PDA

View Full Version : BB engine questions

Philip47
05-18-2002, 11:16 AM
Engine spun a rod bearing on my engine 454 haven't seen the internels yet but is supposed to be a steel crank 7/16 rods etc.

If the correct lower end parts are in place I'll repair my exsisting motor, if not what about the GM Marine base motors? 454 HO 425 hp $4,600

or a 502 425 hp Marine for $5,309.........

Will all the parts from my Gen IV motor bolt over to the 502? ecept the flex plate and a electric fuel pump?

The engine in my boat is stamped as a "CE" block, how can I be sure it's a marine version?

RickR
05-18-2002, 04:04 PM
<<Will all the parts from my Gen IV motor bolt over to the 502? ecept the flex plate and a electric fuel pump?>>

The balancer and flywheel are different on the 502.

Your Mark IV heads will not work on a Gen V but I am not sure about the Gen VI.
The Gen VI has a fuel pump boss different timing chain cover and lifter bores are set up for roller hydraulic cams.

Gen V and Gen VI have non adjustable valve train (easily switched over to adjustable), crank and oil pan set up w/one piece rear oil seal.

If you go with the GM base engine get the marine version w/marine water pump, cam and oil pan.

Check out Competition Products (http://www.competitionproducts.com/) for rotating assemblies and cranks. They have free shipping on their 540 assembly wink

Gearhead99
05-18-2002, 04:58 PM
If the oiling system is good, you usually spin a rod bearing from detonation. Detonation beats the bearing enough that the locator tang becomes nonexistant. The bearing is beat thin and turns in the rod.

Check it out before you loose the next engine too.

Philip47
05-18-2002, 05:19 PM
Spun a bearing a a more stupid way than that, wanted to check timing at full advance, bought the engine up to a little over 3,000 rpm, checked timing, blipped throttle and, knock knock knock