PDA

View Full Version : Windshields for 18' Classics

Rich Maas
05-20-2002, 06:23 PM
Here's hoping someone out there can give me some help or advice......A friend is selling his 1986 18' Classic and I am considering purchasing it but it doesn't have a windshield and I prefer to have one. Can you purchase windshields for the old classics from Donzi Marine or is it a matter of scouring the classifieds and this site to find one? Have the decks on the 18' Classics changed much (or at all) over the years?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Rich

RickSE
05-20-2002, 06:50 PM
Yes you can buy a new one from Donzi or a dealer. You should be able to get one for about $500. Let me know if you need help in getting one. I was told last year though that the 18 windshields are bought from a single source that has one guy who is close to retirement making them. Therefor they can be a long leadtime item.

RickR
05-20-2002, 07:54 PM
FYI All the windshields do on Classic Donzis, is deflect the wind into your eyes. eek!

Formula Jr
05-20-2002, 08:25 PM
I agree with Rigger on this one. Without the shield the wind just wrapes around you. I have never felt comfortable boating beyond desplacement speeds behind a windshield. Its hard to explain, but the shield introduces blind spots, even if they are very small, and to me, acts like a blinder. In small fast boats, like a Donzi, the ability to quickly see everything around you is extremely important and I wear glasses anyway. I don't even run faster than displacement with my Swirl unless I'm sitting on top of the head of the seat with a view well over the windshield. Its a safety issue with me, I guess.... just 2 cents worth of opinion. :D

RH
05-20-2002, 08:51 PM
Rich, i tend to agree with all of the previous posts, but this is where I may get into a disagreement. I tend to like thelooks of the windshields on the classics. I have a 1972 Hornet with the windshield, and it does the same thing, deflect the wing into my face, but I sit high enough to where I see directly over the windshield. In my other boats, I sit up on top of the seat and get a view from above the windshield 90% of the time. I just feel better about my field of vision. I fell that the windshield just gives a finished look to the boat. Just my .02 worth!

Last Tango
05-20-2002, 08:57 PM
Rich,
Since this was your first post I have no idea what your experience and knowlege is reguarding your purchase selection. Be certain what you are buying is a Classic 18 (often called a 2+3), and not some variation (X-18, Minx, to name a couple other Donzi models that could be confused in there). I have a 2001 Classic 18 with no windshield. I opted out of the windshield when I ordered my boat. I think they look very nice. They provide absolutely no wind protection for your face because the seats are mounted high and the winshield is very low profile. As stated above, you probably get more wind (and spray and bugs)in your face with the windshield than without.
Owners of 18's with a windshield need to step up and report.
Mark :cool:

Sagbay32
05-20-2002, 09:11 PM
I like my windshield on my 18. My wife can sit low enough to keep the wind off of her face and I can sit up enough to see clearly over it. I also Like the looks of it.

My $.02

Rich Maas
05-20-2002, 09:24 PM
Many thanks for coming to my aid on my first post! I sincerely appreciate the input in helping me make a decision with regards to the windshield. The boat is an 18' Classic 2+3 (I'm actually looking at a couple of them and neither have windshields). It sounds pretty unanimous that the windshield is virtually asthetic unless you are 4' tall. Perhaps I should invest in a good pair of wrap around Oakleys. It would be great to hear from a few more of you that have 18's with the windshield. :)

Thanks again.

Rich

Tony
05-20-2002, 10:11 PM
Rich...welcome to the board. On my '67 16' (http://www.donzi.net/hull.cfm?id=198) the original windshield does not help me much in the helm position, but my wife likes to sit low in the front of the wrap-around seating while "on the fly". I, also, like the looks and uniqueness of the windshield on my boat.

http://www.mwdonziclub.com/images/tsporer16.jpg

RH
05-20-2002, 10:40 PM
Sweet boat Tony! My good friend Jim has a 1969 18' Classic in those same colors. His has the windshield like yours and I think that it is really cool. I think that they have great looks with or without. Enjoyed seeing your shots at the AOTHII!
Royce

Craig
05-21-2002, 06:41 AM
I have to throw in my 2 cents as I've pondered the same thing re: "the windshield."

1) With regard to appearance, I've asked people (family, friends and some strangers) their opinion on the looks of a 16 (same would apply to an 18) with or without the windshield because I could never make up my mind. The older style (like mine (same as Tony's pictured above)) is fairly easy to remove so I've had mine on and off a lot. I get about 50/50 from folks with re: to which way actually looks better.

