PDA

View Full Version : 22 Classic Delivered

Classic Robb
03-24-2003, 10:38 AM
I brought my 22 classic home on Saturday. Went to the lake for my maiden voyage. All I can say is that it was more than I expected. The dealer has advised I break the engine (496 mag) in for the 1st 5 hours. I do have a question and have seen the same question on this board. The engine makes a strange high pitched noise at around 3000 rpms? Does anyone know of a cure? I tried a search but nothing came up. Thanks

Air 22
03-24-2003, 11:23 AM
Robb...You need more than 5hrs to break in that engine more like 15-20hrs.. is it brand new? Do you have a stock motor? Blower? Not sure of the noise need to be more specific. An EFI sounds more whiney than a Carb but you might ask Mad Poodle..the expert :D Be sure to run all rpm ranges but don't run wide open for more than a few seconds. Smoothly run to full power then run her down to mid-range rpm. Your engine needs to run at all ranges not just full power....even when she's broken in ;)Check your oil after a run! Post some pic's.. luv to see'em :D

tamburello
03-24-2003, 11:34 AM
Congrats on your new aquatic toy. Sounds like a nice ride to usher in the 2003 boating season with. Unfortunately, I'm not sure what the noise is but I'm sure that some of the wiser Donzi cognoscenti on this board will help you track it down. Have fun!

roadtrip se
03-24-2003, 11:56 AM
Rob,

Congratulations on your new Classic!
I remember the day I drug my 2001 home
like yesterday.

People are right about break-in times.
20 hours, never at one position on throttle
for very long, and short bursts of wide open
only. Then change your oil and let her rip!

The EFIs do make some strange noises. Typically,
the whining and hissing noises are caused by the intake and the flame arrestor. These things suck a lot of air and make some strange noises doing it. Nothing to be alarmed about. A K&N filter will give her more air which should quiet her down AND believe it or not, flipping the bilge blower on quiets mine down too! Strange but true.

Keep your ears open and enjoy the new ride. Won't be long before someone here is trying to talk yopu into more power any way!

Todd

Silver Streak
03-24-2003, 12:06 PM
Rob,

Congratulations. So, where did you splash? Where are the pictures? Who went with you? Details! Details! Details! Inquiring minds want to know!

If you decide to head to Grand, shoot me an e-mail we would love to meet you somewhere

Rick :cool:

McGary911
03-24-2003, 12:15 PM
Congrats on the new ride!! Seems like theres a bunch of us getting our first splash thrill this time of year. Make sure you read Jim G's Preaching to the Choir thread....His description if pretty vivid. You probably feel the same way, i did.

Good luck with her...looking forward to pics!

mattyboy
03-24-2003, 01:23 PM
check the belts too, good luck welcome aboard

Matt

boxy
03-24-2003, 01:44 PM
Where was the co-pilot sitting.....
....rear bench ???
eek! eek!