PDA

View Full Version : what is difference in 22 2 plus 3 and a 22 classic

thunderrolls
03-26-2003, 10:50 AM
i am fairly new to the donzi classics but i love them, i am looking at a 22 2 plus 3 but am not sure what that means and how is it different from other boats?? any help would be appreciated.
thanks

Rodger
03-26-2003, 10:59 AM
In 1982 the deck style changed on the 22's and the name was changed to 22-2+3. Prior to that there were a few different models of 22 but all with the same hull. Through the 80's the name 22-2+3 remained, but early in the 90's the name changed to 22 Classic. The only difference in the 22 hull now from when they were first introduced in 1978, is a slight downward angle added to the chine. The chine modification was done sometime in the mid 90's. Power and drive options varied through the years. In the mid 80's OMC bought Donzi, therefore the boats were equiped with OMC drives until they were sold again.

<small>[ March 26, 2003, 11:06 AM: Message edited by: Rodger ]</small>

Murphy
03-26-2003, 02:56 PM
It's always been my impression that the 2+3 stood for 2 seats in front + 3 in back. Don Arronow died in February of 1987, following which ownership of Donzi passed to OMC. For me, the pre-87 models are special for this reason, although many fine boats were built in later years as well. As far as I know Classic 22's have always had a 2+3 layout but I think the Criterion which had seating in front of the windshield may have used the same hull.

Murph

olredalert
03-26-2003, 03:12 PM
------Im pretty sure the Criterion hull is not the same hull as the 2+3/Classic hull.When Randy next appears,I think he will back me up on that..........ol red!.......Bill S

Rodger
03-26-2003, 03:18 PM
Yes, the 2+3 hull is exactly the same hull as the Criterion and the F-22; only the deck was changed. Murphy, you are right about the 2+3 meaning seating for 2 in front and 3 in back. The F-22 had the same seating layout but as you know the Criterion did not. The Criterion and F-22's were not as good of sellers as Donzi thought they would be, therefore they changed the deck style to what is current and promoted the boat much more.

thunderrolls
03-26-2003, 04:34 PM
thanks for the help guys, the reason i ask is there is a 86 22 2+3 in my state for sale and i was interested in going to see it but i was not sure if it was the same as a classic. it has a new motor with less than 100 hours and new upholstry and cover and only been in fresh water with a new trailer. they are asking 14900, does this seem fair?? let me know what you think
thanks guys

BigGrizzly
03-26-2003, 07:05 PM
Here we go. The Criterion is a 3+2 with the same hull as the earlier classica only with the deck and supporting pieces it is about 400 pounds heiver and the balance point is farther forwad than the classics which is one reason it rides level compaired to the std classics. the 3+2 is bscause you drive from the bench in the back. In seating the first numbers stand for the primary seat(helm seat). Hell I don't care from 2+3 to 3+2 the Criterion is a blast to drive.

Stix Magill
03-26-2003, 08:56 PM
Thunder,
I think the price is good on the boat you are speaking of. To start your Donzi experience with a 22 is wise. I bought a Minx 20 a year ago and love it, but sometimes I pine for the extra sex-appeal in the longer lines of the 22. You say 100 hours? If it was a crate fresh motor and has been maintained well, and if the interior and hull are in clean condition, hell I'll buy it!
Test drive it and have it surveyed if you are suspicious or nervous. BUY THE BOAT IF IT IS TESTS WELL!
My 2 cents.
The other guys on here know more than me, so if they disagree, ignore my comments (and email me the sellers phone number).

A Donzi will change your life,
Stix

Fish boy
03-26-2003, 09:10 PM
Murphy,
I think you missed a few owners between Aronow and OMC.

http://donzimarine.com/DonziWebsite/Site/History/History2.html

I agree with the 2 seat, three seat thing though.

Fish

Fish boy
03-26-2003, 09:20 PM
Thunderrolls,

sorry for not welcoming you in the last post. Welcome to the Donzi Registry! 22 is a great great great boat!!!!

It is fantastic in any sort of weather, well built, looks and sounds great, and is probably the best handling small v bottom I have ever been in.

You will get a million opinions here, and the combined Donzi/boating knowledge here is amazing. If you have a specific Q about a particular year, engine, drive, price range, ask it. If you want to know if you should buy a 22' donzi, the answer is definately yes.

Good luck and welcome.

Fishboy

Murphy
03-27-2003, 05:21 PM
Fishboy,

Thanks for the link. I knew there were gaps in my knowledge of the history. That is the best historical review I've seen... don't know how I missed it.

$14,900 isn't too bad but there are a lot of variables. What is the new engine? What kind of drive is it coupled to? What kind of trailer is it on? Fresh or saltwater operation? What condition is the interior. Every item listed above can run you from $1k and $5k or more if there's a problem. Get as much information as you can prior to buying and run it up the flagpole here so we can help you know what to look for during an inspection.

Murph