2) With regard to the functionality, I think the older style "does" lend some practical benefit. It doesn't throw the wind "directly" into your face, but over it enough to lessen the beating when running fast. My head is actually above it so I can see very well, but it does whip the air over the top a lot compared to running without it.

Here's a thought. Scrounge up one of the older 60's 70's style windshields and put it on your '86. It'll be an eyecatcher and a puzzler to folks at first glance.

I don't know though... those newer shields are awful sharp looking, or without looks good, or the old windshields, ... or the new or ,, or Oh I don't know. Go to the registry pics and enjoy them all!

Hey Tony -- Your boat is very photogenic. Nice shot.

Tidbart
05-21-2002, 06:41 AM
You don't want to ruin the Classic lines of your new 18 with a windshield. Every other boat on the water has a windshield. Stand out from the crowd. Don't give in to the pressure!

When I first got my 18, with no windshield, I was a bit sceptical. After the first few rides, I decided that the first owner was right in not getting one. A good pair of sunglasses is all you need.
Best of luck with your purchase. Either way, windshield or not, you will be happy with your 18 Classic.

Sagbay32
05-21-2002, 06:58 AM
If the windshield is not functional enough for you, get a couple of removable deflectors from www.windaway.com (http://www.windaway.com)

Ranman
05-21-2002, 08:04 AM
I agree that the windshields on the late model classics not particularly effective. I don't feel that they are obstructive in any way either. I don't notice it when I'm driving as I look over it with ease (I'm tall though) I feel that the windshield adds a sleek effect to the 18 and 22 and I would not own either of these classics without it. The 16 is another story. I feel the 16 is better suited without the windshield (the low smoked versoin). I like it only in cases like Tony's where for some reason it just belongs there. Tough to explain. Randy

Looped
05-21-2002, 08:41 AM
I have always thought of an 18’ 2+3 without a windshield to look like a PWC because in my eyes it seems to be missing something and with a windshield it completes the Classic lines. Looking back a few years and seeing Crazy Horse’s 18’ without the windshield and then looking at pictures of it last year before he sold it he had a windshield put on and it definitely made the boat.

Before:

http://www.donzi.net/photos/cringer01ch.jpg

After:

http://www.donzi.net/photos/cringer01ch1.jpg

Referring to the 18’ 2+3’s all of them starting back to 1965 (some say that a few were made that year?) they all had the same contour for the windshield area all the way up to the present. Back in 1986 when this boat that you are looking at was made they offered a stainless steel framed windshield that has not been in production for many years but you could have one made for big bucks at a custom windshield shop. For my 66 18’ restore I will be installing a new aluminum windshield (as RickS states, I better get it soon) just to finish off the lines. These low profile windshields really are strictly cosmetic without any function what so ever but I think that it is the finishing touch to the Classic. As long as you have some decent wraparound shades on then the wind shouldn’t bother you, if it does than you can always move up to a larger boat with a full windshield and loss the feeling of being one with the boat.

Here are a couple of shots of a Barrelback Classic with the “new” style windshield on it that I think looks like it belonged on it back then:

http://www.donzi.net/photos/cringer01bwind.jpg

http://www.donzi.net/photos/cringer01bwind1.jpg

Yes Scott P., I keep EVERYTHING :D
Craig

Crazy Horse
05-21-2002, 09:20 AM
I put the windshield on the boat for two reasons.

1. There is a HUGE amount of effectiveness in deflecting the wind if there are kids in the boat. Especially if they ride in the back.

2. Waves. At headway speed the waves come over the bow. The windshield kept the water off of the passengers.

I also think the boat looks better with the windshield.

GeneD
05-21-2002, 09:33 AM
Looped, that boat is awesome!
What is your top speed?
What kind of engine do you have?
How do you like the ride? Does it ride better than the newer boats?
How about the handling?
Inquiring minds need to know!
Oh, and did I miss something? What year is that puppy?

Looped
05-21-2002, 09:47 AM
Gene,
Those are a couple of pictures that I got from Scott Pearson that he had from someone that he knew. For the most part mine will be the same thing without the side railing and of course, white with a yellow boot strap stripe (I have thought of these colors for a couple of years now and not to copy anyone :rolleyes: ).

Mine has been basically deck stripped and the engine and outdrive will be out in a few weeks. I have had these red Barrelback pix for while now and I keep looking at them to keep me going forward with the restore.

Gathering piece by piece,
Craig