PDA

View Full Version : Fire System

Sam
02-27-2002, 11:32 AM
I am looking of a for a automatic fire extingusher system, probably in the 75-150 cubic feet area. I have looked at the usual marine store suspects and was wondering if there were any cheaper sources. It can't hurt to ask.

THX
Sam

Forrest
02-27-2002, 03:13 PM
I bought four or five older, but never used, Fireboy Halon 1301 marine units of different sizes on eBay for for a great price about a year ago. I sold the larger units on OSO and kept the smaller units for my Magnum and Donzis. They pop up over there from time to time so it's worth taking a look.

smokediver
02-27-2002, 04:03 PM
sam, do yourself a favor and dont get a dry-chemical extinguisher. go with CO2 or halon. the dry chem works great but the mess is real bad plus it could ruin your engine.

SS18
02-27-2002, 06:53 PM
Sam,
Check out cp performance they are not out of line
and a good idea to protect the boat!
Jim in NJ wink

Scott Pearson
02-27-2002, 08:36 PM
Sam,
I ran a Funny Car set up in my 18. Its all Halon and will release by itself or with a cable pull. I have 3 outlets, 2 in the motor compartment at the front and rear of the engine and 1 up under the deck by the fuel tank. It wasnt cheap....Butr it looks cool as hell and I'm sure its over kill.

(NJ)Scott

flametamer
02-28-2002, 08:49 PM
Sam,

I just bought a automatic halon (on Ebay)that came complete with dash light ($52.00).I have seen them from time to time listed. Type in Halon when doing a search. You definitly want Halon for the engine compartment

Jeff

Steven Cohn
03-01-2002, 10:10 AM
Halon systems do work great. However, consider the cost of (re)filling such a system. I believe that the Clean Air Act prohibits the production of Halon in the US. Although halon is still available (military and large corporate computer systems-have stock piled supplies), the supply is quickly being exhausted. Unless you have a source for the gas you're venturing into an extremely expensive maintenance area.

Rich
03-02-2002, 08:19 AM
Halon has been replaced with FE-241 which is EPA and USCG approved. Yeah, they are expensive but not as much as your flame engulfed boat