PDA

View Full Version : Fifty hour report on "old" Donzi's

JimG
06-03-2003, 05:37 PM
For all you lurkers out there fence-sitting, wondering if you ought to buy that vintage Donzi you’ve had your eye on: Here’s a fifty hour report on a couple of “old” boats:

Mine’s a 1970 18 2+3, Krakmeup’s is a 1976 18 2+3. We’re both close to fifty hours now since we bought our boats early in the year. As you can tell by the number of hours, we USE our boats! :D

http://www.donzi.net/photos/jimgrf.jpg And in SALT WATER! HORRORS! :o :D

Other than a few minor and expected items, both boats have been extraordinarily troublefree. We’ve both changed water pumps, and I added new gauges. I tuned my 351W up a little and swapped carbs. Other than that, the drivetrains are as delivered.

These old boats are incredibly well engineered, and heavily built. Everything about them is robust, from the hardware to the gelcoat. Smooth and rattle-free in a chop, you can feel the solidness of the hull when you land. These boats don't slam... The outdrives are performing as expected. In short, these boats are a joy to own!

So, if there’s anyone out there hesitating to buy an “old” Donzi, don’t wait! You will not regret the purchase!
:)

Rootsy
06-03-2003, 06:52 PM
GOOD For you guys! i hope they stay that way too and keep treating y'all right! Nothign is better than being able to enjoy your toys worry free! :)

hmmm guess my 16 was made with a blender too then... so i must be one of the lucky ones... no rattles, no squeaks, no leaks, no stress cracks... just 2400 lbs of pure insanity... right Todd? eek! :D wink

CDMA
06-03-2003, 09:11 PM
eek! Pissed eek!

Dredgeking
06-04-2003, 07:31 AM
jim,

great to hear the toys are running fine. my '76 16 ran great the few times we had it out. i agree they older ones are built like tanks. excellent quality. i'm glad you guys are getting the hour in. with the baby due in august we've stopped boating for a while.

CDMA
06-04-2003, 09:17 AM
Jim,

Nothing to do with you. Glad you have enjoyed your boat so far. It is nice to see new donzi owners go about it the RIGHT way.

Chris

JimG
06-04-2003, 09:47 AM
And the best thing is... over half of my total hours were earned with my baby at the wheel! She LOVES that yellow DONZI!! :D http://www.donzi.net/photos/janet.jpg

krakmeup
06-06-2003, 07:59 AM
Thanks Jim -
Awesome shot of the Donzi Girls!
Have to agree, I've been very impressed with the Donzi! I've done nothing more than typical minor repairs and enhancements, and have easily put 50 hours on the Classsic in the past three months! Got Donzi Rae checked out, and created a speed demon! She loves to drive the boat too, so much that now the big boat is up for sale to get something a little faster! Anyone need a great go-slo wine & cheese boat? See it (shameless plug!) in Boattrader, search for Sea Ray 355T.

As for the Donzi, I am planning for a winter turn-around to fix an oil leak at the oil filter mount, and while down I expect to freshen up the bilge area. I have some minor outdrive fluid seeping, so I expect I'll learn about Volvo drives then as well. Until then, it's turn the key and GO! I'll do another 50 hours before August, I'm sure.

With as many thongs and go-fast crowd we're gathering, this is gonna be a non-stop summer! I keep forgetting to even take pictures out there (sorry, forum members!), but will try harder next few times.

For those fellow Texans - assume we're out there any given weekend, and call us to see where we're hanging out. If you see the floatilla around Mental Floss (Sea Ray 355T), just come on along side!

Keith & Donzi Rae (Ruth Ann)

MOP
06-06-2003, 08:28 AM
The 355T is a really nice family boat, lots of room. I was on one a few years ago that had Perkins diesels, the guy and his wife had been up and down the coast a few times and loved the boat.

krakmeup
06-06-2003, 11:08 AM
Agreed M.O.P. - We've had 14 on board and no one's bumping into each other. But with twin 260's shes only good for 15-20kts. Otherwise a truly great boat - 8 people on the flybridge works, and lots of salon, just no cockpit room. Sea Ray only made 69 of them, apparently they didn't hit their market well, but we love her for a great party barge!

TMANN
06-06-2003, 11:25 AM
These are both incredible boats and people. Very clean and in great shape (The boats of course) :D . I have not been out on Krakmeups but I have seen it up close and it’s perfect. I have been on Jims and it was a blast and one of the cleanest 1970 I bet I will ever see. You would think they owned them the whole time. Anyone close to Redfish on a Saturday should stop by. They will be there.

TMANN