PDA

View Full Version : Buying an 18 Ludington, Michigan ?

harbormaster
05-16-2002, 12:43 PM
I am purchasing a 1995 18 Classic from Abrahamson Marine in Ludington Michigan. I need a volunteer who can go take a look at it and shoot lots of photos within the next few days.

I will pay for your gas. In particular I need to know if it has the Thunderbolt 4 or 5 igition (5 allows me know how many hours are on it). I would also like the name of a reputable marine surveyor/Mercruiser Mechanic in the area.

The Boat does not come with a trailer.
I am leaning towards having a trailer built and then flying up there and renting a truck to bring it back. Any suggestions on what city should I fly into? Ludington does not seem to have an airport.

I appreciate everyones help. I have parred down some of the responses to this post in order to better wade through the information.

Ranman
05-16-2002, 12:56 PM
Scot, I think you are talking about Ludington, Michigan. MI = Michigan, Mo = Missouri.

I would try these folks in MI:
Scott Elgas - Cadillac
Chris Riley - Cedarville
Steve Curtis - Muskegon
Jeff Wright - Holland

Ludington is slightly south of Traverse City on the west side of Michigan (on Lake Michigan). Hope this helps. Randy

Tony
05-16-2002, 07:56 PM
Scott Elgas in Cadillac would be the closest, probably about an hour away. I'm about 3 hours from Ludington, but would go for you in a pinch. What boat are you looking at? I looked at an 18 about three years ago from up that way, it may be the same one.

Brad Lyon
05-16-2002, 09:18 PM
Tony, depending on the day of week and time, I would meet you and go as co-pilot.

Brad

windmill
05-17-2002, 06:13 AM
I am about an hour from Luddington. Let me know if I can be of assistance.

Rootsy
05-17-2002, 03:27 PM
Scot,

while not as good as the famed ROLLS trailers, Eagle Trailer is located here in michigan and they do manufacture custom fit trailers for the donzi's. Might be able to get one in a timely fashion and have the boat set and ready to go back to it's new home in texas... may be a viable option by the time transport, loading and unloading costs, plus a trailer are all factored into it in the long run.

roadtrip se
05-17-2002, 10:30 PM
Scott,

That's great news. Good luck in putting together the deal. I agree with other posts here. I would try to have the boat shipped on a trailer.
Less chance of damage riding supported on an Eagle. They make a pretty decent trailer and can produce one fairly quickly.

I see a Texas Donzi get together happening summer of 2002................

Todd

Tony
05-18-2002, 11:19 AM
Integrity Trailers in Nunica, MI (616) 837-9758. They supply trailers to all PowerQuest boats, and recently did a nice job on some modifications to my trailer. Ask for Rod.

harbormaster
05-18-2002, 06:06 PM
Anyone have a favorie Donzi Dealer near Ludington? Eagle only sells through dealers.

Brad Lyon
05-18-2002, 07:47 PM
Best one I know of is where Scott Boldts purchased his boat. It is right around the corner from where Doug Lovins and Jamie Root live. It is Ski Sensations in Brooklyn Michigan. Are you going to come up here to pick up the boat and trailer? If you are going to fly up here and get a vehicle from Auto Drive Away or something I am sure us looooopers (that's for you Woodsy) can get the boat and trailer to the Detroit area for you.

I will be taking my boat up north next weekend and placing it onto my lift so my trailer will be available if you need it to get your boat somewhere. However, I will need it back ya know.

Brad

Riley
05-19-2002, 09:18 AM
If push comes to shove and you need to pick up an Eagle trailer, I have several dealers that I could ask about buying a trailer thru. Heck, you might even be able to get one for a great price! Let me know and I'll put out some feelers. Thanks, Chris Riley

harbormaster
05-19-2002, 12:20 PM
Auto Drive away??

Brad Lyon
05-19-2002, 03:36 PM
Yes, Auto Drive Away. If you wanted to go to New York for a month but didn't want to drive your car but you wanted your car there, you can have Auto Drive Away get it to New York for you or if you wanted to go to Florida but you didn't have a car to drive you can call them and they can furnish a car for you to drive to Florida. See http://www.autodriveaway.com/ they may have a SUV or truck with a trailer hitch that needs to go to Texas, you would fly to here, pick up the SUV or truck, pick up your boat and drive to Texas. A friend of mine owned the company for a while. There are other companies like them if your interested.

