PDA

View Full Version : OOPS Any Tips on Fixing This??

RickSE
05-20-2002, 12:42 PM
Had a close encounter with a buoy due some monster sized Tour Boat wakes this weekend at Powell. Believe me, It Could Have Been a lot Worse. The damage seems to be limited to the gel and did not go into the glass. I've talked to the fiberglass guy at my dad's shop already. He's not seen the boat but seems to feel the only way to do it right would be to re-gel the entire side of the boat. Seems a little excessive too me. Any suggestions? I want to make sure it's done right.

http://www.donzi.net/photos/rstrones30.jpg

http://www.donzi.net/photos/rstrones31.jpg

http://www.donzi.net/photos/rstrones32.jpg

CDMA
05-20-2002, 12:58 PM
Yeah souds excessive to me escpecially since the repair will be under the letters.

Chris

tamburello
05-20-2002, 01:08 PM
The third time out in my new 18 classic I backed the trailer in too far and smashed the nose into the front pylon on the trailer. I t made me sick when I saw the scar on my new baby. The result of my collision was a gouge right down to the glass, similar to yours, only on on mine it hit the navy blue center stripe.

Don't worry money can make your machine an unbesmirched beauty again. I found a local fiberglass repair guru who was able to match the gel color exactly, fill the abrasion, and wet sand it to pefection. There is absolutely no way you can tell it was ever damaged even up close from mere inches away. It sounds like someone is trying to over-sell you on your repair. A fiberglass/gelcoat expert can fill that gouge and make it look like new without having to re-gel the whole side.

My advice it to look around for a local fiberglass repair expert. He/she should be able to match your gel color, fair it in, and make that bouy collision history. Good luck!

RickSE
05-20-2002, 01:34 PM
Thanks guys. Color match, fill, wet sand and buff was my first impression when I saw the damage. I'm not sure the guy fully understands the damage since he's not seen the boat in person. He's my best bet for a quality job since he's now a partner in my father's Donzi dealership. I do not want the entire side re-gel coated. If the new gel doesn't completly match I'll re-apply the registration numbers to cover it.

Sean
05-20-2002, 01:47 PM
I agree. It sounds excessive. Large lettering would be a quick fix :rolleyes: . Not being a gel expert, I would think this would be a quick job for a professional. At least the scar isn't into any paint or graphics. I put a nice scratch in the side of my last 33ZX. Right in the stripe running through the motion graphics. Made me sick. After a $500 repair bill, I was back on the lake. It's unfortunate, but accidents happen and a blimish on a boat is much easier to fix than having anyone getting hurt trying to save it.

Good luck with the fix. It happens to the best of us.

Scubado
05-20-2002, 02:24 PM
Hey Rick,

Sorry to see your boo boo. I can vouch for Bodnar Boat works in Phoenix. They do first class work. Besidse doing some work on my boat they fixed up the "Charlies Angels" boat and the Pam Anderson "VIP" boat, after the Hollywood guys abused them a little bit. They know how to fix things the right way.

623-435-0939, Ask for A.J. was very helpfull and a nice guy.

RickSE
05-20-2002, 05:33 PM
Is this something I could do myself with a gelcoat paste like evercoat? I'm wondering how a professional shop would do it, spray it on or build it up with paste? Are the patch gelcoats like evercoat any good or are they only good for small areas?

I have plenty of experience with automotive bodywork & paint, just don't know anything about gelcoat.

RickR
05-20-2002, 07:23 PM
Depending on your mechanical ability, you can do the repair yourself. Color matching is VERY difficult but in that area it would not be bery noticable.
You can always try yourself and if you are not satisfied get a professionalto re-do it.

oldLenny
05-20-2002, 09:42 PM
Re-gel the entire side of the boat for this?...I don't think so. This is an easy fix. As said above, when that is done, wet sand/polish. No biggy. Save your money. Find a GOOD glass man, a "body man" most probably at a Corvette specialties auto body place. Should be cheaper and better. Your boat is not old so gel-coat colours should not be much of a problem. If they are, employ a photo-specrometer.

You could also fill this area with Microballons and epoxy (or resin) then paint it in this tiny area. Scott Pearson would be the guy here!

RedDog
05-21-2002, 10:49 AM
I had a similar scrape at a similar loction on my 18 last year that I repaired with a do-it-yourself kit. I can see it and probably should try 1 more round at filling/matching color - but I bet most people don't notice it. It is most noticable when on the trailer and about non-existant with in the water due to the low profile. I am with the others - try it yourself first - it is easy, doesn't take much time or money, and if you don't like it go to a professional.

Good luck

FlatRacer, aka BarrelBack
05-21-2002, 02:56 PM
Lake Havasu is overflowing with custom boat builders. A lot of former west coast builders fled CA to escape tough environmental restrictions on the use of boat building chemicals etc. If you have any trouble making contacts, e-mail me and I'll call the guy who built my Bezer. I'm sure he can take care of it no problem. And no, you don't have to gel coat the entire side. Especially with white, spot repairs are super hard to see, even when you know where to look.
Smile, :) It aint so bad. wink

Eric

Looped
05-21-2002, 06:56 PM
Rick,
Like what was stated above ^ go out and pick up a quality gelcoat repair product and try it yourself. You sometimes are better off using a template board and make a gouge in it and do a couple of practice repairs first to see what your colors become once they dry. You lucked out in the area you had the damage done to it because it was in the most inconspicuous area of the hull.

Lately I’ve been going through some “troubling things” and every once in a while I run into this file that I have on my PC that makes me feel just a bit better:
http://www.donzi.net/photos/cringer01opt.jpg
Craig