PDA

View Full Version : shifter stuck in "N"

donzifirstlove
08-16-2003, 09:44 AM
the throttle only button on my quicksilver shifter/throttle assembaly is stuck in. I had this prob 2 months ago so I fooled with it trying to take it apart. I saw that there was a alen wrench set screw at about 4 o'clock on the shifter. I loosened it up hopeing that it would alow the arm to come off. the set screw fell out in the prosses but, the button also popped out and worked fine, it worked for 2 months with no trouble and no set screw. today i started it up in my driveway before goign out tomorrow because it has set for 2 1/2 weeks. started up fine, went to shift and nothing but throttle. luckily this prob has never come up in the middle of the river. any help with this would be apreciated.

thanks
steve

Zinger
08-16-2003, 05:30 PM
donzi ibelieve the set screw is only for tension on the shifter , the black plastic button has a shaft about the size of a pencil and is most likely stuck in neutral. good luck Jeff

RickR
08-16-2003, 05:50 PM
You're have to get the button to pop back out.
Wiggle shift lever, use some thin lubricant, pry it (without damaging plastic)

CrackerJack
08-16-2003, 06:14 PM
Here are two pages from the quicksilver manual,
hope this helps.
http://www.donzi.net/photos/qs1.jpg
http://www.donzi.net/photos/qs2.jpg
Could not read the pages when resized smaller.

donzifirstlove
08-17-2003, 09:49 AM
crackerjack, those pages you copied were a huge help, I realy appreciate you posting them for me. the guy that owns the local boat shop said to take it apart, clean it and put it together and it should work fine.

thanks again,
steve

CrackerJack
08-17-2003, 11:36 AM
Glad it helped. When you have the unit out check the crimped connections on the wiring. I have had some of the crimps go bad.

banfield
08-18-2003, 01:30 PM
Yes, thanks for the pics from the factory manual... I was having similar problems on my old boat (getting ready to sell it) and these helped out alot!

Where's a good source for buying the appropriate Mercruiser factory service manual for a particular setup?

Don Banfield