PDA

View Full Version : Battery Boxes?

McGary911
12-14-2003, 03:09 PM
I'm going to be straightening up my engine compartment a bit this offseason. It's pretty good now, but some parts could use some paint, polishing etc. (yeah, i just saw Pearson's 18 yesterday, and I'm a bit jealous) One thing that needs changing is the battery boxes. The ones in there now are the cheap plastic boat us 9.99 specials right now. I'd like to get some like this: Eddie Billet Boxes (http://www.eddiemarine.com/cart/details.asp?SubCategoryID=236)
Eddie marine also has some cast aluminum ones that would be about $20 cheaper. Anyone familiar with these? Know of any other cool ones out there?

Thanks.

Ranman
12-15-2003, 08:20 AM
MAybe not as cool as the billet units, but functional. These are what I run.

http://www.gilmarine.com/products/batbox/index.html

Dr. Dan
12-15-2003, 04:59 PM
:D I purchased a pair of the Eddie Marine Fusion Coated Boxes with the additional Polished Tops...I got the Boxes in Teal, and the Polished Tops really finished them off nicely. They are not for the non-dextarious among us, and they do not provide access to easily jump with cables...if you have the covers....But the "Cool As ****" factor is very high... :p

Doc

McGary911
12-15-2003, 08:22 PM
Dr D, that looks like a pretty cool idea. Do the polished tops come with longer threaded rods for the extra clearance?

Here's another thought. Do the dissimilar metals (aluminum\stainless) lead to a corrosion situation? especially if the boat is run in the salt? I just thought of that tonight.

Dr. Dan
12-16-2003, 03:13 AM
wink Yes ...they do however....I think...I got the standard size for mine....I was pressed for time when I received them..and I have not addressed it since,with Eddie Marine(a winter negotiation). I have not had any corrosion issues with the Boxes.

Doc :cool:

MOP
12-16-2003, 08:41 AM
Having been a salt mechanic most of my life I recommend a little prevention during installation. Any metal bases should be sealed to the surface to keep any water from getting under it, the screw holes and screws should be coated also. Before screwing bases down mark your holes and perimeter put a small dab of silicone where the screws will go and around the perimeter before setting base down. When screwing the screws in bring them do snug not tight resist the temptation to tighten, that will leave a film of silicone on the parts and will help to not damage the coating and isolate the metals. Any threads should be coated with clear silicone both in the hole and on the threads. Once the silicone kicks off the parts will be very well secured. Down the road anytime you nick the coating it should be touched immediately. Always use clear it cleans up a lot better than the colored stuff and clean up before it cures.
Any sailors out there mail me I can tell you how to make your chain plates not leak for several seasons.

Barry Phillips
12-16-2003, 08:55 AM
My 22 came with Gill composite hold downs, they are sturdy and and work well, but a little boreing to look at. I would like to change them out after I replace the Grant steering wheel and install some kind of boarding ladder on the transom.

SO-SLO

roadtrip se
12-16-2003, 02:10 PM
I installed a set of Teague silver billet aluminum boxes after I noticed the factory stuff from Gil starting to let the batteries rock and roll.

They are great quality, much more functional, and I concur with the cool as s**t factor! Mine do not have the step tops on them giving free access to the posts.

Todd
From Detroit, the bling bling capital of the world...