Brad

oldLenny
05-19-2002, 11:57 PM
I am not as concerned as others as to the "aquiring" avenue that you choose Scot Van A. but I will say,...CONGRATULATIONS :D :D :D . I want to see some pics, lots of 'em.!

harbormaster
05-20-2002, 07:36 AM
Here are the only photos I have. I am calling a marine surveyor today. It is a 1995 18 classic with Mercruiser 260 Chevy and Alpha1.
The boat supposedly has low hours. It belonged to a millionaire who has 3 other boats all at his cottage on Lake Michigan. He wasn't around much.

http://www.donzi.net/photos/scotdonzi1.jpg

http://www.donzi.net/photos/scotdonzi2.jpg

Ranman
05-20-2002, 07:47 AM
Scot, The boat looks nice, can't say the same for the trailer though. Are the folks you're buying from keeping the trailer or are you just going to get one that will make it more than 30 miles?

Rootsy
05-20-2002, 07:50 AM
is she officially yours Scot? If so congratulations and i hope you love it! what year is she? what does she have for power?

as for eagle trailers and their customer service... guess if i ever need a trailer and get treated like that they'll lose my business... i've never really dealt with them just know they are close and make custom fitted trailers for our toys...

I believe grand rapids is probably the closest major airport up that way... you are probably an hour or two from ludington from there. Others here would probably know better than i... since i am not from that side of the state.

harbormaster
05-20-2002, 07:52 AM
I still trying to decide whether to ship it back or Kim and I fly up and drive it back with a U-haul Truck (793.00).

I spoke with Rick at the local Donzi Dealer and he is working me up a quote for an aluminum trailer. Anyone have experience with a folding tongue trailer? This might be helpful when storing the boat in the garage.

tamburello
05-20-2002, 12:09 PM
I have the sistership to your new ride. Mine is a '94 with the same navy blue on white and the 350 Merc. Mag, Alpha 1 combo. I live in Holland two hours south of Ludington. Let me know if you need anything when you come up to Michigan. Good luck with the new purchase!

Brad Lyon
05-20-2002, 07:51 PM
Scot,

I agree with Jamie, I would think Grand Rapids would be the nearest airport to Ludington. For the folding tongue we saw some trailer at the Detroit boat show and everyone thought that they were a great idea. I know it would save room in my pole barn.

Brad

RH
05-20-2002, 08:57 PM
Congrats Scott, that is a great looking 18! IT will amaze you how much better that it will look on a new trailer! Good luck with the survey and the rest of the process. I really enjoy the process of obtaining boats. It is an exciting feeling that I really enjoy. Don't let it stress you out, it always works out.
RH

oldLenny
05-20-2002, 09:30 PM
Scot. I like the U-Haul, Budget thing. I have done this twice now. (only haven't put the boat on the hitch when it was time to bring one home)I drove two ways, not one. Most places will give you a "deal" 'cuz it looks after the rental for a week or so and they don't have to worry about it making money for a bit. The other nice thing is,...if it blows up or something horrible happens you can pull to the side of the road, have a big laugh, and wait for them to get another delivered to you to carry on. I sure am happy I did that the last time I was in L.A. I NEVER thought the planet could get THAT hot and had I taken mine it would have been stranded somewhere south of Sacramento and probably started a brush fire.

The other side note...?...Kim and you will enjoy the holiday and seeing some new parts of the world,all in the endeavour of bringing home a "new" boat. An exciting 6-8 day vacation.

I have paid about $800 US twice now (I paid for the gas) for a distance of about 2700 miles and 4 days. Obviously you are beyond that mileage but they should be able to give you a good two way deal. Also, tell them you are TOWING something. Up here, in Victoria, the only trucks I can rent are "personal ones" held by the Budget operative. Their policies up here don't cover the vehicle if it is towing something. Tell them up front if you go this way.

Best of luck!!!

Sagbay32
05-20-2002, 09:33 PM
Scot,
If the boat is straight, you are stealing it for that price!