PDA

View Full Version : Z21 Questions

DTM
08-16-2003, 09:34 AM
Two areas:

1) I am looking at a 1987 Z21 that has a "split" windshield. All the others taht I have seen (in person or pictures) have a one piece. I like the one piece and was wondering: How hard to change and where can I get a "one" piece?

2) These is a Z21 on e-bay that needs "TLC" and is missing the engine and outdrive (small block). Anyone have any rough idea how much an outdrive and engine might go for (closer to stock than "done-up)?

Jim
08-18-2003, 10:10 AM
Its funny you noticed that, if you look at his pictures he never shows a front shot of the boat unless the cover is on. Its the shot of the interior that you get to see the two piece indshield. I just replaced my plexiglass on my 1988 Z21 and I must say it was very frustrating at times.
This is the scoop;
Donzigo had informed me that Stratos was the windshield manufacturer who is no longer in business, different then the boat company.
New plexiglass cost $900 which included the two side pieces, the real bitch is the center piece which is just over 8' which requires a large oven. A oven is required because a mold has to be built to form the center piece, this is why the guy bought an after market windshield and and the reason for splitting it was probably for shipping reasons and to save the customer money if they ever had to replace one of the pieces.
The real job was trying to find the excrusion to go between the windshield frame and the Plexiglass. That took me about a month to find and its not made out of rubber but actually vynl. I had a company out of Boston, MA make my windshield but I found the excrusion out of a company in PA. who also does plexiglass replacements as well as excursions. Not sure if its common or not but it looks like most places just form the plexiglass for you and your responsiable to get in the frame with the excrusion.
The one other catch to this whole thing is everyone required for me to send them the old windshield so they could build the mold and verify the fit. Not the easiest thing to ship around since the main piece is over 8'.

I guess if you can get the second boat for a low price it might be worth it.
Here is pic of my old windshield before I brought up to MA.
Good Luck, Jim
PS. Maybe we could work a deal on that TLC boat, I would love to get the dry exhaust off of that boat. Not sure what type of condition the pipes are in but I was thinking of asking him for some pics of the engine compartment. http://www.donzi.net/photos/jslahtosky19.jpg