PDA

View Full Version : Outdrive Cleaning

Zinger
06-04-2003, 07:08 AM
Has anyone ever came across small white pit's over the entire outdrive . The boat is used in salt water , washed every time it's used and store on the trailer. My old drive was the same way the pit's get bigger. Tried wax, penetrating oil and the white marks still come back. Thanks Jeff

Surfer
06-04-2003, 07:13 AM
Same problem, it was suggested to me, to have the drive sand blasted, the only way to get microscopic, and then powder coat instaead of paint. Has anyone gone this route?

MOP
06-04-2003, 07:41 AM
Not sure about powder coating have not tried it. But if you decide to paint you must get every bit of corrosion, the metal has to be bright and shiney. You must coat it immediately as almuminum corrodes super fast. I up untill a few years ago used Zinc Cromate primer but have switched to what a buddy uses at his ship yard that services the aluminum CG boats, Pettit Rustlock they bill it as a STEEL primer, but it holds better than anything I have ever tried, my painting of a very salt exposed aluminum parts shows of absolutely no breakdown even though some were not prepped as good as they should have been. The Pettit product blurb below.

6980 Rustlock Steel Primer
A one package moisture cured polyurethane coating designed for application over any steel or cast iron surface, including galvanized or stainless steel. Rustlok Steel Primer contains aluminum flake pigment which forms a dense, water impervious barrier. The result is excellent corrosion protection. In addition, Rustlok's polyurethane chemistry offers tremendous adhesive strength and wetting ability. It is this combination that allows Rustlok to perform well even when applied over rusted surfaces. An easy to apply effective anti-corrosive barrier coating.
Associated Products
12120 Brushing Thinner