PDA

View Full Version : Are these parts necessary?

tmdog
03-29-2003, 09:36 AM
Doing some mods on sbc350. Replacing cam and heads.Max. lift on cam is 490 and swapping over to the vortec heads with stronger valve springs to accommodate the cam lift.
1.Should I install pushrod guides?
2.Reg. lifters or roller lifters?
3.Edel. performer intake or performer rpm intake?
Hoping to get 375hp + when finished. I'd be thankful for any help. Jim

Zinger
03-29-2003, 06:24 PM
You going to need to change more that the heads to make another 100hp. and as far as the cam , an auto cam is different than a marine cam so be careful in your cam selection its always nice to see water in your cylinders , block the choke crossover in the intake . As far has the intake if your going to be in salt water stay with cast iron.Jeff

fasttrucker
03-29-2003, 07:43 PM
Call az-speed marine.or call teaque marine ask the pros.

BigGrizzly
03-30-2003, 03:45 AM
I would put more faith in this bord than the two that Fasttrucker used. I have delt with both and they act like they want to help but they don't understand your application just big block and off the shelf stuff. If you need a cam go to Crane some here like Comp cams (I don't). I personally don't buy off the shelf cams because I have more resourses than most people. As for roller or not there is a thread not more than a month ago make your own choice, for me too much work. Funny your here on Lake Lanier. We have some of the best around to do what you want, Warren Jhonson, Garry Grimes and Barry Grant and others

tmdog
03-30-2003, 08:21 AM
Thanks for the comeback and advise.But the 3 questions still remains unanswered. I have an idea what to use but was hoping I would get some expert advise from members to justify my ideas in what to use. The 350 motor i am tearing done is rated at 330hp. That 330hp is useless because it has an automotive cam in it. Power is attained at a very high rpm that I can only dream that a alpha can spin. I went w/ a comp cam ext. energy 274. The graph shows good torque and hp. for my application, especially w/ vortec heads.My son and I have been rebuilding small blocks since the 70's. I can't speak for my son but I am nowherre being an expert in application. New technology has me baffled, needless to say.Grizz, as for local knowledge, I called Grimes and left message. He never called me back. Grizz, I e-mailed you w/ my phone no. and you failed to call.That has been 1 or 2 mos. ago.Any help now would be appreciated. Jim

tmdog
03-30-2003, 12:09 PM
Made a mistake when I posted questions. No. 2 should read: Reg.rockers or roller rockers? After a rebuild, it always surprises me when the engine starts. Jim

KMLFAMILY
03-30-2003, 12:51 PM
Ques. #1- Comp Cams recommends http://www.compcams.com/catalog/294.html

Ques. # 2-Comp cam #XE274-10 is listed as a non-roller.Here is there sample dyno sheet.
http://www.compcams.com/information/Products/Camshafts/DynoSheets/XE274H-10_001.asp
Maybe this info can help others sort out your combination.

Then there are more options also.
http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/techarticles/95258/

<small>[ March 30, 2003, 01:00 PM: Message edited by: KMLFAMILY ]</small>

BigGrizzly
03-30-2003, 11:10 PM
Sorry Tmdog I changed my E-mail adress to rccarabelli@charter.net. I check the old one once in awhile. If it was there I either printed it out and desposed of it during hous cleaning which was done last week of Feb., I asure I would have called a local in responce. Again my appolgy. Back to the Roller Rocker question. the answer is YES. The biggest real advantage is the reduce valve guide wear. Even thoe the adds say more accurate valve timing and increase horse power due to lack of friction. This is insiginificant in your application. What it will really will do is take stress off the tip of the valve which actually gets pushed sideways during valve opening and adding to valve guide wear. The roller rockers have proves a good add on in all my engines regaedless of application. Surprised you didn't get a responce from Grimes, I know he has been very busy but that is no excuse.