PDA

View Full Version : DONZI 14' PEANUTS

ALLAN BROWN
02-27-2002, 10:07 AM
Don bought a 14' Glastron, which was a good running little boat. It had lots of strakes, and not too much deadrise. Don decided to build the Peanut, using some of Bob Hammond's technology. I always thought that the Hornet and the Peanut were two of the best looking boats of their time. In any case we finished the first one at midnight, in the rain. It had a hi-perf 110 Volvo on the little Aquamatic 80 drive. Don took it down the canal in the rain and dark, WFO. In about 10 minutes, he came back grinning. "Brownie, this has to be the best handling boat I have ever built. Try a wide open left turn!" I took it out and zipped down the canal, but slowed down for the first turn. As it turns out, when he tried the first turn, it threw him out! He was able to pull the throttle on the way out. When I turned at 40 mph, it did a 360. I ran it back to the dock and said "Jake, you've got to feel this baby turn"..........

seano
02-27-2002, 12:55 PM
That is a funny story Brownie!!!

I've just returned from a trip to south florida where I happened upon an interesting little boat being built which had a deck like a Corsican and some strong Donzi influence...any thoughts??? Do you need more hints???

Great looking boat by the way! wink wink wink

ALLAN BROWN
02-27-2002, 02:04 PM
Naaaah! The AlphaZ is one of my better boats. I would love to see them spread a little wider than the two that Jeff Jones built.

Jim
02-27-2002, 03:45 PM
Alan,
I can relate to your story since I had spent many hours in a friend of mine's 14'. I can't remember once where the boat skipped while having the wheel fully cranked while being wide open. Everytime we ended up paired up next to someone
and I gave the turnaround signal I would pull a 180 and be heading the otherway before the other boat was even halfway through his turn. The other funny thing about the 14' is I can't remember taking a wave over the bow once, much different then the 18' classic. It must of been due to the wide bow and how sharply the hull dropped off of the nose.

Neat story Alan, thanks

olredalert
02-27-2002, 05:42 PM
Brownie,Seano,

------Inquiring minds want to know.Tell us more about this Alpha Z.Is there a website or any pics that could be posted?......just......ol red!

Looped
02-27-2002, 06:12 PM
Maybe this thing??? :rolleyes: :D

http://arneson-industries.com/alpha_z.htm

Donzified
02-27-2002, 07:45 PM
AlphaZ...I would have never imagined.

ALLAN BROWN
02-28-2002, 07:22 AM
That is the Mike Peters AlphaZ II. I did #1. I will try to find a picture to post. It was built with no rubrail or gunwale joint, and NO exposed fastenings.

McGary911
02-28-2002, 10:22 AM
That mahogany alpha z is beautiful boat. One question though. With that big stainless rudder hanging out back, aren't they forfeiting one of the advangages of the ASD? Mounting the
ASD saves them a ton of drag, but putting on the rudder adds some back. Looks like they only use it for the vertical trim, but not steering. Guess thats a concession they make, as this is and exercise in design, as much as it is in engineering.

http://www.donzi.net/photos/acf3d3.jpg

Looped
02-28-2002, 10:32 AM
It could be Polished Billet Aluminum.

ALLAN BROWN
02-28-2002, 11:27 AM
Interestingly enough, all the 180mph cats are doing it just like this.

marcdups
02-28-2002, 02:09 PM
Sir Brown, what a fantastic piece of art!!!

seano
02-28-2002, 06:21 PM
Brownie...yup, there were two in the shop when I was there...a blue onw and a white one which had just been pulled from the mold days earlier...they told me you were behind that one and I wasn't the least bit surprised.