PDA

View Full Version : Anyone try these?

McGary911
03-24-2003, 04:46 PM
I saw these in boaters world the other day, and was wondering if they're worth a try. Fender Hangers (http://www.boatersworld.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&catalogId=10051&langId=-1&productId=715159) I have no cleats on my boat, just lifting rings, and these would be great if they work. I'll probably give them a try, after all its only $10. Unless they fail and float off with $40 worth of fenders as well :)

BERTRAM BOY
03-24-2003, 05:57 PM
They USUALLY work pretty well if you tie the other end to the grab rail......
BERTRAM BOY :D :D :D

Dredgeking
03-24-2003, 06:03 PM
i'm learning to deal with not having cleats, but it's difficult. is there a support group i can attend? wink

Scott Pearson
03-24-2003, 06:04 PM
I have them. Cliff is right...they will have some extra at the ends...tie them off somewhere because if they dont stick for some reason...you wount lose them.. The area you use them MUST be dry or they wont work. They are good on lakes....I would not use them on the bay or unprotected waterways. Or overnight. Unless it was on a calm lake.

(NJ)Scott

hottub
03-24-2003, 06:14 PM
Unreliable, at best. Surface must be dry.

mattyboy
03-24-2003, 07:24 PM
Cliff, Scott can't you tie your bumpers off to the bungy cord holding your batteries in ????
I use one of those lil suckers that hold your drink in place and tie the bumper off to my beer can :p wink :D ( it has to be a guiness or tall boy 12 oz cans won't work)
McGary you have a big boat you'd be better off lookin at pop up cleats

Matt

<small>[ March 24, 2003, 07:32 PM: Message edited by: mattyboy ]</small>

BUIZILLA
03-24-2003, 08:16 PM
I think it needs to be sent down here to have the cleat predicament properly evaluated..

:D

Don't expect to get it back though.. wink

J

Eugene Nahemow
03-24-2003, 08:20 PM
I have tried to use these on a ski boat that I have with no cleats. They do not work!
I have tried them on the surface both wet and dry.
No luck.
:mad:

z22owner
03-24-2003, 08:33 PM
I have cleats on my boat, but not in the right place to dock up to other boats, so I use these exclusively and have never had a problem. Work best when boat is gelcoat is clean and dry though.

kevin

z22owner
03-24-2003, 08:34 PM
Guess I ought to learn to review what I write. I meant to say they work best when your gelcoat is clean and dry.

MOP
03-24-2003, 09:01 PM
Hi I am around alot of boats being a broker, there are better types that slip over your grab rails grab rails. They are good strong white plastic one that will hold a fender and you can adjust the the fenders lines real easy. Also they even though not real big will hold pretty large fenders. Check Em out!

http://www.go2marine.com/frameset.jsp?servletPath=/g2m/action/GoBPage/id/23677F/hiLiteSku/23677/categoryId/12357/

Scroll down this one even cheaper!
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&categoryId=456&langId=-1&subdeptNum=11207&storeNum=5

<small>[ March 24, 2003, 09:15 PM: Message edited by: M.O.P. ]</small>

Tomahawk
03-24-2003, 09:01 PM
I have a set of them too. Come to AOTH and I'll give them to you. Suggest you install some pop-up or pull-up cleats. You're going to need a better way to tie off your boat anyway.

knee deep
03-25-2003, 07:12 AM
There are two support groups for people with afflictions connected with Donzi. The first is for actively afflicted-Donzi Anonymous, Hello My name is Bill and i have two Donzi's. The second group is Donzi Anon, Hi My name is Bill and my 18 does not go fast enough..........

Barry Phillips
03-25-2003, 08:40 AM
Not great, I use them on my 18. I come back to my boat and find at least one floating in the water. I would suggest Accon pop up race style cleats or the slim line pull up style units. I have also seen a cool little pop-up mushroom cleat on eddiemarine .com. The po-pup style cleats are also available from West Marine and Overton's . Another neat product I have seen is a fender pin that is tied to your fender line and inserts into a receptacle which is through bolted on the hull, you can even put a red trim ring on it. Donzi uses this system on the ZXs. You can also get simple deck mounted fender hangers at West Marine but they lack style, sort of like the standard cleats that Donzi mounts on the stern of the current Classics. I have stern cleats, so I only use the suction cups a midships, I use 2 suction cups on the fender and hang it horizontally along the side of the hull, or I try tying off at least one end to a grab handle or something.
Better yet mount cleats.

SO-SLO

Barry Phillips
03-25-2003, 08:43 AM
Not great, I use them on my 18. I come back to my boat and find at least one floating in the water. I would suggest Accon pop up race style cleats or the slim line pull up style units. I have also seen a cool little pop-up mushroom cleat on eddiemarine .com. The po-pup style cleats are also available from West Marine and Overton's . Another neat product I have seen is a fender pin that is tied to your fender line and inserts into a receptacle which is through bolted on the hull, you can even put a red trim ring on it. Donzi uses this system on the ZXs. You can also get simple deck mounted fender hangers at West Marine but they lack style, sort of like the standard cleats that Donzi mounts on the stern of the current Classics. I have stern cleats, so I only use the suction cups a midships, I use 2 suction cups on the fender and hang it horizontally along the side of the hull, or I try tying off at least one end to a grab handle or something.
Better yet mount cleats.

SO-SLO

Ranman
03-25-2003, 10:59 AM
Maybe I should order some of those pop-up deals. I'd hate to have a repeat of the "kevlar shorts" incident at an event like AOTH or Winni. eek! eek!

McGary911
03-25-2003, 12:40 PM
So they work a little.....just about what i suspected. I'll probably give them a shot, with the suggested "leash" for if and when they fail. If it turns out that i need cleats ill definately go with the Accon pop ups. In fact i have a friend that runs a ski boat dealership, who may be able to hook me up. If i can get a deal, i'll let you guys know for sure. As of right now though, I don't want to go cutting holes in the deck unless i have to.

Ranman, Accon could make a mint with their pop ups using your testimonial. They can sell it as their retractable "restore dignity" feature. :D