PDA

View Full Version : 23 ZF Performance.....

boxy
03-24-2003, 09:46 AM
My Dad is looking at rolling 3 of his boats into 1. He currently has a 23' Powerquest, a 16' CC outboard, and a 12' fishing boat.
He was looking at a 23' ZF while he was vacationing in Fort Meyers, and here is the question...
How well does it perform with a single 250 EFI?

Given that all of his boating will be in inland waters, the redundancy of twin 150's is not needed.

Are you giving up much performance by going with a single 250, or is the 50 hp less made up by less weight, and less drag ?

Thanks

Budmann
03-24-2003, 10:00 AM
The boat runs very well with a single engine. When I was at the factory, we saw as much as 60 mph with single Yamaha. Fishboy (my brother) has one that he loves. He has had it for maybe 15 years, and won't part with it. The boat has great lines as well.

I would tell you to have your father check for deck root. Have seen a couple of them with this problem. Wasn't a problem with folks who took care of their boats.

HP 600SC
03-24-2003, 10:20 AM
The 23ZF is very different from the F-23, nothing in common..... I do not know of ANY 23-ZF singles.....

<small>[ March 24, 2003, 10:22 AM: Message edited by: HP600 SC ]</small>

boxy
03-24-2003, 10:45 AM
Ted, they offer it both ways, could the reason you may not see any of them where you live be due to the fact that if you're going off-shore, it's always better to have 2 motors, or do you think the boat suffers with only 1 outboard ?

Thanks

PS: we are looking at fairly new stepped hull ZF's.

Shanghied Again
03-24-2003, 04:22 PM
Boxy, The 23ZF with a single 250 runs 54-58mph gps the 23 with twin 150s rus just at 60. I will call you later at home.

Fish boy
03-25-2003, 09:31 AM
Boxy,
I have an fc-23 that I am completely in love with. Mine is a little different in that it does not have the stepped hull. I wish it did since I have a little too much hull in the water when running for the speed I want.

I saw one with a single and it ran very strong. If you are not going to be running way off shore all the time, I would consider the single. There will be less weight (less engine and carry less fuel), letting more of the boat get out of the water and I would imagine a little better fuel mileage.

With the twins, you will get a little more speed and be able to carry more weight (people, fule gear...) without appreciable loss in performance. Also have the security of a second engine, but unless you are planning on going offshore and carrying the weight all the time, the single may still be the better call.

FYI: the boat dry, not rigged, weighs 4800#. add 140 gallons @approx 6.17#/gal is an additional 863#. 150's are 431# each (862# for both not rigged, no fluids). The 250 only weighs 508# not rigged, no fluids.

you will have another 350 lbs of engine and probably need to carry an addiional couple hundred lbs of fuel with the twins. DOnt know if you fish flats, but you may lose an inch or two draw with the extra weight strapped to the stern.

Just my $.02. I am definately not an expert, just trying to be helpful.

Fish