PDA

View Full Version : Uh Oh....

harbormaster
03-21-2003, 04:58 PM
A little spring cleaning and maintenance...

http://www.donzi.net/photos/compart1.jpg

http://www.donzi.net/photos/compart2.jpg

http://www.donzi.net/photos/compart3.jpg

<small>[ March 21, 2003, 04:59 PM: Message edited by: Harbormaster ]</small>

Shanghied Again
03-21-2003, 05:31 PM
Hey Scot, Why is the motor out? :confused:

blackhawk
03-21-2003, 06:04 PM
Because that's the best way to get the bilge clean! wink

BUIZILLA
03-21-2003, 06:48 PM
Is it that hard to change the spark plugs?
:p

J

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
03-21-2003, 06:53 PM
GREAT POST Scot...
Nothing like a clean bildge. :)

I am sure there is more to this story!
Best of luck and keep us posted.
Bryan

abelchinewalker
03-21-2003, 07:15 PM
No guys, he bought the 2 900 SC Mercs that Poodle was selling a few weeks ago.

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
03-21-2003, 07:36 PM
I just noticed the exhaust tip out.
Do tell..

Scott Pearson
03-21-2003, 07:51 PM
Why is the hatch laying on the ground!!!!!! Your killing me...pick that thing up and store it in a safe place!!!

(NJ)Scott

harbormaster
03-21-2003, 07:52 PM
The tip was pulled in order to keep from cutting the exhaust hose.

I had an oil leak down low on the engine.

When I was buying the boat I noticed a scum line on the walls of the engine compartment. I asked the marina who was selling it for the owner, what the story was. It had rained while the owner was out of town and the battery was dead so the bilge pump could not pump it out. They flushed the motor amd everything was fine.

The marina guy said it had happened 1.5 year previous. The a mechanic I paid to check out the boat said that the starter and trim motor needed replaced. Everything else was fine.

WELL, this summer when we redid the water pump on the outdrive, we could not align the engine as well as we wanted because the front motor mounts were frozen and could not adjust.
The gimbal bearing was also shot from the water getting into it.

I first pulled the trim pump/motor/solenoid bracket because the solenoids needed replacing and the fluid in the tank was really murky nasty.

We noticed a lot of rust and oil lower down on the block and pan. I decided to pull it and take care of everything that could be potentially wrong.

After we pulled the engine we noticed that the power steering pump cooler line had a hose clamp that as not even tighted. We also noticed on the other side a manifold hose with a broke clamp that was hanging loose!!!

I can imagine what would have happened if one of those had popped off out in the bay!!

At this point:

1. The bolts on the manifold are really rusted up. I am going to "remove them" and replace the bolts. I will also remove the risers and resurface the gasket surfaces and replace the gaskets.

2. The front motor mounts are shot. I am going to remove the rusted motor mount bolts and replace them. The rear mounts are fine

3. The recirculating pump is looking like it is leaking. I will replace it.

4. The pan is leaking and has some surface rust where it meets the block.

5. The rear main could also be leaking. With the motor out its a piece of cake to replace. I need to pull the bell housing anyway to clean up any rust underneath.

6. The front timing cover looks like it is leaking. I will pull it and replace the gasket.

7. I am also going to pull the fuel pump, clean the corrosion and paint it.

8. The secondary circuit on the weber carb was not working so I am rebuilding the carb.

9. I am scrubbing the bilge and maybe recoating it.

10. also replacing all plugs, cap and rotor(all the plugs had cracks in the insulators and they were running rich.

I have got a bunch of cans of Mercruiser Phantom black. I will then repaint the engine and everything so that it looks brand new and then drop it into the boat.

Thats about it. I am guesing the boat will out of commission for about 2-3 weeks.

<small>[ March 22, 2003, 07:02 PM: Message edited by: Harbormaster ]</small>

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
03-21-2003, 08:02 PM
Thanks for the data Scot, get her all fixed up and back on the water.
Where was the oil leak?
So, new motor mounts, what else?
Just curious.

We splash tomorrow for the first time this year, we are very excited....

THANKS for the update on your post, keep us posted an pictures please!
Bryan

<small>[ March 21, 2003, 08:35 PM: Message edited by: Bryan Tuvell 26ZX ]</small>

ToonaFish
03-21-2003, 10:33 PM
When were you in Pensacola?

riverrat
03-22-2003, 05:31 AM
man Scot, that thing might just run with the rat boat when you finish. oh ya, it's a carb motor I forgot eek! anyway, that's a bigger list than you thought ? looks like the best approch to me. have fun :D

tha rat

<small>[ March 22, 2003, 05:32 AM: Message edited by: riverrat ]</small>

David O
03-22-2003, 06:53 AM
The virus is spreading.

BigGrizzly
03-22-2003, 07:17 AM
Nice move Scott, Somehow I would expect nothing less from you! Now get that hatch off the ground.

Dredgeking
03-22-2003, 07:40 AM
harbor master,

if you can do that in 2-3 weeks. you're the man. most boat projects take 3 times longer than expected. mine always do :(

good luck. sounds like it'll be sweet when it's done.

harbormaster
03-22-2003, 07:57 AM
What is this fixation some of you guys have with my hatch being on the ground?

Bad-Tat
03-22-2003, 08:08 AM
Scott,
The hatch thing is because we don't like to see a grown man cry when somebody steps on it!!! :D

roadtrip se
03-22-2003, 09:49 AM
Hatch obsession? Mine was encapsulated in bubble wrap and stored in a hermatically sealed chamber when we swapped out motors! Now please, I beg you, get that that hatch off of the ground.

Your re-rigging buddy to the north...

Ranman
03-22-2003, 06:01 PM
Nice move Scot. When you're done with this project, you will have newfound confidence in your rig.

I'll bet you lunch that after you complete your "list" Black and Blue will break into the mid-sixtys easily.

ANyone else want to take me up on that???

David O
03-23-2003, 06:50 AM
Scot
As a kid growing up, tripping over power cords and pulling the tools off the workbench, I learned put it on the floor and it can’t fall. Simple concept.
Your hatch can’t fall or fall over.

GEOO
03-23-2003, 07:52 PM
Welcome to boating.... At least it's a Classic (Donzi) and worth all the effort. Best of Luck...

harbormaster
03-23-2003, 08:50 PM
Update...

Riverrat (Steve Dold) came over today and brought his cutting torch. He is a pro with that thing. We cut the nuts off of the motor mounts and got them off.
He also brought some KROIL. We sprayed it on the manifold bolts and let them soak. He then drove a smaller socket on the the ones that had rusted heads. We got them all off!

Thanks Steve! I could not gotten those off without you!

After Steve left I started wire brushing the block and manifolds gettin them ready for paint. I wiped them down with a rust killer after wire brushing them. I will paint them with phantom black.

I think I found my oil leak. This setup has the remote oil filter. The mounting plate for the hoses spins onto where an oil filter normally goes. Well I believe it was leaking there.

The bilge is full of water and bilge cleaner. I do not believe I will need to recoat it.

Did I mention that the hatch laid on the ground all day today? :D

<small>[ March 23, 2003, 09:34 PM: Message edited by: Harbormaster ]</small>

BUIZILLA
03-23-2003, 08:58 PM
I've been using KROIL for almost 30 years now... I swear by the stuff. Glad to see it helped ya out without toooo much consternation.

J

<small>[ March 23, 2003, 08:59 PM: Message edited by: BUIZILLA ]</small>

riverrat
03-23-2003, 11:50 PM
any time buddy!!

the rat :D