PDA

View Full Version : Yet more idiotic musings on trim tabs

Formula Jr
05-21-2002, 04:32 AM
First off, I'm not a naval architect, yet I play one on TV.

But seriously, for some reason when any one brings up the question of trim tabs, my brain lights up like it knows something that I can't put into words or form yet. The inspiration is Geoo's boat.

The idea is, you take a 16. Toss in a 1000 HP. What would you need to do to make the ride stable. Remember, at this point the hull, is almost meaningless. This is an abstract way of looking at boats, cause you are not really looking at the boat. You're looking at something entirely different: Just the interaction of the drive and what ever is left in the water past the transom and CG considerations. I see this thing that is fly by wire. A long Arneson drive shaft and incredably long and skinny Tabs that have lifted the entire boat completely out of the water like a Hydrofoil. I mean up like 4 or 5 feet up. And the contore of these tabs are changable. And somehow all this is balanced and can follow the waves so the ride is silky smooth. In other words the tabs are fast moving and can follow the shifting topography of the water using sensors at the bow and the whole thing is redundant computer controlled.

GEOO
05-21-2002, 06:19 AM
Jr,

Hum... I have several great ideas too. Let's give them to Chris. Maybe he can do some active computor models.
At on time, I was thinking of putting a ski boat skeg with a fin on it, half way down the hull. It would turn on the dime at low speeds and make it just large enough to lift the boat at high straight speeds. I have read of guys putting little wedges in the hull, at the keel to lift the bow. HUM, I use too has time to play with things like this....

You can put normal power in a boat and play with hydrodynamics to get her fast or power the hell out of her and work on stabilizing her... :D GEOO