PDA

View Full Version : Trim Gauge Question

Riley
08-15-2003, 10:16 AM
I've got the VDO blue line gauges in my "brand C" boat, and the trim gauge won't budge off of the "full up" postion. I"ve messed with the sender switch on the side of the outdrive, with no results at the gauge. Is the gauge shot, or an I missing something simple here?

As a side note, a couple of times this summer the Alpha outdrive has "settled" while the boat is sitting on the trailer. It doesn't do it alll of the time, and there are no noticeable leaks in the system. Ideas?

MOP
08-15-2003, 07:32 PM
Does the gauge stay pinned all the time or does it go full up when the key is turned on? If the trim sender gets wet internally it will pin the gauge when the key is turned on, turn the key on then disconnect the sender if the gauge drops replace the sender.

Rootsy
08-15-2003, 08:43 PM
and as far as the leakdown issue of the drive and no visible leaks.. there is a checkvalve in the pump i do believe... been a FEW years since i've had one apart so i am digging deep...

MOP
08-16-2003, 08:01 AM
Another thought! Check the wire going from the engine down to the transom shield. Rare but I have found a few that over time have chaffed through and screwed up the gauge. You have to look at the whole thing, most the time its at one end but many times with electrical stuff it is something in the circut.

RickR
08-16-2003, 05:53 PM
For a temporary fix try dismantling the sender on the gimball wishbone. Clean and relube.

MOP
08-16-2003, 06:29 PM
When I check a trim set up the first thing I do is disconnect the wires going to the transom shield, turn on the key and touch the two wires on the engine side together and watch the gauge if the gauge scales full usully the gauge is Ok. Now like Poodle said hook an OHM meter up to the two wires from the transom shield cycle the sender and watch the OHM meter, the reading should match the manual if no reading sender is shot.