PDA

View Full Version : Go Fast or Sell ?

HELLERBOY
05-15-2002, 12:36 PM
Im looking to give the 460 in my 22c a good dose of Steroids,I have the OMC K.C. drive.
Q's is how much HP can I put in the engine before the drive craps out, & the stock egine mounts/stringers what can they handle? The boat is a 1989. (if someone has done work to the 460/omc drive setup I would love to here the pros/cons.)I just dont want to put money in the egine if the drive cant handle any more power than stock HP.
Hellerboy

RedDog
05-15-2002, 03:08 PM
refer to this older post on the subject - go for it

http://www.donzi.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=002374

RickR
05-15-2002, 06:53 PM
One of the mechanics at Innovation Marine, Sarasota told me the late model King Cobra could handle 650HP. Alot of times it is not the HP but the driver and his luck. I let a "friend" drive my 18 and he hit a submerged log, bending my prop blade and chipping a tooth in my King Cobra. Cost the insurance company $2700 to replace the upper gear set.

As you know, running agressivly offshore in your area can be very hard on drive units. eek!

BTW Some early 89 King Cobras are the weaker drive with the dog clutch.

HELLERBOY
05-15-2002, 07:16 PM
REDDOG,Thanks for the post
RickR, I agree with you most probs are from the driver/owner care towards the boats.With having the King Cobra drive & dropping the hammer,I have always been slow on and slow off the power.
It's just with upin the HP on the 460 I don't know if the "mechanics" of the OMC drive will handle it.

MOP
05-16-2002, 07:35 AM
My 2 cents! Having been involved with OMC drives since the mid seventies they did have some HORRORS! For many years even working for an OMC dealer respected the mercs and revered the volvos. Now that I am off the wrenches I have my office in a yard that works on all of them. The drive of the last 10-12 years are all pretty darn good. I have compared gear & shaft sizes and they are all pretty near the same looking quality and strength. I do know that OMC drives need the updated interupter packs and the red cable going to the drive. Our tech says Merc has gone through alot of the same transitions, both drives are good drives and will do the job. But he and I agree that the Volvos are alot less bothersome but older models will blow out (Not Blow Up) at lower speeds than most others. The new style lowers did away with the blow out problem. The other penny use good oil, I like synthetic keep it clean in and out. And if you ding a wheel run it home slow, that shaking goes through every mechanical part and the boat.