PDA

View Full Version : Galvanic trailer corrosion delema

Ralph Savarese
08-15-2003, 09:13 AM
I am tossed as to buy a Rolls trailer with stainless hardware or go with a loadrite without!
The load Rite dealer I spoke to says you will have problems with stainless and aluminum in salt water. Rolls on the other hand says the opposite. who is correct based on your experences .
Ralph

RickSE
08-15-2003, 11:26 AM
I've never owned an aluminum trailer but would have to agree with Load Rite. I think it's better to have good quality plated steel fasteners rather than stainless on an aluminum trailer. There is just too much galvanic potential between aluminum and stainless. I work in the machine design industry and we have a lot of vendors who will not accept machines with stainless fasteners in aluminum parts.

Ralph Savarese
08-15-2003, 03:02 PM
Cool,
Thanks for the info I went with the
Load Rite

BigGrizzly
08-15-2003, 07:13 PM
It is true about the stainless and aluminum. it has happened to me. poped the heads off the bolts and splinterd the aluminum stringers I installed in my 1966 16. of corse this was under deck so their was always some dampness there. On the other hand poodle is also correct cleaning is the best cure for problems. I personally like both brands and would not hesitate to buy either either one stainless or not. My current trailer is a right-on similar to load-rite. but its funny all the aluminum parts have iron bolts and the galvanized parts(axels etc.) have stainless faseners.

Cuda
08-15-2003, 07:53 PM
Aluminum+stainless=good. I have a 1988 Fastload trailer under my fishboat. I have had absolutely no problems with galvanic corrosion in a 100% saltwater environment, and I'm ashamed to say there were a few years when I was less than faithful with the maintenence of it.

Rootsy
08-15-2003, 08:39 PM
hmmmm, now what if you hard clear anodized the aluminum and installed SS fasteners? :D

i really did hate chemistry...

BillG
08-16-2003, 11:30 AM
Aluminum and stainless are far apart on the galvanic corrosion chart, which means that they are not compatable in a wet environment and will cause problems. If you wash the trailer everytime you use it with fresh water there will be little problem. You Florida guys have the worst care senario, hot salt water.
Bill G

Cuda
08-16-2003, 12:50 PM
I don't think the trailer stays wet long enough for the galvanic corrosion to become a factor. While immersed in salt water, the two metals in effect create a battery.

Cuda
08-16-2003, 12:53 PM
RickS:
I've never owned an aluminum trailer but would have to agree with Load Rite. I think it's better to have good quality plated steel fasteners rather than stainless on an aluminum trailer. There is just too much galvanic potential between aluminum and stainless. I work in the machine design industry and we have a lot of vendors who will not accept machines with stainless fasteners in aluminum parts. If by plated steel, you mean zinc coated, I can tell you without question that they don't last any longer than plain old steel bolts. I had a trailer with all stainless except the ubolts were zinc plated. The ubolts were the only thing that rusted. This is not theory, I witnessed it first hand.

MOP
08-16-2003, 01:57 PM
We have been using aluminum trailer for many years, the crack well before they rot at the fastners. But if you let things get loose they do tend to burn stuff, keep the bolts tight giving good electrical contact and enjoy. I very moderate guess would be that our work trialer has been dunked about 400 times a season, it is an 90 and the only fault due to our positioning boats where they balance not where the trailer would like them stucturaly is we cracked it up forward. It was welded two yeads ago and is still just fine. I would not hesitate to go with the aluminum.

My 3-1/2 cents

Forrest
08-17-2003, 06:56 AM
BillG:
Aluminum and stainless are far apart on the galvanic corrosion chart, which means that they are not compatable in a wet environment and will cause problems. If you wash the trailer everytime you use it with fresh water there will be little problem. You Florida guys have the worst care senario, hot salt water.
Bill G BillG is right! Mercury and Volvo use stainless steel fasteners all over their aluminum-cased outdrives. Stainless is the way go.

Ralph Savarese
08-17-2003, 07:23 PM
Thanks for all the input guys. I bought the
load Rite My 92 load Rite galvanized is still going strong. Also I didn't want to make a drive to Fla. So I am going to put, and yes I am ashamed to say Bayliner on that and use the new trailer for the Donzi.
I bought this Bayliner Cheep Divorce case were he had to get rid of it now! 21.5 Bowrider new small block Chevy Volvo 275 outdrive and a new Interior. Needed a floor and cover Great shape $700 this thing is on a dangerous trailer.
Ralph

MOP
08-17-2003, 08:34 PM
Ralph there is no such thing as a "Bad Boat" just bad pricing! Any boat bought right is a deal as long as it serves you well and sells with out to much loss. I think you Scapped a good one that will end up turning a buck or two more to you in the end.

BigGrizzly
08-18-2003, 07:24 PM
Forrest thoes stainless fasiner have monel heili-coil in the holes, they are not stainless on stainless, The other part the Volvo drive has the least corrosive alumium in the industry.

BillG
08-18-2003, 08:44 PM
Grizz,
You sure got that right.
Bill G