PDA

View Full Version : Historical post 2..

Tony
03-22-2003, 10:13 PM
Here are Gene Drago's first posts. We've come a long way, baby!

Thu Jun 5 10:01:06 1997 Gene I am currently looking at a boat (Donzi, 16 ft) at a marina up the street from me. It has been sitting in this marina's yard for about three years, and has never moved. My buddy says it's a Donzi Sweet Sixteen. It has left hand steering, wrap around bench seat, a V-8 engine, and what looks like a white Volvo outdrive, with a torpedo type thing on the end of the propeller. No upholstery, and no engine hatch. There is a hand rail around the cockpit. It is definitely an old boat, I can't determine it's age at this point. Does anyone have any idea what year it might be, and what I could offer these people for the boat?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tue Jun 10 11:01:55 1997 Gene Drago I have found some more info on this Donzi I previously asked about. It seems that this boat is a 1967 Sweet Sixteen. Hasn't been run for 5 years. it has a Ford 289 cu in motor with a Volvo-Penta outdrive. No carburator. The outdrive will not turn left to right. It has been repainted. No interior upholstery. The steering wheel has heavy duty UV damage to the rubber (white). Brand new (5 years new) Donzi trailer. It is missing the cowl vents. The engine hatch is there, but does NOT look original. The hull is in basically good condition, I see no problems with that area. I am currently negotiating the price. These people are firm on $3500.00. Does anybody got an idea if this is a fair price? It sounds high to me, but I know that this thing is a definite classic worth a lot of money restored. which brings up an interesting thought. Where can I get parts for this boat? I called the factory and they said that parts for the older boats were very rare...no kidding...and thought that the parts from the new Classic line wouldn't fit properly. I'm dead set on getting this boat. Any help out there?

Forrest
03-24-2003, 04:22 PM
Where is ol' GeneD? You've got to miss him!

GeneD
03-26-2003, 01:51 PM
Hi guys...
Tony, don't ever do that again...it's just too embarrassing.
Forrest, and I guess everyone else, been very busy with school. School you say? What happened to Throttle-Up Propellers? Well, they are still there and they are still the best in the business.
But I moved on, and I am now going to medical school. I figured all my race shirts said Dr. Gene Drago, it was time to do something about it.
Acutally, my long term goal, and it's going to take around 3 years, is to be a Surgical Assistant.
The O.R. is quite a place, and though I was a bit apprehensive about observing my first surgery, I didn't pass out, and was totally engrossed. It really is facinating.
So the reason I haven't been around lately is that I go to school full time, and really don't have a lot of computer time for y'all. But maybe I can allocate.
Talk to you all soon.

Forrest
03-26-2003, 04:10 PM
Wooohh, Dr. Gene! :cool: :cool: Now Gene, I don't want to be giving you advice, ol' buddy, but I would start out easy in that profession. Say for the first year or so, just do minor stuff, like tonsils, gall bladders, gimble bearings, and easy stuff like that. :D But stay way from kids though, they scream too much. Later as you hand gets a bit steadier, you might want to give a stab at hearts, brains, intestines, EFIs, and that other hard-to-deal-with big-money stuff. eek! wink wink

But in any event, best of luck in your new endevior, and please keep us informed.