PDA

View Full Version : Newbie needs help, looking to buy Sweet 16...

bob_knox
06-02-2003, 10:59 AM
Hello-

I am looking to buy a Sweet 16 (1990-95), but have no experience with Donzi. Are there any particular trouble spots with these boats that I should be aware of? Any "they all do that" type problems? I know the basic design has not changed in years, but are any model years better than others?

TIA,
Bob K.
Boston

SS18
06-03-2003, 07:32 PM
"TTT"
surely someone could reply and help or answer.
This is what I'm talking about Mr Harbormaster.
Everyone does not have to be an expert to enjoy this forum or brand.

TuxedoPk
06-03-2003, 07:40 PM
The better years are up thru 1986. Construction changed to chopper gun vs. hand. This unfortunate change happened during a dark period in Donzi history called the "Genth Period" and has continued since on that boat.

DAULEY
06-03-2003, 07:46 PM
nice 1976 outboard 16 for sale with 200hp look under boats forsale price is only 3800

oldLenny
06-03-2003, 07:59 PM
Richard, where did you get your info on the "CHOPPER GUN" theory. It is news to me...I have looked at a lot of stuff with these boats and I have yet to be aware of this fact. I don't buy it, maybe you know something I don't. :confused:

To the best of "MY" knowledge, choppers were NEVER used in DONZI construction during any period. (Aronow was too early for this tech,Teleflex/Chisholm, Chisholm in both ownerships didn't, Genth didn't, OMC, "news to me"???. In the "old" days they used cloth, today they use mat, (not Mattyboy) then rovens and engineered fabrics and knits. Call OMC on this, I would love to find out. (AKA Chris Craft of the time)

...hmmm...when did you become a "glassman?"

As for the original question, they are all put together well enough to withstand the test of time. For collectibility I would buy on prior to '88. For just a "boat", but a DONZI and the respect and awe it commands, I would buy any one of them. There is nothing wrong with the OMC years. Keep in mind, they were being built by a Company that had built many times more hulls than "DONZI" ever did. I think the questionable fact is the powerplants (OMC versus MERC, Ford versus Chevy.) Relax, buy a good one, something looked after and everything else will be fine. If it were me, I would buy a Chev powered/ Merc legged boat. That is just my opinion.

Not trying to stir up the Chev/Ford issue either.
Nor the Volvo/OMC/Merc issue. You will find that the Volvo's are stronger. the OMC King Cobras bulletproof, but hydro-dynamics and parts become an issue between these two.

Post what you are going to buy and people here will help you.

GUARANTEED!

MOP
06-03-2003, 08:14 PM
Tux I have a 91 16, I have crawled around under the decks and in the engine hole before I put the new motor in sure looks hand laid. Am I wrong?

Ed Donnelly
06-03-2003, 08:31 PM
Any year is a great year for a 16'. Some years have steering on the left other years steering on the right .What do you prefer? Both my 16' and my Criterion are on the left. I could not imagine owning a boat with right hand steering.That kind of keeps me out of 99.9% of the market. What ever you decide, there is someone on this board who will have the same year as you do. Problems with it? There are more pros on this board than you can imagine.Good Luck...Ed

Bad-Tat
06-03-2003, 08:50 PM
Bob,
I have a 90 16' that is for sale. E-mail me for particulars. Good solid boat.

CDMA
06-03-2003, 08:57 PM
MOP,

Donzi does use chopper guns currently and has since 1987. Your boat was built with a chopper gun but that is not necessarliy a bad thing. Properly used a chopper gun isn't a bad thing. Some of the best manufacturers in the world use chopper guns for the first "skim coat" to avoid any issues with the binding agent associated with chopped strand mat.

Improperly used a chopper gun is your worst nightmare.

Tux,

You are really pushing it

C

And I quote " If I ever want any drugs I know where to go" eek! :D wink :p

Ranman
06-03-2003, 09:12 PM
Sorry for the giant pic, but I wanted to show the detail. What's that thing hanging from the ceiling that shoots a string of fiberglass into the mold while the other guys roll it out with resin?

http://www.donzi.net/photos/FactoryMold05.jpg

CDMA
06-03-2003, 09:17 PM
My hero....

Rootsy
06-03-2003, 09:18 PM
Bob,

I've owned a 97 16 for the past 4 years. I have very few if any complaints. Boat came with a 350 / alpha combo and it never gave me so much as a hiccup... VDO gauges and I have 2+2 seating (similar to teh 18 and 22 classics) but oyu can also get the wrap around as has been available since 1964.

Standard power is the 4.3 V6 these days with the optional 5.0 litre. the 350 was an anomoly for a few years in the mid 90's. I was told by my local donzi dealer that merc was short on 305's so tehy detuned (somehow) 350's and rated them to 210 pshp and subbed em for 305's.

if anyone questions the integrity of the 90's hulls, at least post OMC.... i am putting 375+ hp through my transom at well over 70 mph... and i have 1 stinking stress crack in the whole layup. WHERE I DROPPED THE FIRE EXSTINGQUISHER! right where the tub floor rolls up into the sides of the tub under the dash... i've been through my boat with a fine toothed comb... nothing is left unturned... damn engineers cant leave well enough alone ya know :D

Rootsy

now where'd i put that supercharger eek!

DUCATIF1
06-03-2003, 09:44 PM
Those little 16's have to be incredible rides with a SBC in such a small boat. I could imagine very wet ride and maybe a little scary in rougher waters?? What speeds do they hit with stock 350? Just curious.

Rootsy
06-03-2003, 09:50 PM
Duc,

54 - 55 in stock 210 pshp form... bout the same with the 305, a bit faster with the 4.3 Litre cause of lack of weight and still having some good HP numbers.

TuxedoPk
06-04-2003, 09:21 AM
Lenny- I first learned about the chopper gun being used from a former Donzi employee, and more recently from a current Donzi employee.

...hmmm...when did you become a "glassman?"
I've read quite a bit on fiber, aramids, resins and realize that I've only skimmed the surface on how much their is to know about the topic. I'm years away from considering myself to be any authority on the subject and yield to you and many many others on the board when it comes to this topic.

My comment was a simple statement of fact about what was done, and it was made in jest to the ribbing I was getting on a different thread.

CDMA- Please correct me if I'm wrong, or supplement this comment- Donzi is only using chopper gun today on their smaller line (classics), not on their bigger ticket boats.

Pushing it- Perhaps; but all in good fun. I'm glad to be getting my hazing over early in the season :D

Donzigo
06-04-2003, 09:40 AM
Tux ........ uhhhhhhhhhhh, does that big mold on the above post, with those guys using that chopper gun look like a classic to you?

You're too funny........

goatee
06-05-2003, 12:31 AM
education vs. opinion... i'm learning in all areas, and its a fine line!....but i'll say one thing. on this board, omc has a better over all rating than i"ve heard in the past. i think i'll take the word of the pro's! but i will still lean towards merc when it comes time to buy.