PDA

View Full Version : Launched...Finally

windmill
05-17-2002, 06:37 AM
Well after eight months of work I launched the 22zx. Fun little ride!

Still two little problems, one is the temp is reading 180-185. I think she is running cooler than that and intend to replace the temp. sensor/sending unit, and the depth sounder is not yet secured to hull or functioning. Question? Does anyone have a favorite location for optimum performance of the transducer? Where did the factory place it? I assume over the centerline somewhere under engine?
Any suggestions?

W

Scubado
05-17-2002, 11:50 AM
I had a Gaffrig depth sounder installed by my incompetent dealer. They mounted it just in front of the motor. There is a flat spot there but it has an air void. Needless to say it didn't work. I found that the best place for my boat was back near the transom. The ventilation from the step seems to hinder the depth sounder performance. I think the further you mount it from the step the better. Anyway, it doesn’t always work at higher speed but usually is fine at cruising speeds.

Have fun with that ZX, let me know what you end up doing and how it works. By the way, I have an extra transducer if need one let me know.

KRAVEN
05-17-2002, 04:28 PM
I have the Gaffrig depth finder in my 2002 18ft scorpion classic.The factory mounted in front of the motor and to the right of centr aprox.6in.The keel on the boat is to thick to shoot thru.
Good Luck,KRAVEN

Donzigo
05-18-2002, 09:40 AM
I just bought a Gaffrig transducer kit. Haven't figured out where to install it yet. I was thinkng about mounting it at an angle on the hul. Is a straight vertical mount better. I realize that an angel mount would give a small false reading; but, it would be close. Is it hard to get attached to the fiberglass?

I would appreciate some tips before I do it wrong.

Anaconda
05-18-2002, 06:03 PM
Thanks for the tips. I will post my results.

RickR
05-18-2002, 06:38 PM
You can test different areas of the hull by adding enough water to cover the bottom of tranducer. Hold in place with something like a sand bag.

I build a dam with plumbers putty and attach with SLOW SET epoxy.

Do not clean tranducer with solvents. It'll melt.

windmill
05-19-2002, 06:40 AM
Thanks Rickr..good advice. Just curious..but how or why is it that the transducer will work without a water cover after it is glued in place...but not prior?

electronically handicapped...
windmill

RickR
05-19-2002, 10:03 AM
The water lets the sound waves get to the hull, so they can go through. As long as the bottom of the transducer is submerged it will work OK.

I use SLOW set epoxy because it hardens more and forms fewer air bubbles when curing.