PDA

View Full Version : Engine Mounts Sweet 16, 1968

Robert Tate
05-21-2002, 09:27 PM
Engine rubber mounts needed for holman/moody 351. If no engine mounts are available, can I convert to new/different engine mounts? Thank you in advance for your reply. Robert

David Ochs
05-22-2002, 12:06 AM
Robert, I just took the engine out of my '69 sixteen. It's all Holman-Moody also. Can you e-mail me a picture, or I can send you one of mine whatever you prefer. I'd be interested to "see" what it is you're speaking of. Perhaps I can helop you come up woth something.

mattyboy
05-22-2002, 07:29 AM
Robert,
I have the same setup, I will check tonite for you, and let you know. have never really looked at the mounts,I know for sure that the stringers are not notched.

Matt

turbo2256
05-22-2002, 09:25 AM
I have seen several set ups in the 16 were the stringers were notched

Forrest
05-22-2002, 11:26 AM
I would avoid rubber engine mounts if you can. Rubber mounts tend to put a lot of stress on the stringers. You may try getting a pair of mounts from an old Mercrusier "888" sterndrive (302 Ford) minus the rubber. Put a 5/8" stainless bolt through the mounts and through the angle brackets that are mounted to the stringers. You will probably have to attach your angle brackets higher on the stringers to compensate for the lack of the rubber mounts. Don't worry, mounting your engine without the rubber mounts won't shake you or Donzi up. In fact, you probably won't be able to tell the difference between solid and rubber mounts when under way.

mattyboy
05-23-2002, 07:38 AM
Robert sorry,
got home from work late last nite it was too dark
I'll check tonite for ya

Matt

HOTFOOT
05-25-2002, 04:13 PM
I would really appreciate it if someone could post some pictures of 16 engine mount installation. I am restoring a '67 which I got with no engine and no mounts. I am installing a 302 with Volvo 270 outdrive and need to get some idea of what the installation should look like.
Thanks.

Formula Jr
05-25-2002, 04:56 PM
First time I've heard that one Forrest. Aside from Motorcycle engines, every mount I've ever seen had some sort of rubber bushing to it. Can you elaborate? Curious....

oldLenny
05-25-2002, 08:57 PM
Owen, I think I read somewhere many moons ago that you used to play with Volks's. I did as well. After about 14 bugs, a pick-up, a microbus and a couple of type III's, Oh, and a Karman Ghia, and two race/street motors all I can remember is that the solid mounts in the '59 (2180cc Gene Berg parts and Scat, Weber 44 IDA, Cima 94mm barrels, etc) made it LAUNCH much better. But!, I can also remember not being able to hear the stereo in the car over the gear lash/growl. This was a metal on metal scenario mind you.

I guess the glass work and the ply stringers in a boat have an "absorbing" quality.

mattyboy
05-28-2002, 09:52 AM
sorry can't post pics no dig cam but i was wrong my stringers are notched hard to see over the exhaust manifolds.

Matt