PDA

View Full Version : Battery Sizes

BERTRAM BOY
03-20-2003, 03:55 PM
Do any of you "Old Timers"(I'm not naming names,but you know who you are) know if "standard" marine battery size have changed over the years?
Here's the story. I took the battery tray out of the 16(We think it's 1965)to make a new one because the old one is too rusty, and a Group 24 doesn't fit. It's too wide on both sides, by about 1/8 inch, and not as long either.
I'm confused......Can someone help? What size battery is supposed to go in there?

Thanks
BERTRAM BOY :D :D :D

ToonaFish
03-20-2003, 04:30 PM
Wouldn't that mean that your battery is 30odd years old?

Now that's a diehard...

MOP
03-20-2003, 06:35 PM
Most any marine store will have what ever tray for what ever battery you decide on. Nice and neat and reasonable. I know I will get some argument about the next statement. Don't go for much more battery than you need. I have seen and done it myself years back, put the biggest battery in a low battery usage boat. I due to past experience know they do not last as long as they should, I think they need to be worked a bit to keep them in shape.

BigGrizzly
03-20-2003, 07:54 PM
Actually I do agree with you. This has to do with Led acid Batteries only---!!!Batteries need exercise if it is too light it loafs and has the tendancy to sulfate, which killthe batter. One nice thing working for an auto/Motorcycle/power Equipment company you get to test all theseDifferebt thinges and Batteries were one of them I spent weeks with Uasa and Excide and Johnson batteries as well as Delco. If you ask which is best I will say all are better thab they were 20 years ago. Years ago Marine batteries were the only ones that supported the plates from the bottom. Which is what made them Marine type. Now all major brands do and are more capable than old marine types. In your DO NOT use DEEP Cycle batteries. They are designed to go from full charge to no charge then re charged hence the name. In your Donzis they will sooner then the other tupes. Just for the rechord I averae about 4 yyears per battery. I just replaced the one in the Corsican last year and it has been in it since 1996!

<small>[ March 20, 2003, 07:57 PM: Message edited by: BigGrizzly ]</small>

Donzi Di
03-20-2003, 08:22 PM
The information you guys provided is great but is not really what we needed.

What I am wondering is if the dimensions of batteries made back in 1965 were different than the dimensions of batteries that are made today? The battery tray that goes into the 16' will not hold a battery that we can buy today. The dimensions are different.

Just as a FYI... the battery tray that we have for the 16' is the original.

Any ideas?

BUIZILLA
03-20-2003, 08:50 PM
BB..or is it DD ? :p
Batteries from that era were smaller at the bottom than the top due to a slight taper from top to bottom. The measurements back then were all given off the base dimensions on tar tops, not the top dimensions. Batteries today are more squared off due to their molded cases, so measurements are more *square* in nature, and more uniform from top to bottom..
A bud of mine in high school had a 16 with a 289 HM and I kinda remember it was the exact same battery as his 66 289 Mustang cause we had to use the car battery one day... The Fords also used bassackwards + and - terminal locations which is why we did this cause the cables were to short for *normal* battery terminals from any other car.
I'd bet a late style G24 is about 1/4" - 5/16" larger overall than the early G24, which may esplain your situation.
Being as how this applies since the early 70's, what battery has been in it since then, that DID fit your original carrier?

J

<small>[ March 20, 2003, 08:56 PM: Message edited by: BUIZILLA ]</small>

MOP
03-20-2003, 09:19 PM
Are you trying to go original so as to preserve its dignity. Or do you want to update it :confused:

Woodsy
03-20-2003, 09:43 PM
Cliff & Di...

If you guys want to keep the original battery tray, check out www.hemmings.com (http://www.hemmings.com) What you are going to need is an older battery size. There are lots of places that sell these batteries for the resto car market. There used to be a Mustang Resto place outside of Hartford that would probably have the battery you are looking for in stock.

That being said, it would probably cheaper and wiser to upgrade to a modern battery box & battery for now, until you get to a complete resto... those old fashioned batteries are not cheap

Woodsy :D

Scott Pearson
03-21-2003, 05:46 AM
I would just bungi cord the thing down to the back hatch... :D

(NJ)Scott

penbroke
03-21-2003, 07:14 AM
My '66 18 2+3 has the coated angle iron battery mount between the stringers just in front of the engine. It too is built for a smaller (narrower) battery. Likely the same thing?? Anyhow, I have a 2 year old battery from Interstate. If it would help I can measure/read part numbers this weekend. If you have the same setup, I would be interested in your solution. I was thinking about mounting 2 battery boxes to a new stainless frame for either 2 batteries or one battery and tool/parts storage in the other.

Frank

<small>[ March 21, 2003, 07:18 AM: Message edited by: penbroke ]</small>

Donzi Di
03-21-2003, 12:50 PM
Hey Scott,

Maybe we ought to just bungi cord you to the back hatch. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Diana

<small>[ March 21, 2003, 12:51 PM: Message edited by: Donzi Di ]</small>

mattyboy
03-21-2003, 01:09 PM
nope no help here not the original battery box in mine sorry, Di and Cliff

Matt

penbroke
03-21-2003, 08:19 PM
My '66 18 has the original battery mount and an Interstate MT-56 battery in it with no mods. The previous owner installed the battery about a year and a half ago so you should be able to get one. The battery measures 9-3/4" x 6" x 7-1/2" high with the posts above that.

I think the issue is that batteries have just gotten larger over the years.

I hope this helps.

Frank