PDA

View Full Version : for the blackhawk guys

waleyetwo
02-28-2002, 07:39 AM
I want to know if any of you blackhawk guys have tried timing your props different from the book.if so what happened? more speed better handling or anything else. i talked to a guy from merc and and he has a blackhawk and he told me to time them different from what i have out of the manual.just thought i would ask or maybe you have tried it.its winter here so i cant let me know thanks.

boldts
02-28-2002, 04:19 PM
OK, I'll be the first uneducated person to ask. How to you different time two props being turned by gears. Are you talking about where one blade is in relation to the other prop blade? Interesting and intriguing subject. Just like Drag Racers, always looking for that little piece for more speed and less elasped time. :confused:

Looped
02-28-2002, 08:33 PM
Scott,

What waleyetwo means is how do others lineup there second outside prop in relation to the first inside prop (how many keys do they count over from being aligned with the first prop). Steve is in good relations with the guy that designed this baby (the blackhawk) and he told him how to modify his hull too to make it run correctly with his X-18 that differs from the standard Blackhawk manual.

Craig

boldts
02-28-2002, 10:42 PM
Craig,
Thanks for the explanation. I had the right idea, I just didn't know there were teeth that changed the position of the outside prop. I figured both props were set in a solid position. Can't wait to see my first BlackHawk Donzis at KY this year. I've only seen pictures.

waleyetwo
03-01-2002, 07:03 AM
thanks looped i was wondering if anybody has tried playing with the props i'm up here were the ice is and i'm going to try it out as soon as i can but if there were some blackhawk guys will to try i would send them what i have learned.

Looped
03-01-2002, 07:46 AM
Gotta love them Blackhawks. Teeth, that's what I meant. Them frosties I had last night sure make you forget the names of things and are very dangurous late night when your on Ebay and you wakeup the next morning wondering what you bought???. :rolleyes:

Craig

PaulO
03-01-2002, 03:07 PM
Okay, berate me if I am having a brain cramp here but, other than the remote possibility that the props are in some sort of balance with the shafts, what effect could you get by moving how the props are indexed on the shafts? They rotate in opposite directions! They are constantly changing in relation to each other rotationally.
PaulO

TD
03-02-2002, 08:14 AM
You all are thinking to hard about this. Each prop turns 1 revolution the same as the other, just in opposite directions. It makes no differnce where they cross paths because it will happen anywhere with each one on the revolution. Think about it. BTW I had a Volvoduoprop and there was no special alignment instructions, just 2 different sized hubs.
Just my 2 cents
Terrell

waleyetwo
03-02-2002, 09:20 AM
ok thats what i thoughtjust put them on and go then i talk to this guy from wisconsin at merc marine he was one of the guys who designed the blackhawk and was also the guy who helped me with mine.and he tells me did you time the props? and i'm like what do you mean? and he told me that they have to be timed.so thats why i put it on the site so we could kick it around some.and was hoping somebody has tried it out.the book does say to time them but different from the the way meisenburg told me to time mine.

BigGrizzly
03-03-2002, 07:28 AM
I'm not positive but I do remember kicking this around with an EX-racer and he said that one prop is smaller and turns at a different rate. If this were true than timing would be an issue. At every revolution the blades would be at a different reference point to each other and would have a specific power pulse.

Randy

HP 600SC
03-03-2002, 08:48 AM
Yes it does make a differance, I have tried it
on Blackhawk's and Bravo 3's. The differance is
where the blades line up in relation to the cavation plate on each revoloution, because it is a surface drive. It is explained in the directions for the bravo 3 drive.

Formula Jr
03-04-2002, 04:40 AM
HP got there before me. But, Yes. The two blades will cross eachother in the same place in relation to the lower unit and ventilation plate. What you want to time is a specific place, in relation to the drive, where the blades will cross. That, will not change, and the blades will from then on always cross eachother in the places you have TIMED them to cross. I would imagine that one place you would want them to cross is when a blade of each prop are both inline with the case of the lower unit. This would also mean that the blades would never cross eachother at the skeg. I'm probably wrong about the prefered placement of where they cross, but you can now see that there is an aspect of timing involved.

waleyetwo
03-04-2002, 08:05 AM
well this is what merc told me and this is not what the book says.to time the props:the front blade should be at the bottom and the rear prop should go counterclockwise two splines.