PDA

View Full Version : A little help - engine cover lifts

krakmeup
03-21-2003, 08:39 AM
I would like to add support rods to keep the engine hatch open on my 1976 Classic 18 when I work in there. Has anyone ever added the lift gate type rods used today on all the hatchbacks and rear glass windows of SUV's?

Can you give size specifications and mounting hints??

I do not intend to drill through the hatch, but with today's available adhesives (epoxies or 'liquid nails' types of goo are much better today than a few years ago, if proper set up and preparations are done) should allow me to fashion a mount on the underside. Thoughts?

Thanks, Keith (tried a search on this subject but came up empty)

Forrest
03-21-2003, 09:03 AM
Oh yea, I use a pair that I bought from the local chain auto supply to hold up the heavy old engine hatch on my Magnum. They work great! On a light hatch such as one on your Donzi, don't get a pair that are too powerful. Something pretty light will work. In any case, you will need to figure out the lenght to make it work right. West Marine and other suppliers also sells them in different lengths suitable for what you want to do, and they also include the mounting brackets that you don't usually find in the auto supply.

Sagbay32
03-21-2003, 09:40 AM
They come on the newer 18's. Have someone measure their's and get a part number.

Mike.....still no Donzis

BUIZILLA
03-21-2003, 11:10 AM
West Marine has them in a kit, in their catalog, with SS upper and lower brackets for around $80 for both struts and both SS brackets. You need (2) flat and (2) 90* brackets.

J

krakmeup
03-21-2003, 08:32 PM
Thanks for the leads - I went to Boat US and looked, the struts come in all sizes (actually weight capacities), so should I buy 20, 30, 40, 60 or 90 pound capacity? Do I weigh the cover and divide by two (since I'll be using two struts)? Or do the over kill method and get two struts, each with enough capacity to hold all the weight by themselves, in case of failure??

harbormaster
03-21-2003, 08:36 PM
Keith come on over and look at mine. You can also take one of mine to West marine to match up if you like. I won't be needing if for a few weeks.

Scott Pearson
03-21-2003, 10:15 PM
Keith,
Here you go. Just some input...mount them like this. I know the new Donzi's are mounted with the bottom of the rams towards the front. If you mount them like this you can still have room to work on the motor with the hatch still on if you need to. The other way you cant.

http://www.donzi.net/photos/spearlift1.jpg

http://www.donzi.net/photos/spearlift2.jpg

(NJ)Scott

AVickers
03-22-2003, 12:39 PM
When at home, I just take the hatch off. Stand behind the boat, slip it off the hinge pins and lift it off. Makes everything easy to get to.

If you're out on the water, use a paddle to prop it up. You'll need to prop it at a bit of an angle so that the hatch won't slip off the hinge pins...

krakmeup
03-22-2003, 03:41 PM
Scott P, thanks for those great shots, a great inspiration! Do you know what weight capacity your struts are? You did an awesome install job on those!

Harbormaster - I think I will try to come see you Sunday to take a look and do some measuring, thanks - I'll call you first.

Thanks Al - I've removed it a few times already, but out on the water I can just see it slipping overboard one day, and me doing a quick plunge to recover it, so instead I want to fasten it with a clean installation like the newer ones. Gotta go to the boat store once more, sigh - they really know me by name, sight and credit card number now (though not in that order!! eek! )

Scott Pearson
03-22-2003, 08:12 PM
Not sure of the weight capacty....I just used what ever looked right. I will be doing the same thing on all the other Donzi's.

(NJ)Scott

MOP
03-22-2003, 08:53 PM
Scott the attention to detail in your motor HOLE is from what I can see a WOW. Maybe we'll bump into each other I'd love to see it.

Scott Pearson
03-22-2003, 09:57 PM
Mop...Thanks! I'm sure we will meet up over the summer.

(NJ)Scott

MOP
03-23-2003, 07:47 AM
Many of you have noticed the aluminum tubes several manufacturers are putting on the hatch rams for safety. I modified the same basic idea, but using plastic hose the thick clear stuff. It works fine, does not rattle and does not wear the paint off, and now the wind can't sneak up and whack you in the head when checking stuff. Just in case you may not have seen the tubes on the rams it is cut to fit the extended rod and sits between the shoulder of the ram and the top fitting. Just slide it up into place when needed. I've done it for two customers and now need to do my own.

Air 22
03-24-2003, 10:44 PM
Krackmeup...I just went through this same thing...Go to your local auto parts store for the shocks. decided on a length 1st. then before buying check to see if you can compress the shock w/ your hands and arms. Not rocket science but if you can't get them to compress by hand or pushing down on w/ little body weight then they have to much psi and you run the risk of not being able to close your hatch...or worse cracking the hatch etc... eek! Westmarine has the brackets but the shocks are much more. $$ 13 at the auto ...$20-30@ Westmarine. Pepboys, Autozone, etc are good places to look. Hope this helps.. Post pics when your done. Scot P....I'm not impressed :D I want to see a hydraulic lift on yours eek!
Just bust'in ya wink looks great :D

Scott Pearson
03-25-2003, 05:18 AM
hydraulic lifts are just more crap to go wrong. I wouldnt even think of installing them. Simplesity at its best!

(NJ)Scott

MOP
03-25-2003, 07:13 AM
I agree Scott but the stock hatch rod will not hold the hatch in the wind. I caught mine just in time last season, I know it would have damaged the hinges or something. With the rams even if they die and won't hold the hatch, the safty tubes will. I would not be without them, if I had rams.

<small>[ March 25, 2003, 08:13 PM: Message edited by: M.O.P. ]</small>

Air 22
03-25-2003, 09:34 AM
Scott P. ...hydraulic lift is crazy on your boat I'm just makin sh-- up cuz your Donzi looks tooooooo good :D I wouldn't open my hatch in the wind that was questionable eek! ? no kidding they are not designed for that... hatch or shocks...sails are though:D Looking fwd to LG wink

Walt. H.
03-25-2003, 11:58 AM
Hi Keith, I used two 12"X20" 30 lbs gas lift supports from west marine. But I would recommend using the 20 lbs supports. You will have to make spacers and screw the mounting bracket's in, "NO GLUE" Scary thought!!Fiberglassing blocks on is the way yo go. Use chop mat glass first. or please, don't consider doing it at all with glue!! The bracket's come two in a pack and you will need one pack for each strut.It's worth doing.Good Luck, Walt......

<small>[ March 25, 2003, 12:06 PM: Message edited by: Walt. H. ]</small>

mattyboy
03-25-2003, 12:45 PM
what's the matter Scott can't find a pair of canary yellow hydro. rams wink :D I have a pair of lime green ones if you need em :p :p
Hey you could just lay the hatch on the ground like harbor does eek! wink :D

Matt
down the hatches

<small>[ March 25, 2003, 12:47 PM: Message edited by: mattyboy ]</small>

Scott Pearson
03-25-2003, 08:03 PM
I'll have to paint them yellow...... :D

(NJ)Scott

krakmeup
03-26-2003, 06:14 PM
Cool!! Many thanks to all, specifically to Air and Walt - I will head for the auto parts store and check it out; still trying to figure how to attach to the hatch without drilling thought the top side, but of course will probably have to do some glass work. I'll post pix as I move along with the project - this is one of my higher "non-operational" projects to tackle. Right now I'm focusing on hose replacement, finding spare/additional props (any 14x26 LH's out there?), and getting my impellor pump serviced.

This work is the fun of owning this boat - I'm loving it!! Thanks again for all your help - you all keep coming through like this and I'll keep making her better and better, if that's possible!!

Keith