PDA

View Full Version : TRS Drive

Riley
03-27-2003, 09:05 AM
I've been back in the boat market this Spring, and I found a mid 70's 18' Classic with a TRS drive and a pretty hot SBC, and the boat seems to be in decent shape. I'm not familiar with the TRS drive, and was hoping somebody on here could educate me on this drive. Also, are parts still available, and will the drive hold up behind 400+ hp? Any info would be appreicated. Thanks, Chris

Forrest
03-27-2003, 09:18 AM
My '77 X-18 runs a 383 with a TRS and a Merctrans. It's a little heavy when compared with an Alpha, Bravo, or Volvo, but it's rock solid durable, shifts very smooth, and performs well. The down side is that parts are getting harder to find for the TRS and Merctrans.

Also the Madpoodle has the same setup in his X-18, as does Big Grizzly in his 698.5 HP blown Criterion. Ask them, but I would bet that they have no major complaints either.

<small>[ March 27, 2003, 09:19 AM: Message edited by: Forrest ]</small>

Rodger
03-27-2003, 09:24 AM
The TRS drive is an extremely strong drive; stronger than a Bravo. There are no means of shifting gears in the drive, therefore it has a separate transmission. Available were a Merc-trans or Borg Warner trans. The Merc-trans is weaker, and probably the one you have. Still it will easily handle 400 HP. I've had that unit on my F-22 with a turbocharged 454,(about 650 to 700 HP), for 15 years. I did blow the clutches once but did an upgrade when rebuilding it which should make it more reliable. Parts are still available for the trans and drive.

<small>[ March 27, 2003, 09:31 AM: Message edited by: Rodger ]</small>

olredalert
03-27-2003, 10:47 AM
--------Agree with all of the above.Extremely durable drive system.Im pretty sure I know the boat you are referring to.The only thing I couldnt understand when talking to the owner was his statement that the engine ran 6000 RPM at top speed.Possibly he was mistaken on the RPM?With the prop he said was on it the top RPM seemed more like it ought to be down in the lower 5000s or high 4000s.My Corsican has the same setup but a little less horsepower and runs high 60s at 45/4600 RPM.Am presently re-doing a few things to get up above that 70 mark.......ol red!............Bill S

boatnut
03-27-2003, 11:25 AM
The TRS drive is extremly durable. It surfaced in the mid-70's as a way for Mercury to get a high-performance drive (with lower unit capable of high speed unlike the club foot Mercs that were available prior to that) that would handle the horsepower needed for production offshore racing classes. Similar drives from Mercury Racing couldn't be used in APBA production classes. I was racing a Magnum at that time with the best small block drives which were the Volvo units. The TRS drives took the Volvos right out of offshore racing. Mercury of course went to integrated (drive/trans) units for this application that are cheaper and lighter. I had a TRS in a '82 22 2+3 with the borg warner and it was bullet proof.

BigGrizzly
03-28-2003, 12:32 AM
I love my TRS. I slipped the clutch plates onceabd wore them out. It was my fault, I over taxed the drive by almost 200 foot pounds of torque in a 20 year old trans and old plates. Problem fixed for $75 ( i do my own work) and I have no intention of going to a Bravo or XR drive.

cottageman
03-29-2003, 12:11 PM
I have a trs drive on my 86 hornet 3 it's bullet proof it is one of the tuffest drives I have heared that it will handle 1000 hp it dosent airerate on entry into the water i like it

MR MAGOO
03-29-2003, 01:23 PM
I`ve got a 38 Cigarette Top Gun with twin 750 Hawk blower motors and TRS drives. They have held up very well. The gears and shafts in a TRS are much larger than a Bravo.