PDA

View Full Version : 302 Cam Profile

Kong
02-25-2002, 10:36 AM
Step #2 in project. I got a hold of a 302 short in excellent shape - all machining done w/balance card. Also has flywheel and dampner. I plan to use my 289 (66) heads but am not sure of the valve springs (aqua color band) and the selection of the cam/lifters. I've heard good things about Rhoads Lifters but am stuck on the Cam Profile. Any suggestions? I will be running a 280 Volvo w/a 23p prop (right CDMA?) I figure on good low idle w/max rpm of 4500 should work. I'm nervous about water getting trrough to the cyls. I believe this is what happened to the 289. Any thoughts out there? I really want to get this ready by the Annual Awakening. :D

CDMA
02-25-2002, 10:41 AM
The Volvo you have is a 280 1.61 ratio. The prop is a 14x22 volvo ultra that looked to me like it had a cup added to it. With a stock 350 chevy/ 260 hp it pulled 4900-5000 rpm at 57-58 mph on an 18.

Chris

You might want to e mail forrest he has what is supposed to be a real nice running 302 and also is very knowledgable at setting up 16's and understanding how to make them go faster.

BigGrizzly
02-25-2002, 07:49 PM
Don't use the Rhodes lifters in that boat they are not a good I dea in that application, The valve springs you have with blue tintare of the stovk rebuild type. Get new ones ad use non bleed down type lifters.
My 16 with a stock 302 runa a 14 3/8 22 pitch Volvo, but not the ultra.at the same speed about 58mph at 5000 rpms.

Randy

Kong
02-26-2002, 08:15 AM
Randy, Thanks - I wasn't sure about the dual range of the lifters and the low end torque ability. Also what would the reason for changing the springs be? Insurance? Do you reconmmend anything? Forrest has recommended a .484/.512 lift cam. Thanks.

Dave.

BigGrizzly
02-26-2002, 10:36 PM
If your ysing a new cam match the springs. Old springs may be weak or of the old design and too fat a diameter wire, and too much seat pressure. I never use old springs with a new cam, the assenbled height pressure could be inconsistant.
As for the cam. I have seen it in action and it does run well. If I were to put in an off the shelf cam in my 302 that would be the one I would use. It is a really good dual profile cam for that motor

Randy

Tony
02-27-2002, 07:48 PM
Randy/Kong,

Which cam are you speaking of? Are you talking of any cam with .484/.512 lift...or of a specific off the shelf brand? What duration would you recommend, Randy? Thanks!

BigGrizzly
02-28-2002, 12:40 AM
Tony Forrest uses a Crane- Its late and I forget the number.

Randy

Kong
03-01-2002, 05:00 PM
Tony - I just got the cam. It's a Crane #CRN-363942 (kit w/lifters) Summit Part # I think. Price 149.00. 216/218 dur -- 484/512 lift. I just put the crank,piston/rods, and cam in and will work on the heads this weekend. No issues other than I'm a little tight on the ring gap .010/.011.

Kong.

Forrest
03-01-2002, 06:18 PM
Crane H-272-2 (http://www.cranecams.com/master/apps/ford24.htm#2.%20Hydraulic)

Cam alone part number: 443941
Cam kit part number: 443942

Here is the Crane Camshaft Spec Card (http://dab7.cranecams.com/SpecCard/DisplayCatalogCard.asp?PN=443941&B1=Display+Card).

Tony
03-01-2002, 09:05 PM
I'm an engine dummy...is this a hydraulic flat tappet or a roller cam? Is there a substantial advantage to a roller cam? I know that with a flat tappet you have to break it in a certain way...run it for 20 minutes at 2k rpm's...or something like that, right?

Kong, it's probably a typo, but I think the duration is 216/228 on the Crane H-272-2 cam. Sounds like that is what I am going with...maybe we can get yours, Forrest's, and mine together in Kentucky and listen to some sweet Donzi/Ford music!

BigGrizzly
03-02-2002, 08:03 AM
There is no real advantage or disadvantage until you get into the upper 6,000 rpm range with a Ford. The only reason for a roller is for a durability standpoint. To you see 454 have an oiling problem at idle with the cams that is the real reason Merc went that way. The other is a sales point, new technology etc. BS. With a Chevy the flat tappet lifter is a smaller than the Ford which poses a problem at high RPMs. All NASCAR guys have been running the large diameter lifters since the 1960's. Any cam maker will say, if you don't need it than don't use it, and I do know a few personally. My Criterion has a rollar fir the idle reason only. My Corsican has a flat tappet cam and I don't have any problems at all. The one thing to remenber if you change a flat tappet cam always change the lifters, if you remove the lifter maks sure it goes back in the same hole. The break in at 2,000 RPMs is nessary for Oiling at start up of a motor, this is not a misprint in the instructions. Some have gotten away with it but only a few. I never have. The Roller in't so sensitive be cause the lifter doesn't spin. and doesn't have this problem, just others.

Randy

Kong
03-02-2002, 09:50 AM
Tony - Yes, you are right. It was a typo 216/228.
Sometimes I type with my fists I think!
Dave.

Tony
03-02-2002, 09:39 PM
Kong, are you doing the AOTH in Kentucky? I'd love to see your 16 in person. Do you go to the Lake George Dust-Off event? You'd be a candidate for the "Don Aronow Awward" given to the the nicest restored 16 footer.

Kong
03-03-2002, 09:16 AM
Tony - My plans are to get the boat done by the Awakening. I think our boats are identical except for the windshield. I will try to finish the restoration (engine, deck core, and drive and engine mount install) in time. It will be close! I ended up with a short valve stem for some reason. The rails to the rocker contact the valve retainer. Not good. I will have to do some dissassembly to the valve to see what is up with that. I'm sure it's all related to the cam lobe and lifter wear in that cyl. Do you have your 351 installed? How did you mount your engine? Any photos?

Dave.

BigGrizzly
03-03-2002, 08:46 PM
Th eher faced off the valve stem too much or used the wrong new one. There are several different stems. If he refaced the valves he took too much off. You need a new one. There are other options but the valve is the easiest and cheapest.

Randy

Kong
03-04-2002, 08:14 AM
Randy - I was hoping someone would suggest that. No more machining!! I hope I can just lap the seats and drop a new valve in. It looks like the keeper is recessed into the retainer a bit. I think I'll get new springs, retainers, and new valve. I'll take a look at all of them today and see if there are any more surprises. Short block and cam/lifters are assembled. No concerns.
Dave.

turbo2256
03-04-2002, 03:36 PM
You can see if the lifers are rotating by turning the engine over with a socket and ratchet and observe if they rotate. its a good idea to prime the oil pump too.