PDA

View Full Version : Fire fighting systems

mphatc
03-26-2003, 07:13 PM
I just searched the archives on the topic "Fire Extinguishers" . . there's a great post from Donzi Dave from 2001 + numerous participants, most still active here.
http://www.donzi.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=001596#000000

We plan on using our Corsican on many lakes, often well away from people . . . so an accident could leave us in the middle of nowhere with many miles to swim . .

I have several questions on the installlation of a proper system.

1. Halon or O2 displacing gas system?
2. Do I need to close of the engine compartment from the bow? The Corsican has large open areas beside the cockpit.
3. How large?
4. Fusible link , or temp sensor ?

I'd like suggestions and installation tips, supplier suggestions etc.

Thank you,
Mario

Kirk
03-26-2003, 08:48 PM
Mario,

Great post!!

Thanks for the refresh...ok the ultimate question who makes em and how much.

Thanks for the reply,

KJ

Woodsy
03-26-2003, 09:07 PM
Mario...

Ready for Ice out or what? Anyway, on my 22 I have 3 extinguishers, 2 general purpose hand held ABC types for marine use and an automatic halon system for the engine compartment. The Halon system trips the same way a sprinkler head does... I don't know if you can buy halon anymore, but if you can its the way to go. Its odorless & colorless, and doesn't damage anything but the environment as long as you don't breathe it...

Woodsy Von Firefighter...

MOP
03-26-2003, 09:08 PM
My 2's I would go for Halon, buy new so you are sure you get the new type Halon. To me fuse link is best. I having 16 still use hand held, using a fire port on the engine compartment. For those of you that do not know about Fire Ports, it is a hole with a sliding flapper over it that accesses the engine compartment. Senario fire in the hole, if you lift the engine hatch you are very likely to get burned. With the port you flip it open hold the extinguiser tight agaisnt and fill the compartment with CO2 or Halon. I've seen the videos on it a while back it was impressive to say the least. Nothing like rambling on, anyway if you do the hand held thing think of a Fire Port!

MOP
03-26-2003, 09:21 PM
Another note I have been told that CO2 is very corrosive, thats what got me onto Halon. I've checking this one out, for more piece of mind.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=10001&productId=72897&catalogId=10001&classNum=156&subdeptNum=155&storeNum=8

mphatc
03-27-2003, 07:16 PM
M.O.P.
I like the West Marine system along with resonable pricing. Thank you!
Now I just need to decide if there needs to be some sort of partition between the engine and the forward cockpit, or will the fire stay out once it is snuffed w/o O2?

And yes, Woodsy von Iceout, I am urgently awaiting ice out . . the river down here is looking very good . .~7 miles of open water , just a few ice flows remaining, I'll give it a week to settle, and let the debris float downstream. :D

Mario

Scott Pearson
03-27-2003, 07:39 PM
Here you go. This is for a Funny Car. But its in my boat now. It has 3 outlits...one in front as you can see from the picture. The 2nd is at the rear of the motor and the 3rd is up above the fuel tank. It will work by a pull handle (mounted up by my dash) and if a fire breaks out it will go off by itself. Not cheap...about $400.00

All my boats will have this system....no if, and's or BUTTS.

http://www.donzi.net/photos/spearfire.jpg

(NJ)Scott

<small>[ March 27, 2003, 07:41 PM: Message edited by: Scott Pearson ]</small>

MOP
03-28-2003, 06:41 AM
Boy Scott had to look a Pic twice, thought trailer roller was in an odd place! Then I figured out it was a deck off shot. Guys like you are going to make me put a LOCK on my motor hole!

MOP
03-28-2003, 06:50 AM
mphatc I would put something even if it is only formica to limit the area, yes formica will burn but if it gets that bad JUMP! The system does a much better job in a confined area, should kill fire before much if any damage is done. I was on a sea trial for survey when a transmission line blew ans squirted on the turbo we only had one hatch up and the CO2 killed the fire with nothing more than blackening. And Yup fire scares the hell out of me on boats I've seen a bunch over the years. Idiots at gas docks with no blower running. The engine compartment blower should be burned in everyones mind to Over Use it. It has saved many a Butt!