the particles.The same thing could be done by using the round magnets, about the size of a quarter, that can be purchased at Lee Valley...Ed

BillG
03-31-2003, 08:01 AM
Don't worry about oil drainback. If you use a good filter it has an anti-drainback valve in it. The orientation is your preference.

Bill G

MOP
03-31-2003, 05:24 PM
The magnet does attract the particles to where ever you stick, I cut a filter open awhile back there was some black mud stuck right where the magnet was. Wether or not what could get through would do anything I am not sure. Next time you pull a pan take a magnet to the residue in the bottom you will pickup some iron there to. My feeling if it is that small it may not do anything, if you have decent pressure the parts don't touch the float on the oil. I taken apart real high hour engines with lots of guck in them and found the bearing surfaces looking pretty good. Back mid 80's Chrysler had a real bad problem with the 4 cylinder cams self destructing, my wagon had the problem, the dealer replaced the cam and what ever but did not even check the bottom end. I pissed and moaned to him but he said no problem. Well I am a hard head, I with a bunch of work got the pan down and pulled the caps, to my amazement he was right the bearings were indeed fine. I did go back and tell him he gave my an I TOLD YOU SO, by the way I was his boat Mech so I did feel stupid. The question of damage needs to be addressed by an oil pro. My be Griz and some of the real motor techs will chime in!

<small>[ March 31, 2003, 05:26 PM: Message edited by: M.O.P. ]</small>

Sam
03-31-2003, 09:57 PM
Well I went to a local metal supplier today and bought a piece of 5"x5"x3/8 aluminum angle. I'm going to move a couple of things on the transom and then fasten the angle. From there I'll hang the filter bracket from the angle with the open end up. Thanks for all your feedback.

Sam

BigGrizzly
04-01-2003, 12:25 AM
Actually the filter should be gasket up topurge air faster It will purg upside down but it takes longer. I fill my filter before installing. The less time filling the filter the better. Whwn Merc did that upside down trick most of the Hi-po guys I know though it was dumb. Just for perspective how many autos are gasket down? Due to the flappers in the filter the meatal particles don't5 fall back into the engine, so the oil mess is just filtered oil. Oil is filtered from the outside into the center.