PDA

View Full Version : Pertronix Ignition update

RH
05-21-2002, 10:43 AM
I was talking to a good freind who updated his ignition to this system by a company called Pertronix. It does away with the point system and replaces it with an electronic viewing system under the cap. It looks to be a nice addition, and I was wondering if any of you have tried this before and what results. I am looking to put on new plug wires (tune up) on the 350 in my Hornet, and this idea came up. Any thoughts out there?
RH

Jamesbon
05-21-2002, 10:48 AM
I upgraded from the Mallory LED to the Pertronix module and experienced good luck. However, I believe Forrest (?) had different results.

Forrest
05-21-2002, 04:41 PM
I had different results. I'm running Pertronix converted Mallory distributors in my Magnum. The system worked just fine until the plastic magnet-ring fell apart while I was a few miles offshore in three to four footers. You know, that Magnum is a really wet boat when creeping along in that stuff on one engine at eight mph! Took about a month to get a replacement part since Pertronix won't sell you anything direct and no parts house stocks replacement parts.

Gearhead99
05-21-2002, 08:08 PM
Have used many Pertronix conversions on many old cars that I work on. Only have run into two problems...

1. Can't buy replacement parts. You have to buy a complete unit.

2. Don't leave the key on, without the engine running. It will BURN up, big time. Have seen this happen several times.

Other then this, they are good units and usually don't alter the dist. so you can always put the points back in.