PDA

View Full Version : Zink this?

Surfer
03-24-2003, 07:38 AM
Can anyone give me some information (and a little background) on zinks. I'm starting to notice a little corrosion on my Volvo 280. Is there a specific part available, and where do it go? Thanks

Greg K
03-24-2003, 08:21 AM
I think the only zinc on the 280 is on the lower unit behind the prop. As shown here, part #36, 280 Lower Unit (http://www.dougrussell.com/partscatalog/images/omcvolvo/ACF15B.gif)

<small>[ March 24, 2003, 08:22 AM: Message edited by: Greg K ]</small>

mattyboy
03-24-2003, 08:22 AM
Surfer on my 250 I know of 2 zinc sacrafical anodes one is the trim tab on the back and bottom of the cavatation plate and the other looks like a prop spacer a circular disk around the prop shaft hope that helps

Matt

<small>[ March 24, 2003, 08:24 AM: Message edited by: mattyboy ]</small>

Surfer
03-24-2003, 01:22 PM
Plans are to make it to Mt Dora, if my trailer parts come in, I'll be there with or without boat. See ya

HyperDonzi
03-24-2003, 02:39 PM
What about Zinc's for an Alpha 1 first gen?

Formula Jr
03-24-2003, 02:50 PM
Fresh water boats use anodes made out of magnesium. Gen 1. Alphas Have four anodes. Two buttlet anodes, The small Torque compensation fin anode and a block anode where the trim pump lines connect. MR type ones, Have the two bullet anodes and a large fin Torque anode but don't have the straping wires. Alpha second gen added anodes to the ends of the trim cylinders, the wire straps and some have active anodes tyed into the battery. Alpha second gens. The theory behind anodes, is that any boat will create a small electrical charge due to the fact that you have disssimular metals in contact with each other while bathed in a Grounding bath of water. The charge is positve through out your boat being conducted to the ground - in this case water. You want to control presicely where that voltage is discharged, cause that point will try to "Plate" to the negative, and you want to controll where you will be putting metal into solution. Thats why they are called scrificial anodes. Its a cheap part you can replace as opposed to an expensive part you don't want to replace.

<small>[ March 24, 2003, 03:12 PM: Message edited by: Formula Jr ]</small>

Tony
03-24-2003, 08:59 PM
At AOTH 2 I had dock burn on my chest from leaning over and working on my Volvo 200, just ask The Poodle who helped me. Problem was, I had my new Ultra prop too close to the zinc ring. On land I had clearance, but apparently under a load the prop compacted the thrust washer and scored the zinc, and the heads of the screws!

BillG
03-25-2003, 09:28 AM
Tony
I had the same thing happen on my 200 drive. It did not compress the thrust ring. The tab washer on the thrust bearing in the drive came loose and let the shaft move forward. The load was then taken by the needle bearing and the aluminum case at the front of the drive. Not a good thing. It split the forward bearing race on the shaft.
Bill G